MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colored jerseys can work really well for a few teams. The Blue Jays and Mariners come to mind as successes. I just don't think a colored jersey is a necessity for every team. And even if colored jerseys do work well for some teams, I feel in my personal opinion that in every case, the best options are still white and gray.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

The only change I want to see for the Dodgers (other than dropping the road alt) is for them to lose the sleeve patch. It has always looked out of place to me.

I know this is probably unpopular, but I liked when the Dodgers had a white outline on the white jersey numbers. The Rays still do this. I guess it got started because, like the Rays currently, they used the same numbers on both home and road (and the Rays use them on both alts, as well). It may be superfluous, but I'd love to see the Dodgers ad a base-layer to the back font in the color of the jerseys. There's something nice about that little unnecessary touch that you can only see up-close.

The Reds also had that white outline on the home jersey numbers 1985-1992.

On the last Sunday home game for the Angels, the promotion was the 2016 schedule. There was more navy than red on the promotion. Could that be a foreshadowing of the addition of navy?

That would be great. Or at least make the road hats a navy with red brim. I mean the Cardinals ditched that, so I don't see why the Angels couldn't adopt it and make it their own. I love the Angels' look, but sometimes the overuse of red gets in the way for me. And if the road hat idea doesn't fly, maybe ditch the red alt and adopt a navy one instead?

I've said it before, but the Angels cap combination of navy crow / red bill is their best look and is one that dates back to their beginnings. There was no really good reason to abandon it. Something like this would certainly be an upgrade and would honor their tradition, as well...

pDSP1-16884831dt.jpg

I would love to see this as an only road hat. Are there any photoshop guys who like to try and do a mock-up with this being worn with the road gray uniform?

The only change I want to see for the Dodgers (other than dropping the road alt) is for them to lose the sleeve patch. It has always looked out of place to me.

I know this is probably unpopular, but I liked when the Dodgers had a white outline on the white jersey numbers. The Rays still do this. I guess it got started because, like the Rays currently, they used the same numbers on both home and road (and the Rays use them on both alts, as well). It may be superfluous, but I'd love to see the Dodgers ad a base-layer to the back font in the color of the jerseys. There's something nice about that little unnecessary touch that you can only see up-close.

The Reds also had that white outline on the home jersey numbers 1985-1992.

And in both cases, I preferred them. I've never had an issue with white outlines on a white jersey, or outlined numbers in general. If your colors are white and red or white and blue, nothing wrong with having a blue number with a white outline, etc. For the Dodgers, it visually made the numbers look better proportioned, because you could just barely make out that white outline.

On the last Sunday home game for the Angels, the promotion was the 2016 schedule. There was more navy than red on the promotion. Could that be a foreshadowing of the addition of navy?

That would be great. Or at least make the road hats a navy with red brim. I mean the Cardinals ditched that, so I don't see why the Angels couldn't adopt it and make it their own. I love the Angels' look, but sometimes the overuse of red gets in the way for me. And if the road hat idea doesn't fly, maybe ditch the red alt and adopt a navy one instead?

I've said it before, but the Angels cap combination of navy crow / red bill is their best look and is one that dates back to their beginnings. There was no really good reason to abandon it. Something like this would certainly be an upgrade and would honor their tradition, as well...

pDSP1-16884831dt.jpg

I would love to see this as an only road hat. Are there any photoshop guys who like to try and do a mock-up with this being worn with the road gray uniform?

On the topic of the Angels, I greatly preferred their late 80s look as the California Angels, when they still used navy and red and had standard MLB Block 2 numbers. I'm not a fan of their Rangers-like numbers they have now, and there are so many red and white teams in baseball. Their "halo" caps were unique and made them stand out even among the other navy and red teams.

pDSP1-16884831dt.jpg

AngelsNavy_zpszeub4o9n.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm pretty certain the Dodgers lost the outlines at the same time they got the current roads and went to Coolbase. 2007 I think.

I feel like those thin back numbers have been in place longer than 2007, though. So I'm not sure when they originated, but it's been an oversight ever since.

I wouldn't mind it as much if there was NNOB and thus the numbers were taller, because then it would balance out the thinness. But even when the Dodgers had that short-lived phase, the numbers were the same height they are now.

Can you (or someone else) post pictures of the Dodgers using the thicker number font on the back? Every picture I can find shows the thinner variant.

I really like what the Angels have now. BUT, navy crowns, navy belts/shoes, and yellow halos would look really nice, too. It's such a tough choice (other than yellow halos instead of silver, which should be obvious), because I love how the Angels are going as heavy on red as the Dodgers do on blue, and yet navy blue would bring out some of that red and make the whole thing look more interesting, not to mention staying truer to the 1961-1996 Angels. It's really a coin toss to me.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Damn, I'd have to agree. I was fine with the Angels being red and white, but looking back at their California Angels set during the 80s, I realized that they would benefit from being navy and red. It was their original color set, and I particularly like the 1988-1992 era jerseys with the heavier looking word mark and numbers. That cap posted earlier with modern logo on a navy and red color scheme is very nice, and I think it'd be great for the Angels to at least consider a "modern retro" alternate jersey. Especially as I'm not a fan of the "red-on-red" alternates they have now.

I'm pretty certain the Dodgers lost the outlines at the same time they got the current roads and went to Coolbase. 2007 I think.

I feel like those thin back numbers have been in place longer than 2007, though. So I'm not sure when they originated, but it's been an oversight ever since.

I wouldn't mind it as much if there was NNOB and thus the numbers were taller, because then it would balance out the thinness. But even when the Dodgers had that short-lived phase, the numbers were the same height they are now.

Can you (or someone else) post pictures of the Dodgers using the thicker number font on the back? Every picture I can find shows the thinner variant.

Here's a game worn jersey from 1970 (the year was completely arbitrary and doesn't represent any design changes or anything like that):

WlgE6A3.jpg

I'm not seeing the white outline that was allegedly on some rendition of the Dodgers' home uniform, but the numbers are clearly a bit thicker, more in line with the standard MLB block. Like I stated, I read somewhere on this board a while back that at some point, the white outline was removed, and the slightly thinner blue numbers (to account for the outline) remained, creating the "thin" numbers.

People calling for more navy in baseball.

What a world.

I think in this case, it's "acceptable" with the Angels because they started out with navy and red. It would be going back to a look they had for a long time, rather than navy for the sake of navy.

That's the mistake most teams make with their NNOB jerseys, throwbacks and the like. They have the exact same numbers in the exact same position, making them too small and too low on the backs of the jersey.

Good point. At first I was thinking the Giants did it properly, but I just looked and nope, they don't. If you're going to go NNOB, fine, but the numbers should be taller and thus a bit thinner. In that "Fonts by Conrad" thread, one of the available fonts was a thin variation of the standard MLB block font that I had never seen before. Seems like that would be a good application for it.

I really like the Angels in all red. They just need to ditch one of the sleeve patches.

I wouldn't mind a navy-crowned cap as an alternate, but I think it works perfectly with the current red-dominated jerseys. This...

AngelsNavy_zpszeub4o9n.png

...doesn't look unbalanced to me. The red on the uniform from the neck down seems to pop more due to the navy cap.

That Dodgers jersey is beautiful. I have a few of their style sheets, and they show that the team used the thick numbers until 2009. That might not correspond to what was actually worn on-field, though. The thick numbers on the back were not the same exact font as the red numbers on the front of the jersey.

That Dodgers jersey is beautiful. I have a few of their style sheets, and they show that the team used the thick numbers until 2009. That might not correspond to what was actually worn on-field, though. The thick numbers on the back were not the same exact font as the red numbers on the front of the jersey.

It's odd, I was re-watching footage of the '88 WS and even there, the thinner numbers appear to be on the jerseys. So now I'm not sure what to think. Maybe the Dodgers have always had a slightly thinner variant of the standard MLB block font, and I just thought at some point they had the standard width. (The red numbers on the front of the jersey).

But regardless, it doesn't really matter. My original point still stands, that I think they either need to be larger (dare I say go NNOB?) or go with the standard block.

BTW, I bought that navy and red Angels cap that was posted earlier. I just re-watched the 1986 game between the Angels and Rangers that gave them the AL West title and man, the Angels had a really nice set back then. Navy and red, the slightly off-centered word mark, the thicker, standard MLB block font 2, and even stripes down the pants. Not saying it was one of the best looks in baseball, but it certainly had a personality that is lacking on the team today. I would be all in favor of the Angels doing a "modern classic" with that look, a la the Blue Jays. Even if it was just some kind of alternate. The Angels do need to cut down on the number of patches on their uniform. I like their primary/cap logo a lot, but it doesn't need to be everywhere.

BTW, I bought that navy and red Angels cap that was posted earlier. I just re-watched the 1986 game between the Angels and Rangers that gave them the AL West title and man, the Angels had a really nice set back then. Navy and red, the slightly off-centered word mark, the thicker, standard MLB block font 2, and even stripes down the pants. Not saying it was one of the best looks in baseball, but it certainly had a personality that is lacking on the team today. I would be all in favor of the Angels doing a "modern classic" with that look, a la the Blue Jays. Even if it was just some kind of alternate. The Angels do need to cut down on the number of patches on their uniform. I like their primary/cap logo a lot, but it doesn't need to be everywhere.

I loved the California Angels uniforms of that era.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Archived