MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

If anyone could get away with a sublimated diamond pattern, it would be the D-Backs. However, I hope this doesn't catch on on a larger scale. I love baseball for the reason is that the foundation of the game- including uniforms- hasn't changed in forever. It's pure. Many uniforms are classic, untouched in 100 years in some cases. There's not much experimenting with uniform styles and templates as there is in the other major sports. The played with the TATC thing for a bit, and it was cute, but it was a short lived thing and that's fine.

Anyways, given a few solid days to soak these new unis in, I love the new word marks. Their logo set is great. The addition of the turquoise will never look good. I'm hoping one of two things happens in next couple of seasons. Either ditch it completely and stick with the decent desert scheme, or go back to a modernization of your original set.

I think they tried to pull an Atlanta Hawks here and throw in a random color from the past into a new fresh scheme. It doesn't work in this case.

I love baseball for the reason is that the foundation of the game- including uniforms- hasn't changed in forever. It's pure. Many uniforms are classic, untouched in 100 years in some cases. There's not much experimenting with uniform styles and templates as there is in the other major sports.

Agreed. All the major sports in America have significant history and classic uniforms and I'm disappointed when any of the leagues' teams disrespect that history with crass 'modern' unis. But baseball is the oldest and most history-obsessed so it hurts most when a baseball team puts out trendy garbage like this Arizona uni.

There's also the point that baseball is still a very slow game with no clock, more skill-based than physical and generally played outside in a pastoral setting; all of those aspects clash with 'modern' uni design. I actually think you could get away with tighter and flamboyant/stylized baseball unis in some kind of faster paced winter dome league but that kind of aesthetic is totally wrong for MLB.

The Diamondbacks could pull off a black-red-teal color scheme in a more traditional template and still push the envelope so to speak, while looking good, but it wouldn't be going into Russell Arena Football League territory like this one is. I kind of already associate that color scheme with snakes anyways. HELLO Detroit Vipers.

The Diamondbacks could pull off a black-red-teal color scheme in a more traditional template and still push the envelope so to speak, while looking good, but it wouldn't be going into Russell Arena Football League territory like this one is.

Yeah, in regards to Arizona having more freedom to do something different because they're younger, I do agree to a certain extent. But I would limit that envelope pushing to colors and perhaps logo design. Colors like teal and purple are actually quite appropriate for teams born in the decade when those colors were hot and the original Arizona 'A' is great example of design that both looks great and works much better for a younger team. But that's where I draw the line. Modern fonts/numbers are totally out of place on a baseball uni (they're a significant reason why the current Phils uni is so poor) and it's plainly obvious that stylized uni 'enhancements' like sublimation break the MLB uni template.

And a problem with saying that a team should be able to do whatever they want with their unis because it's a young franchise is that they always take the field against someone else. It looks ridiculous to see uniforms like these opposite classics like the Dodgers' and Giants'. It's especially irritating as a Giants fan because I'm forced to look at these unis for twenty or so games per season.

The Diamondbacks could pull off a black-red-teal color scheme in a more traditional template and still push the envelope so to speak, while looking good, but it wouldn't be going into Russell Arena Football League territory like this one is. I kind of already associate that color scheme with snakes anyways. HELLO Detroit Vipers.

Man I had a Detroit Vipers pennant back in the 90s I wish I knew where that thing went.

McCarthy, you wouldn't even have to push the snake angle that hard when this color scheme is so routinely used and unique to the area:

AA775222.JPG

1bea528f95045a82c97e2595e3866e30.jpg

01181feca34a173b0d6ffb8091e4b901.jpg

That color scheme is absolutely gorgeous especially the last pic... why doesn't the DBack jerseys look like that?

For starters its that toxic glow in the dark sky blue volt color they call teal!

I won't fault them, (The Diamondbacks), for doing something that hasn't been done before. They are a team that can get away with it.

I wish they had incorporated teal into all uniforms. It is either a team color, or it isn't.

The red sublimation at the bottom of the pants is, well, interesting. Maybe I have seen too many horror/slasher films, but those pants look like they are soaked, and spattered in blood to me! That was my first take when seeing the back of the pants.

Anyone else see that, or am I the only one who thinks they look like a crime scene?

I won't fault them, (The Diamondbacks), for doing something that hasn't been done before. They are a team that can get away with it.

I wish they had incorporated teal into all uniforms. It is either a team color, or it isn't.

The red sublimation at the bottom of the pants is, well, interesting. Maybe I have seen too many horror/slasher films, but those pants look like they are soaked, and spattered in blood to me! That was my first take when seeing the back of the pants.

Anyone else see that, or am I the only one who thinks they look like a crime scene?

I thought the same thing. Like the players showing them off at the unveiling (er, excuse me...The Evolution) somehow got cleated around the ankle, without ever having taken the field. :therock:

I love baseball for the reason is that the foundation of the game- including uniforms- hasn't changed in forever. It's pure. Many uniforms are classic, untouched in 100 years in some cases. There's not much experimenting with uniform styles and templates as there is in the other major sports.

Agreed. All the major sports in America have significant history and classic uniforms and I'm disappointed when any of the leagues' teams disrespect that history with crass 'modern' unis. But baseball is the oldest and most history-obsessed so it hurts most when a baseball team puts out trendy garbage like this Arizona uni.

There's also the point that baseball is still a very slow game with no clock, more skill-based than physical and generally played outside in a pastoral setting; all of those aspects clash with 'modern' uni design. I actually think you could get away with tighter and flamboyant/stylized baseball unis in some kind of faster paced winter dome league but that kind of aesthetic is totally wrong for MLB.

Your username and avatar make you my new favorite member here. Love "The Party."

FYI - MLB Shop is now offering 50% off on in-stock authentic jerseys. However, at least from looking at a few, I think they're probably only going to have sizes 56 and 60 in stock for most jerseys.

That's because the new Majestic logo will appear on all the authentics next season. They're clearing out old stock.

FYI - MLB Shop is now offering 50% off on in-stock authentic jerseys. However, at least from looking at a few, I think they're probably only going to have sizes 56 and 60 in stock for most jerseys.

That's because the new Majestic logo will appear on all the authentics next season. They're clearing out old stock.

Doing that almost three seasons later. Should've happened when it was introduced mid 2013.

I thought the same thing. Like the players showing them off at the unveiling (er, excuse me...The Evolution) somehow got cleated around the ankle, without ever having taken the field. :therock:

Curt Shilling would love to wear them ;)

• IceCap locked this topic