MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pMLB2-23232364dt.jpgpMLB2-23102308dt.jpg

These new merchandise images that have arisen, admittedly, look very much better than the photos we originally got. This is not, at all, what the reveal images looked like.

CVWVQQmUAAAImVt.jpgdbacks_zpsrk4npwht.jpgimage_zpszvkr9wzt.jpeg

That jersey image is clearly a photoshop job, with the letters and numbers put on a blank template. I've been decrying the terrible lighting choices by the team in every single reveal they've done, and I still don't understand why people would use such bad lighting in an instance when you're trying to show something to everyone. However, unless there's going to be a huge difference in natural light, or even the dimly lit Chase Field, the actual jersey color is much, much, much lighter. It's not teal, as has been said often, but it doesn't even seem to really be a turquoise. It's extremely pale, more akin to a soap. A slight bit more green and it would be getting into jade territory.

If these jerseys look like the merchandise pictures, they'll be okay, and they could even look great, but right now they really look... off. There's too many outlines of contrasting colors in places, and none of the outlines match. They chose a weird color to sub in for turquoise. I... I just don't know.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The teal trim is hardly even noticeable around the wordmark. I hope that's just a consequence of the :censored:ty lighting, because if it's much more visible in proper baseball stadium lighting, it'll look better.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Does not look like a major league cap and jersey

What problem do you have with that cap?

As with everything in life, different folks have different taste.....and i don´t think you can combine red and teal, teal looks best with black, white and silver, like the Florida Marlins and the Sharks of the NHL used to have

I hope so. It's a good looking combo, it's unique, and they will own it.

I think people are being a little dramatic with the "neon" and "volt" comments. Is it that serious? It's not either of those things, so who cares? Compare that cap and jersey to the southwest Native American images. Is there that much of a difference to get all worked up over? I have a feeling that some of these same people had a problem with the Rockies and Marlins introducing purple and teal to MLB. "It doesn't look like MLB uniforms." It initially doesn't only because it's something new. A year from now, most people won't even give it a second thought.

But why should the d-back use Native American images or colors, diamondbacks are snakes, and aren't teal-green

Their former colors were the best imo, dark-red like the canyons, sand like the desert sand.

And the db sleeve logo was awesome and underrated

I think people are being a little dramatic with the "neon" and "volt" comments. Is it that serious? It's not either of those things, so who cares? Compare that cap and jersey to the southwest Native American images. Is there that much of a difference to get all worked up over? I have a feeling that some of these same people had a problem with the Rockies and Marlins introducing purple and teal to MLB. "It doesn't look like MLB uniforms." It initially doesn't only because it's something new. A year from now, most people won't even give it a second thought.

But why should the d-back use Native American images or colors. Their former colors were the best imo, purple like the Rockies, teal like the Marlins.

And they shouldn't have moved away from them.

FYP

I still can't get over how poorly timed the Sedona red-black-sand was in the first place. You ditch a bold color scheme that's uniquely your own for basically Western Astros 2.0?

Really though, it was right around the time Houston started wearing more and more brick red. So when Arizona switched in the first place, my initial reaction couldn't help but be "GUYS. Houston just did that!! Fire whoever did the sloppy market research here!" The timing alone doomed it for me.

If Arizona came out with it at the beginning in 1998 and beat Houston to the punch, who knows? It might be a different story (though admittedly I don't really like the scheme anyways for either team). But if eight years later a set still makes you think of another team right off the bat, that's not a good thing at all.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

But why should the d-back use Native American images or colors, diamondbacks are snakes, and aren't teal-green

Their former colors were the best imo, dark-red like the canyons, sand like the desert sand.

And the db sleeve logo was awesome and underrated

Diamondback Rattlesnakes aren't Sedona red and black either (well, they have a little black). This color combo is popular in, and heavily associated with, the region. It's a combo that Arizona owns.

pMLB2-23232364dt.jpgpMLB2-23102308dt.jpg

These new merchandise images that have arisen, admittedly, look very much better than the photos we originally got. This is not, at all, what the reveal images looked like.

CVWVQQmUAAAImVt.jpgdbacks_zpsrk4npwht.jpgimage_zpszvkr9wzt.jpeg

That jersey image is clearly a photoshop job, with the letters and numbers put on a blank template. I've been decrying the terrible lighting choices by the team in every single reveal they've done, and I still don't understand why people would use such bad lighting in an instance when you're trying to show something to everyone. However, unless there's going to be a huge difference in natural light, or even the dimly lit Chase Field, the actual jersey color is much, much, much lighter. It's not teal, as has been said often, but it doesn't even seem to really be a turquoise. It's extremely pale, more akin to a soap. A slight bit more green and it would be getting into jade territory.

If these jerseys look like the merchandise pictures, they'll be okay, and they could even look great, but right now they really look... off. There's too many outlines of contrasting colors in places, and none of the outlines match. They chose a weird color to sub in for turquoise. I... I just don't know.

Here's a few more images in different lighting:

mlbf_533015983_th_45.jpg

CVZDoLdUEAItLYS.jpg

CVWeQNHU8AEu39u.jpg

Other than the number font and sublimation, I really like that dark-gray road jersey with the turquoise outlines and red trim. So I guess I hate the jersey, but like the color combination.

I wonder how it would look with red replacing the black, so the letters and numbers would be red with white and turquoise trim.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The outlines are poorly done and ruin the appearance of the colors more than the actual colors themselves.. It also doesn't help that they didn't fully commit to the teal.. It's a bit too black heavy for the two unique colors to truly stand out and make a statement within the identity

I've been relatively quiet about these since the unveil... I wanted to see if I felt any better about them after a few days.

I don't.

What I like:

-Wordmarks

-Addition of teal

-Number font

-Snake head logo

-Throwback

What I don't like:

-(everything else)

-cutoff sleeve/pant stripes

-having two sets (one or the other please)

-Spanish jersey

-diamond pattern

That pattern isn't bad as a standalone concept (for other applications... Website, gear, alternate, etc), but it's poorly executed, IMO. It's much too visible on the uniforms, and the way it fills the panels doesn't work at all (again, IMO).

I really do commend the organization for opting for a modern uniform design, but this is something better suited for MiLB or college baseball.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

But why should the d-back use Native American images or colors. Their former colors were the best imo, purple like the Rockies, teal like the Marlins.

FYP

But didn´t the d-back just choose purple and teal because it was popular at the time , with charlotte hornets merchandise selling big time

Diamondback Rattlesnakes aren't Sedona red and black either (well, they have a little black). This color combo is popular in, and heavily associated with, the region. It's a combo that Arizona owns.

I see, okay then, but as an outsider the first thing i think of when it come to Arizona is not teal, i for one associate teal with water, therefore i think it suits teams like the Florida Marlins and the San Jose Sharks.

So I liked the previous desert color combo for Arizona

FYP

But didn´t the d-back just choose purple and teal because it was popular at the time , with charlotte hornets merchandise selling big time

I don't know about purple, but teal was a very popular color during the 90s. But, as noted, a lot of the native artwork of the region used teal and turquoise, so it was a color befitting the region, at least in a cultural sense (as opposed to a geographical sense).

Other than the number font and sublimation, I really like that dark-gray road jersey with the turquoise outlines and red trim. So I guess I hate the jersey, but like the color combination.

I wonder how it would look with red replacing the black, so the letters and numbers would be red with white and turquoise trim.

Me too. Hopefully they can keep the combo for a long time and the goofy features of the jersey will go away.

I don't know that this is a sign of the apocalypse...I recall some strange stuff from my youth (Astros rainbow, White Sox big collars, white sox Habs Stripe, Pirates pillbox) and none of it became a trend.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It's not that serious, no one ever said it was. But this is what we on these boards debate about to entertain ourselves. There's nothing wrong with having an intense yet fair discussion without it becoming "too serious."

As for neon and volt I was using those words to make a relative comparison that it was more of a neon/volt version of teal instead of the original shade of turquoise that the DBacks are apparently trying to bring back.

As for the Marlins and Rockies, I'm a Marlins fan since day one I've never had a problem with the colors of neither them nor the Rockies. And even then, even if anyone hated the teal and purple of those two teams both of them "look like an MLB uniform." Both of those teams had traditional uniform elements and designs in every way possibly with the sole exception of using two new colors. They didn't have drop shadows, angled texts, oversized wordmarks, multiple color combinations, gradients, subliminated patterns, seven different caps, fourteen different uniform combinations, alternates for their alternates, etc.

What the DBacks have now is unique to a fault. It's not taking something old and revamping it, it's creating something entirely new and, while some things may work, overall I think its a clutter of design elements that as a whole don't work because its like they had a list of 20 different ideas and instead of taking the best ones they took all of them. We all know the analogy of throwing a bunch of ideas against the wall and seeing what sticks? Its like the DBacks were using a wall covered in glue because everything stuck.

I'm not talking about the design of the uniform, just the colors. Could it have been executed better? Sure. Two separate issues.

To be fair, I was talking about the design of the uniforms more than the colors so we may be debating two different sides of the same coin.

Archived