MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we're probably getting new authentic jerseys [majestic athletic marked down the prices on their site]

only non playoff teams

I wonder what they're changing about the authentics? All those mark downs are huge so they're obviously trying to clear out everything.

we're probably getting new authentic jerseys [majestic athletic marked down the prices on their site]

only non playoff teams

I wonder what they're changing about the authentics? All those mark downs are huge so they're obviously trying to clear out everything.

The Majestic logo. I'm not sure the new logo is on any of the authentics yet.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

BTW, I bought that navy and red Angels cap that was posted earlier. I just re-watched the 1986 game between the Angels and Rangers that gave them the AL West title and man, the Angels had a really nice set back then. Navy and red, the slightly off-centered word mark, the thicker, standard MLB block font 2, and even stripes down the pants. Not saying it was one of the best looks in baseball, but it certainly had a personality that is lacking on the team today. I would be all in favor of the Angels doing a "modern classic" with that look, a la the Blue Jays. Even if it was just some kind of alternate. The Angels do need to cut down on the number of patches on their uniform. I like their primary/cap logo a lot, but it doesn't need to be everywhere.

I loved the California Angels uniforms of that era.

Yeah, for some reason I completely forgot about it until the last few posts in this topic. You know what they say, you don't know what you've got until its gone. I really don't think the Angels have a bad look now, it's a few minor tweaks away from being one of the better uniforms, but this is really one of the few instances where going back to yet another navy look would be an improvement. If nothing else, bring back that lovely navy and red cap an alternate.

I wish I was any good with concepts, I'd totally do a modern take on their late 80s look.

That Dodgers jersey is beautiful. I have a few of their style sheets, and they show that the team used the thick numbers until 2009. That might not correspond to what was actually worn on-field, though. The thick numbers on the back were not the same exact font as the red numbers on the front of the jersey.

As I said earlier, I did read a post on the Dodgers message boards about the Dodgers possibly adding a pinstripe home uniform for selected day games starting next season and maybe a pinstriped hat to go with it. Also an addition of a blue alternate jersey, possibly for Sunday home and road interleague games only. Then again, mlb message boards are not always the best sources of information when it comes to uniform rebrands. It was only a rumor from what I remember reading. I've read wilder rumors a few years ago like the Angels adopting Mighty Duck colors to their uniform set, which I know will never happen. As for the Dodgers, well, we'll just have to wait and see if they do actually make some subtle changes to their current uniforms, including those two alternates I mentioned.

Here's a mock-up of what the Dodgers would look like in pinstripes:

WF74f5g.png

I'm not a big fan. Their whole look is based in simplicity. Adding a pinstripe home alt is just unnecessary.

Dodgers started using thinner back numbers in 1977, when they added white trim to them and the front script. (Dodger fan since 1969)

Awesome, good to know. That would explain why that 1970 jersey I posted earlier was using a more standard thickness.

But if the reasoning for the thinner variant was due to the white trim, then it does seem like a clear oversight to still be using that variant since the outline was removed (around 1999 or so?)

Dodgers started using thinner back numbers in 1977, when they added white trim to them and the front script. (Dodger fan since 1969)

Awesome, good to know. That would explain why that 1970 jersey I posted earlier was using a more standard thickness.

But if the reasoning for the thinner variant was due to the white trim, then it does seem like a clear oversight to still be using that variant since the outline was removed (around 1999 or so?)

I would say the thinner variant is the standard thickness for the MLB block font, considering only the Royals use the thicker version right now. The Dodgers should be using it too, though.

I would say the thinner variant is the standard thickness for the MLB block font, considering only the Royals use the thicker version right now. The Dodgers should be using it too, though.

Ah, maybe. I'm really not sure which one is "standard" or not. But I agree with you. Unless Dodgers want to go NNOB and make the numbers larger, which I can assume will never happen.

Off-topic, I noticed the Astros were finally wearing their home whites today. I guess they stopped wearing the orange jerseys since they finally had a loss in them.

With tackle twill numbers being multiple layers to achieve "outlines", perhaps the outline layer is what teams should use when using single color numbers.. Not sure if that's basically what's done or not, but either adding an outline in the number color, or using just the outline layer would solve the thickness issue

With tackle twill numbers being multiple layers to achieve "outlines", perhaps the outline layer is what teams should use when using single color numbers.. Not sure if that's basically what's done or not, but either adding an outline in the number color, or using just the outline layer would solve the thickness issue

I think this is fairly standard practice.

Although watching the Astros-Royals game today, I noticed the numbers on the Royals' road uniform looks thinner. The outline layer on the home uniforms is blue, so I assume the road uniform switches this to white, and then a thinner blue layer is applied inside.

I think the Dodgers would look great in pinstripes. Maybe make it their primary home uniform set. The only thing I would change would be the S and no loop through the O. Just like the way their ":Los Angeles" road jersey was from 1999 to 2002.

I think Hell would freeze over before they changed their home uniform. I don't think a pinstripe is bad either, but I don't think we'd ever see it beyond an occasional alt.

Archived