LOGOLYMPIAD 2015

pollux

Logolympiad2015.png

LOGOLYMPIAD is here! Just like all previous editions, the contest will be broken into a series of events, with award icons for each events, as well as banners for overall winners. You can check the previous installments by using the search feature on the site.

This year's competition will include events that cover both sports and non-sports categories.

Events
Just like last year, there will be ten events in total. The order of the events has been determined by a random draw. Events will run for one full week with two events running each week. Events will start on Mondays and Fridays, and will finish the following Mondays and Fridays. The first event will be posted on October 12th. Here is the full calendar of the contest, along with the categories:

EventCalendar2015.png

Rules
Specific criteria will vary by event, but there is an overlying set of rules for the LOGOLYMPIAD:
  • Any registered board member may enter;
  • Participants are limited to ONE entry per event. You may enter as many or as few events as you like;
  • All entries must be your own original work, unless specified. For example, you may use existing logos and images if it is part of the event's criteria. You may not use anyone else's work for any part of your entry;
  • You may use any template you like, unless a template is provided in the event's criteria;
  • I will serve as the contest's referee, and will answer any questions about rules and event criteria. Questions must be asked within the event thread, and will be answered within the same event thread. I will NOT respond to any questions about an event in a PM, instant message or personal email, so don't contact me directly. Any contact via PM, instant message or personal email will be answered in the event's thread for full disclosure.
  • I will be the judge to any dispute.
Anyone caught cheating or otherwise compromising the integrity of the LOGOLYMPIAD will be disqualified, stripped of awards and/or banished from future participation.

Submitting your entries
Failure to follow the guidelines could result in your entry being inadvertently (or intentionally) excluded from judging.

Entries must be emailed to logolympiad (@) gmail (dot) com prior to the set deadline. Subject line should be the event number (Ex: Event 1). Once you submit your entry, it is considered final.

Entries must be submitted as .jpg, .gif or .png formats. The file name format of the submission is: event#_yourusername.extension (Ex: event1_pollux.png). The file must be attached to your email.

All final entries must be 800x600 pixels with at least 70 pixels of white space at the bottom of the image. This means that your presentation has to fit in a 800x530 pixels window (800 pixels wide by 530 pixels high). I will NOT re-size entries that are not properly done, so make sure it's right.

The background of the entries should be solid white, unless otherwise specified. You must not use gradients, shadows, patterns, lines, etc. on your background.

Do not add any text or images to your submission, unless otherwise specified. Do not add the team name, location, the entry number, the event type, etc.

Do not include your name or any other personal identifiers on your submission. Also, do not watermark your work. I will add a watermark to each entry before they get posted for judging. I will also provide each entry with a number. You are expected to keep the identity of your entry anonymous until the end of the event. If you think you know the identity of another designer, keep it to yourself. Anyone who exposes the identity of themselves or anyone else will be DQ'd.

I will NOT contact you if your entry is wrong, therefore make sure that you comply to these guidelines before submitting your entry.

Judging/Awards
The voting will be open to public voting once the event is officially over. Once the finalists have been posted in the event thread, voting will be open for 3 days.

Judging is open to all board members registered BEFORE October 1st. This is to ensure no one is voting for themselves under an alternate login.

Members may vote once per event and may not vote for their own entry (I'll know if you did, and will not count your vote). You may not disclose the identity of any of the designers of the entries until voting closes.

Voting will be via the 3-2-1 points method. Voters will be asked to post their choice for a gold, silver and bronze winner. Gold votes are worth 3 points, Silver worth 2, Bronze worth 1.

What's at stake
Medal icons will be awarded at the conclusion of voting to the top points-earners, based on the above scoring system. Results will be posted in the event thread.

In the event of a tie, multiple medals will be awarded, at the expense of lesser-value medals. If there are two gold winners, no silver will be awarded; if there are two silvers, there will be no bronze.

If there are more than 3 entries for an event, three medals will be awarded. If there are three entries, only gold and silver medals will be awarded. If there are only two entries, only a gold medal will be awarded for the event.

Champion icons will be presented to the top overall winners at the end of the LOGOLYMPIAD and will be determined by total points from weighted medal values - 3 points for each gold, 2 for each silver, 1 for each bronze.

New this year! Points Champion icons will also be presented to the overall winners of the points classification. For each event, points will be given to the top 15 participants, going from 20 points to the event winner to 1 point for the 15th place. The points will be awarded at the end of the voting round using the final standings for the event.

Winners can download the posted medal icons for use in their signatures and on their own websites. Please do not link to the images. If the contest is delayed because the LOGOLYMPIAD account goes over the bandwidth limit, there'll be trouble.

A complete list of event-by-event medal winners and overall standings will be posted in this thread and updated at the close of each event.

The party starts on October 12th. Get some rest until then!

And with that, I hereby declare these games... OPEN!

Event10Results_Medals.png

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great that is that time again. Could you post your images through an alternate host?... I can't see the calendar.

I changed the host from photobucket to Picasa. Is it better? (To me, it'll make things easier in the long run!)

Get ready for: 10 no medal placements from Jake3.roo That is if I don't forget about 7 of the events.

Also- Are Conrad's fonts "legal" for this competition?

Any font will be legal unless specifically mentioned. So yes, Conrad's fonts should be legal.

Awesome. I have a medal to defend ;)

Thanks for coordinating this again, pollux!

My pleasure. We were due anyway!

I was the only person to complete all 10 events last year. This year I have a 2 week old baby on my hands, so I'll be lucky to finish one. Best of luck to everyone though!

Congrats on the baby! I'm looking forward to any submission from you, if you have time :)

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Quick question: Is it legal to use a silhouette image of a skyline that someone else did or would you have to create that yourself?

Skylines are probably the easiest thing to trace in illustrator (or any vector based software). A silhouette is a silhouette, so I can't really disqualify you on that particular basis.

This question is, however, oddly specific when I haven't published an event yet. You'll get all the necessary information in each event's thread.

Can I submit a logo a team uses and was based off my work?

Sometimes you will be asked to create your own logo, other times you will be required to use only the current logos. It really just depends on the event. Just sit tight till the first one starts.

Archived