2015 NCAA FBS Coaching Changes Thread

dfwabel

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a head-coaching move, but an interesting one, nonetheless:

http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/wisconsin-badgers-dave-aranda-lsu-tigers-defensive-coordinator-leaves-010116

Wisconsin DC Dave Aranda will take the same position at LSU. (Funny enough, they open with each other next season). It will probably about double his salary.

For Wisconsin, this is further evidence that their unwritten policy to not pay assistants well is going to continue to keep the program just above the middle of the Big Ten. It is also the last straw in my attempts to suggest that Wisconsin is not a stepping stone for coaches. Aranda's an outstanding coordinator and there really is no reason to have lost him to anything other than an HC job.

For LSU, this is an interesting hire. Actually, it's a great hire. Wisconsin has had one of the best defenses in the country since his arrival and his reputation is top-notch.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Not to bean ass, but it what world would Scony football be considered more than a stepping stone. It's very clearly not a top echelon job.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Not a head-coaching move, but an interesting one, nonetheless:

http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/wisconsin-badgers-dave-aranda-lsu-tigers-defensive-coordinator-leaves-010116

Wisconsin DC Dave Aranda will take the same position at LSU. (Funny enough, they open with each other next season). It will probably about double his salary.

For Wisconsin, this is further evidence that their unwritten policy to not pay assistants well is going to continue to keep the program just above the middle of the Big Ten. It is also the last straw in my attempts to suggest that Wisconsin is not a stepping stone for coaches. Aranda's an outstanding coordinator and there really is no reason to have lost him to anything other than an HC job.

For LSU, this is an interesting hire. Actually, it's a great hire. Wisconsin has had one of the best defenses in the country since his arrival and his reputation is top-notch.

More Wisconsin turnover.

They had a good run with Alvarez and then his hand-picked successor in Bielema, but it seems like everyone leaves Wisconsin for lateral-or-downgrade jobs. When Bielema took the Arkansas job I was shocked. He had UW at the top of the class in the B1G and went to coach a middling Hogs team that seems to trail literally every other SEC West school. Anderson left for Oregon State which feels like a massive downgrade from Wisconsin.

There's got to be some cloak and dagger stuff happening behind the scenes in Madison because their recent on-field play (Rose Bowls, Russell Wilson, Melvin Gordon) would suggest that most coaches would have a good opportunity to succeed there.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

One thing is that they pay their coaches pretty poorly; particularly their assistants. While the Bielema and Anderson departures were bad publicity, I did not worry too much. Bielema had several things going on and Anderson cited the fact that academic standards at Wisconsin make it difficult to recruit. This last move looks like a reflection of the unwillingness to pay assistants. May Aranda goes to LSU for the same salary, but I'd like to have the chance to find out.

The only behind the scene thing I can think of is having Barry Alvarez looking over the coaches' shoulders. But like everything else, this mostly comes down to money.

Not to bean ass, but it what world would Scony football be considered more than a stepping stone. It's very clearly not a top echelon job.

Depends on your definition of "stepping stone." If so, than the majority of jobs are. It's a better destination than, just in the Big Ten, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Purdue, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, and Illinois.

With the current B1G division split and Nebraska not at the top of its game, the door is wide open for Wisconsin to make a push. It seems they'd like to join Minnesota and Illinois in the pack.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It's sad to see Larry step away from UTSA. I think he deserved to truly call time there. Even though it says he stepped down, I'm fairly certain that's not the case. This late in the game I'm not sure who's able to step in and run the program.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

Not a coaching change, but an AD change for USC. Yikes. 

USC Athletic Director Pat Haden To Step Down In June

There are many USC alumni who are thinking that it is about time.  While he inherited Kiffin from Mike Garrett, Haden fired two football coaches, his MBB coach and the baseball coach and his hires haven't done much but for Andy Enfield this season.

It doesn't bode well for Clay Helton as he only has a three year contract with a two year option initiated by USC. 

He is really not a fundraiser, so they need a man/woman who can assist the president in getting the cash for the renovation. 

Back to football, Southern Miss hired Alcorn State HC Jay Hopson to fill the last vacancy and here is a look at the some stats concerning the 28 FBS hires this year.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Twitter's abuzz that Lovie Smith will be hired as his replacement.  Pretty wild if true.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Wow. I'm on board. I mean, it's so Illinois to fire Cubit a couple months after giving him a new 2 year deal...but I guess the ability to move on when a better candidate surfaced was why they did that short of a deal in the first place. 

My B1G friends from other schools have been quick to pooh-pooh the rumored hire saying "he's no Harbaugh (or Meyer or Dantonio)." Yeah, so? He doesn't have to be for this to be a successful hire for Illinois. When the last decade has fans clamoring for the Ron Turner "glory days" (and he was a sub-.500 coach, and not really close to breakeven), Lovie would be a success for the Illini even if he only gets the team back to the middle of the pack.

18 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Illinois picks the damndest of times to fire a coach.  The previous coach gets fired like two weeks before the first game, and now this coach gets fired in March....

It was one week before the season when they canned Beckman. And a friend of mine correctly reminded me that while the new Athletic Director was hired a month ago, he didn't actually officially start until today. I mean, you're still right. It's an interesting time to fire a coach (to say the least), but I guess he wanted to make his mark right away.

21 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Illinois picks the damndest of times to fire a coach.  The previous coach gets fired like two weeks before the first game, and now this coach gets fired in March....

When Florida fired Ron Zook (a former Illini coach) , AD Jeremy Foley said it best, regarding NCAA sports which have lots of $$$:

“What should be done eventually, must be done immediately.”

Cubit was going to he fired in November/December, thus get rid of him now and well for his staff, welcome to those who will never earn over $85K/year. 

Cubit is about to earn $950K for four months work.  Great gig if you were 56-54 as a FBS coach.

Archived