AmeriLeague, a new minor basketball league

Waffles

Stumbled on this from a Adrian Wojnarowski tweet - it looks like a Las Vegas-based developmental basketball league is launching shortly.

From their website:

The AmeriLeague is the United States’ premier professional basketball league for the game’s top up-and-coming prospects. The AmeriLeague features the top talent from around the globe and offers a stage for competition and skills development unlike those that have been established prior.

League logo:

67523_AMERILEAGUE-e1440784192434.png

Teams:

41AW.jpg40N-2.jpg

41EE.jpg41NN.jpg

41AX.jpg41B.jpg

This is giving me a vibe of one of those Concept Forum projects where the backstory of the league and teams is more thought-out than the designs. Very strong early-to-mid-2000s look to these too.

How many things can we pick apart about this venture...

1. It's called the "Amerileague", but all teams are based in Las Vegas.

2. Amateur rendering of logo in poorly kerned font choice

3. All teams use one of 2 fonts for numberS (Impact or Black Hawk)

4. Gambling-themed names for 3 teams (always good for a fledging league to associate with gambling)

5. No white uniforms, very rec-league look

6. "Trendy" non-plural/mascot team names, like 702 and I-15.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Stumbled on this from a Adrian Wojnarowski tweet - it looks like a Las Vegas-based developmental basketball league is launching shortly.

From their website:

The AmeriLeague is the United States’ premier professional basketball league for the game’s top up-and-coming prospects. The AmeriLeague features the top talent from around the globe and offers a stage for competition and skills development unlike those that have been established prior.

Wouldn't that be... I don't know... the NBA?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

That Dealers logo seems to be the Iowa Energy logo with some sort of poker chip covering the outside of it.

DLeagueIowaLogo.PNGscreen-shot-2015-05-13-at-11-52-51-pm.jp

Wow. That's more than a little "inspired"...between the angle, the inline team name, the bolts coming off the circular shape, and the face inside the poker chip, this is basically badly-executed theft.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I give them six months before they fold.

I say this league.doesn't even make it to training camp.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I give them six months before they fold.

I say this league.doesn't even make it to training camp.

Well, obviously the biggest issue is the D-League already exists. The problem I've had with all these leagues is they always try to compete with established leagues during the same season. If this being conducted during the late spring/early summer, it might work as some kind of D-League alternative.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Archived