College Basketball 2016: Houston, we have a full court press

buzzcut

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't even count on Tom Izzo in March anymore, the Spartans making the Final Four as a 7 last year, yet they lose in the first round the year after? This is so puzzling. 

File:Virginia Tech Hokies logo.svg

9 minutes ago, DScruggy729 said:

Can't even count on Tom Izzo in March anymore, the Spartans making the Final Four as a 7 last year, yet they lose in the first round the year after? This is so puzzling. 

I think the perfect record went away in like a 4/5 or 3/6 game a couple years ago, but Michigan State had an astounding record in the NCAA tournament when they were the higher seed.  That was one of my dependable bracket strategies back when I did these things...always go with MSU when they're the higher seed.

I didn't fill out a bracket but I haven't talked to anybody that didn't have Michigan State in the Final Four.  Michigan State going pretty far in the tourney just felt like one of those things you could count on every year.

Now another 2 seed, Oklahoma, has their hands full with Cal State Bakersfield.

IUe6Hvh.png

Serious question: is MTSU > MSU the biggest upset in the history of the tournament?

I'm going with "no," but I'd like to hear other opinions. It's the 8th all-time 15-over-2 upset, and the 4th in 4 years.

I think we will see a 16>1 in the next 5 years.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

2 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Serious question: is MTSU > MSU the biggest upset in the history of the tournament?

I'm going with "no," but I'd like to hear other opinions. It's the 8th all-time 15-over-2 upset, and the 4th in 4 years.

I don't think it's the biggest 15 over 2 upset; I think MTSU got underseeded. They probably should've been a 14 seed.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

5 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

I'm with ya.  Hell, Oregon plays later tonight. They're this year's weakest 1-seed and the Pac-12 has already gone down as a total bust this postseason.

As for the biggest 15-over-2 upset ever? Lehigh over Duke in 2012. It's Duke. It's Coach K. It's a top 3 recruiting class ever year. Pretty sure the entire nation got to enjoy that one!

6uXNWAo.png

ESPN Tournament challenge had over 13 million submissions.  

Three perfect brackets remain.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

3 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

I don't think it's the biggest 15 over 2 upset; I think MTSU got underseeded. They probably should've been a 14 seed.

Playing DA here, but I also think Michigan State should've been a 1 over Oregon.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

2 minutes ago, CS85 said:

ESPN Tournament challenge had over 13 million submissions.  

Three perfect brackets remain.

Likely belonging to people who filled out thirty different brackets so they can annoy you with "I PICKED THAT UPSET!!"

6uXNWAo.png

I wouldn't call it the biggest 15 over 2 upset ever... that goes to Richmond over Syracuse in 1991. First time is always the best, they say.

Still, congrats to MTSU for the win and as for Michigan State... I know that others don't give a damn about my bracket but.... Ya Killing Me, Sparty!

18 minutes ago, sc49erfan15 said:

SWAC, MEAC, Ivy, MAAC andPatriot upsets in the past were bigger.  This edition of C-USA has done well in two years. The selection committee doesn't seem to know how to seed them.

EDIT: As for a 16 defeating a 1 within five years, I disagree.  This season has the most losses for the four, #1 seeds ever. Not that MSU would've made a difference in that stat, this season is an outlier for no very dominant team(s).

Archived