Why do goalies always use #1, 30, 31, 35, or 39?

habsfan1

it was based on the bunks in sleeper cars on trains. Back in the day, teams traveled exclusively by train, and usually far enough that they had sleeping cars.

The best bunk went to the most important man on the team, the goalie. The goalie was #1 on the list and got the #1 jersey. Then the most important was the top defenseman, who wore #2. Beyond that gets a bit subjective by team. It seems that most American teams would keep their defensemen at the top of that list, with #4 going to an important defenseman, while in Quebec, #4 became attached to the top forward.

When backup goalies were finally added, they were at the bottom of the list, below even scratched players, usually taking the #30 spot on the roster.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

This is from a really old issue of GOAL magazine (do they still publish that? It was a pretty decent publication), but it was linked to uniwatchblog WAAAAAAY back in the day. It's a really great read if you take the time. Click to enlarge

numbers1_zpshlikhp6z.jpg

numbers2_zpsqjsw4gc0.jpg

numbers3_zpszvv7jvtc.jpg

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

it was based on the bunks in sleeper cars on trains. Back in the day, teams traveled exclusively by train, and usually far enough that they had sleeping cars.

The best bunk went to the most important man on the team, the goalie. The goalie was #1 on the list and got the #1 jersey. Then the most important was the top defenseman, who wore #2. Beyond that gets a bit subjective by team. It seems that most American teams would keep their defensemen at the top of that list, with #4 going to an important defenseman, while in Quebec, #4 became attached to the top forward.

When backup goalies were finally added, they were at the bottom of the list, below even scratched players, usually taking the #30 spot on the roster.

When I used to be really in to hockey it seemed that (at least on the Flyers), 2-6 were always defensemen, 7-20 forwards, and then it was a free-for-all after that.

You never saw position players with 30, 31, 33, or 35 though. For some reason, 32 was popular with position players but not goalie - not sure how that worked out.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Good read.

Whenever I created a player (myself) on a video game, I chose numbers 30, 38, or 46. 46 is kinda special to me: no team in the four major sports have retired it. When I get my Kings jersey I'll probably have 46 on it...just like my Chargers jersey.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

Archived