Oldschoolviking's college football concepts - Golden Gophers added

oldschoolvikings

Nebraska/Wisconsin seem to look more alike here than they do for real...though maybe that's just this medium vs. photos/game action.

Wisconsin has thinner sleeve stripes than Nebraska and yours seem to not catch that so much. Wisconsin's should be even thinner. Maybe dropping the black shadow on the W contributes too (but I totally support that).

Other than that, I think the board has two philosophies: 1. Wisconsin must overhaul because Nebraska was first and 2. There are some tweaks that could be done but ultimately we'll live with the similarities.

Going with #2: I favor one stripe on Nebraska's pants to match the helmet. One team should probably change to an even less-blocky font, but I love block and I don't want UW going to some loopy font. I'd consider superfluous double-outlining (white-on-red-on-white like the hockey team did until a few years ago). But if they ever consider that, they'd probably go to black outlining, which I do not want.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

A few tweaks I think need to be done.

Remove all of the black from Minnesota, it's not a school color and they simply don't need it.

Try something new with IU's pant stripe, right now the stripe makes them look too much like Oklahoma

And I don't think Illinois' golf pencil logo looks good on a helmet. I'd try their old Illinois text logo.

Great work still.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

I think the Illinois helmet should be orange with the current block I. I think Indiana would look better with their traditional IU logo. I like Northwestern's white helmets with a purple N. Wisconsin should use their alternate red helmet that is a negative of the white helmet to differentiate from UNL. Ohio State's shoulder numbers should be white. Testudo should be somewhere on Maryland's uniforms. Rutgers should switch gray for black. 7 of the 14 Big Ten Conference schools have some shade of red for their colors (Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, Rutgers, and Wisconsin).

Nebraska/Wisconsin seem to look more alike here than they do for real...though maybe that's just this medium vs. photos/game action.

Wisconsin has thinner sleeve stripes than Nebraska and yours seem to not catch that so much. Wisconsin's should be even thinner. Maybe dropping the black shadow on the W contributes too (but I totally support that).

Other than that, I think the board has two philosophies: 1. Wisconsin must overhaul because Nebraska was first and 2. There are some tweaks that could be done but ultimately we'll live with the similarities.

Going with #2: I favor one stripe on Nebraska's pants to match the helmet. One team should probably change to an even less-blocky font, but I love block and I don't want UW going to some loopy font. I'd consider superfluous double-outlining (white-on-red-on-white like the hockey team did until a few years ago). But if they ever consider that, they'd probably go to black outlining, which I do not want.

Bingo.

And Wisconsin's shade of red is a less saturated of red. It's closer to a true cardinal shade like what Stanford wears and leans ever-so-slightly towards a pink/magenta undertone, especially in certain lighting. Nebraska's red is a much brighter red and closer to a "truer" red, if that makes any sense.

The red used on UW's helmet stickers/decals is also NOTICEABLY much darker. Compare the Motion W to the facemask. With Nebraska, the N, stripe and mask are all the same red (lighting in the photo below makes the stripe look darker, but it's not).

28952591-mjs_northern_iowa_wisconsin_fooAmeer+Abdullah+Michigan+v+Nebraska+3q2FX

Also, you can probably get away with more use of black on Wisconsin. They already have the red helmets with black stripes and the Motion W has the black drop shadow. Traditionalists will tell you that black does not belong in Nebraska's uniform, other than perhaps as an alternate once a year.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I've always been interested in the fact that the SEC has four teams wearing uniforms that are dark red helmets and jerseys over white pants.  So similar, but each with it's own character.  How do you keep them unique without over-worrying about "looking to much like the other guy"?

alab_zpsqftenb66.png?t=1513307047

ark_zpsnxik5rxi.png?t=1513307048

missst_zpsrbcuqgtk.png?t=1513307048

texam_zpstfg8073l.png?t=1513307048

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Danny the Sheeb said:

Just one question:  Why black masks for Mississippi State?  There's no black elsewhere on either uniform.

I'm not sure, to be honest. I was just trying to differentiate all the different dark red over white teams... I guess I was going for a Minnesota Gophers thing. 

Gopher_Helmet_2012.jpg

I made that a while back now... I'd probably do something different now.

• Like 1