Oldschoolviking's college football concepts - Golden Gophers added

oldschoolvikings

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I think that Husky logo is very underrated for Washington, so I like that you found a way to use it. Overall, I appreciate the simplicity of a lot of these concepts. Sometimes simplicity actually makes these brands very identifiable. That striping style just works for well for Arizona, for example. And as soon as you see it, you know who it is, rather than a bunch of gradients and weird shoulder stripes.

I also applaud you for including all the possible uniform combinations as well. It helps to visualize how these will look.

• Like 1

I think it's safe to say Maryland's attempt to be the "Oregon of the East" has been a failure, both on the field and aesthetically. The whole idea of wearing the state flag as a uniform has more than run it's course IMO. 

Also, I'm aware the they are a Under Armor school... I just don't care.

spacer.png

• Like 2

I was watching Eastern Michigan on TV a few nights ago... good Lord, what an aesthetic nightmare.  Just abysmal.  The gray, the fake metal accessories.  Somehow manages to be gaudy, ugly, and dull, all at once.  And don't even start me on the little-league gray turf.  Beyond stupid. I went to EMU back in the early 90's, got my Master's there, and was there when they changed from Hurons to Eagles.  You can debate the reasons for the change in nicknames (I wouldn't), but Eagles was a particularly uninspired choice. Back then, their uniforms were pretty standard, white/green/white, in the days before alternate everything.  They never looked especially good, but never outlandishly ugly, either.

Anyway, I thought I'd see what I could come up with. My first step is (always) google image to see if I can find something cool from the 60's or 70's.  No luck. Apparently nobody owned a camera in Ypsilanti before the 1980's. One thing that did pop to mind is that when I first arrived on campus, maybe late 1989, I bought a t-shirt at the school store that was navy blue with "EASTERN MICHIGAN" written across it in green letters trim in white. At the time, I thought it was possible that they occasionally used navy as a trim color athletically, but, no... it was just a t-shirt, as it turns out. However, that didn't stop me from basing an entire rebrand on that one-off, 30 year old t-shirt.

Here you go...

spacer.png

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...