Why did Baseball teams use Powder Blue Road uniforms in the 70s & 80s?

TheFallenHaveRisen

Atlanta was late on the bandwagon (1980) but I thought their powder blues looked rather nice, especially with the moderately darker blue with white trim for the lettering and numbers.

7194h_lg.jpeg

That iteration only lasted one year; odd that there is no red except on the cap (their home uniform then had red in it)- they changed the 'A' to an upper-case one and altered the cap design the next year.

UBwef0L.png

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always wondered what made them decide to abandon the Gray and go with Powder Blue, especially in cases like the Phillies where they didn't even have Blue in their colors at the time

Well the Phillies WERE nicknamed the Blue Jays for a short period of time...

Kind of. They never took "Phillies" off their jerseys, even when they adopted the second nickname. They tried to have it both ways:

phillies-blue-jays.jpg

Powder blue roads would have looked good on them.

It was more of adopting a second mascot and testing the waters for a name change than anything. I don't think any official team documents ever had "blue jays" on them, though it's likely that they would have changed had it been more popular. Todd Radom did a great write up of the whole ordeal a few years ago - I have a link somewhere.

Anyway, looks like someone didn't know how to use apostrophes back in the day - that's horrible!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Atlanta was late on the bandwagon (1980) but I thought their powder blues looked rather nice, especially with the moderately darker blue with white trim for the lettering and numbers.

7194h_lg.jpeg

That iteration only lasted one year; odd that there is no red except on the cap (their home uniform then had red in it)- they changed the 'A' to an upper-case one and altered the cap design the next year.

Never noticed that before - the hat doesn't match the jerseys whatsoever. It's like the current 49ers' helmet vs. rest of uniform.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Pretty sure there's a Lukas article where he investigated this.

I think it originally had something to do with the fabric used for gray in the 70s was giving off a blue tint and eventually teams just morphed it into full on powder blue for some reason. Color TV might have been involved.

Here's a better question: why do we even have specific home and away uniforms? Why not just have two to five uniforms in rotation, and the teams decide on what to wear before each game so they aren't the same color?

History. Teams used white at home and gray on the road since gray would hide dirt better (teams may or may not have been able to wash uniforms well while on the road).

"It's how it's done" is the answer. Yes, that's in quotes because it isn't a great answer, but for a certain baseball demographic, it's a great answer.

It's where I sit.

Serious color question... I'm wondering how they settled on calling it Powder Blue. In most other aspects of life that blue would be called light blue, sky blue, or baby blue... so how did baseball settle on the term Powder Blue?

Are we sure that's something more than a colloquial use of the term?

Serious color question... I'm wondering how they settled on calling it Powder Blue. In most other aspects of life that blue would be called light blue, sky blue, or baby blue... so how did baseball settle on the term Powder Blue?

Are we sure that's something more than a colloquial use of the term?

Yeah, I think that's something that the uni-verse came up with rather than an official designation. Back in "the day", I always heard the Phillies referred to as "baby blue" or "light blue", never powder blue.

Were there different shades of blue? In photos, the Phillies always seemed a little darker than say the Royals or Cardinals - but obviously there could just be an illusion caused by a ton of factors.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived