Favorite block fonts

Quillz

Do they have to be traditional? If not, I'm kinda partial to the Golden Gophers font and Wake Forest's new font.

To me, block font is block font. Whether it's considered "traditional" or not, I couldn't say.

I like "MLB Block 2" a lot because it's a bit thicker than other block fonts and thus tends to look aesthetically pleasing on jerseys and other applications. I don't care for thinner block fonts unless they are used in a NNOB fashion, because otherwise, they just look too narrow.

Just realized the Stars and Astros have nearly identical block fonts.

The Stars simply use the old-time Dallas Cowboys font/number set.

No, they don't. Compare the 5s and 9s, for example. The serifs are different . . .among other differences.

91jcqBIOmPL._SL1500_.jpgharvey_martin_1978_01_15.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I like the block font used by the Orioles.

I'll second that. It is very simple but sharp.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Aren't the Orioles using the standard MLB block that many other teams use? They look identical, although there might be some small differences here and there. On that subject, I mentioned in another topic I really like the thicker variant of the standard MLB block the Royals are using.

I know it's big right now to take a standard block font and tweak it into something slightly custom. Sometimes its a disaster (current Cleveland Browns) but sometimes it can be kind of nice. I like these two...

Dallas Stars;

Numbers-+DAL+(2013).png

Houston Astros;

Houston2013Numbers.png

Damn you beat me to both of those

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Aren't the Orioles using the standard MLB block that many other teams use? They look identical, although there might be some small differences here and there. On that subject, I mentioned in another topic I really like the thicker variant of the standard MLB block the Royals are using.

Yeah, it's a standard one.. I'm just most familiar with my O's using it.. It's superior to the other standard MLB block font used by several other teams IMO

Do they have to be traditional? If not, I'm kinda partial to the Golden Gophers font and Wake Forest's new font.

To me, block font is block font. Whether it's considered "traditional" or not, I couldn't say.

I like "MLB Block 2" a lot because it's a bit thicker than other block fonts and thus tends to look aesthetically pleasing on jerseys and other applications. I don't care for thinner block fonts unless they are used in a NNOB fashion, because otherwise, they just look too narrow.

To me that font id waaaay to thick for a baseball uniform. Both the yankees should ditch the football block and go back to a more vintage styled font.

To me that font id waaaay to thick for a baseball uniform. Both the yankees should ditch the football block and go back to a more vintage styled font.

I feel the opposite, actually. I find the more common MLB Block variant used by most teams to be too thin, but a lot of it has to do with proportions. As I mentioned in another thread, a teams that do NNOB don't make the block numbers any larger, so it just doesn't look right, aesthetically. That's where the slightly thicker MLB Block 2 works well, I think. It has a good thickness that makes up for the NNOB.

As far as "vintage" block fonts, go, I think baseball typically has three: the standard MLB Block (Dodgers, Orioles, Royals, Cardinals, etc.), MLB Block 2 (Yankees, Padres, Braves, etc.) and the style that is used by the Red Sox (which at one point several other teams, like the Angels, used to use).

Archived