LOGOLYMPIAD - EVENT 3 VOTING

pollux

And the entries keep getting better and better! I received 29 entries for this event, but I have to disqualify 5 of them.

The requirements for this event were:

Los Angeles wants an NFL team badly, and is ready to do anything to get one. Prospective owners want to show the league their identity package, and have asked you to provide a wordmark for their team. For this event, you need to create a wordmark for a football team based in Los Angeles, CA. You can choose any team name you want. The only thing they are restricting is the color palette for your wordmark.

• You must pick one of the color palettes provided above. You can use as many colors as you like within the color palette you selected, all the way up to the five colors in the palette.
  • The wordmark must include the name of the city, in this case Los Angeles.
  • You must submit the wordmark on two separate backgrounds: one white background and one colored background using a color from the color palette; do NOT submit logos or uniforms.
  • Do not write any justification for the city or colors.

List your 3 favorites, ranked 1, 2, 3.

The vote closes on Thursday, October 29th, 11:59AM Eastern Time (three days from now).

Entries

Entry 1

Entry 2

Entry 3

Entry 4

Entry 5

Entry 6

Entry 7

Entry 8

Entry 9

Entry 10

Entry 11

Entry 12

Entry 13

Entry 14

Entry 15

Entry 16

Entry 17

Entry 18

Entry 19

Entry 20

Entry 21

Entry 22

Entry 23

Entry 24

Disqualified Entries

Alexo's entry was submitted on a 850 x 600 template.

llfhockey' entry has no team name, which was required.

hettinger_rl's entry and THOL3N's entry both are missing the wordmark on a colored background, which was also a requirement.

McElroy19's entry has given me a really hard time, but has to be disqualified. While the artwork is very good, the football in the sun constitutes a logo and isnt tied into the wordmark, but rather placed on top of it. Since I specifically mentioned that there shouldn't be any logos or uniforms in the criteria, I have to disqualify it.

Reminder

The voting will be open to public voting once the event is officially over. Once the finalists have been posted in the event thread, voting will be open for 3 days.

Judging is open to all board members registered BEFORE October 1st. This is to ensure no one is voting for themselves under an alternate login.

Members may vote once per event and may not vote for their own entry (I'll know if you did, and will not count your vote). You may not disclose the identity of any of the designers of the entries until voting closes.

Voting will be via the 3-2-1 points method. Voters will be asked to post their choice for a gold, silver and bronze winner. Gold votes are worth 3 points, Silver worth 2, Bronze worth 1.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - MontrΓ©al Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! I had a really difficult time choosing between entires 7 and 9 for the gold medal. Truth be told, if it were permissible, I'd have awarded each of them a gold. The wing-themed containment shape of the Condors wordmark and the detailing in the Conquistadors font were both phenomenally well-rendered. In the end, the boldness of the wing shape grabbed my eye - and gut - just that much more.

In any event, here are the LOGOLYMPIAD Event 3 entries that I feel clearly stand out.

GOLD - 7

SILVER - 9

BRONZE - 18

A lot of good wordmarks here, but I don't see many of them fitting in the NFL. The Philadelphia Eagles are the only ones to use a logo-y wordmark, which I think the best entries in this competition did, so they'd all be outliers and probably better suited to fall experimental leagues. That said, I decided to just vote on wordmarks based on overall craftsmanship rather than whether they'd fit in the NFL. I had a clear top 3 in that regard, though the order was a toss-up.

My top 3:

1. Entry 17 (most believable color scheme for a new team, given the 3 palettes to choose from, as the rest look like other CA teams; this would be an improvement for the Omaha Mammoths)
  2. Entry 7 (props for the sheer uniqueness of name and color scheme, even if the wings for bird mascot teams are played out by now)
  3. Entry 2 (awesome in a vacuum, but the color scheme and markings end up too reminiscent of San Diego State's identity)

Honorable mentions for XFL teams:

• Entry 21
  • Entry 5
"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Archived