infrared 41's Best and Worst - NFL Week 7

infrared41

Hard to believe we're almost to the halfway point of the season already. Week 7 gave us two truly great match ups, some pretty good match ups, and some downright awful match ups - including one that should put to rest the idea that I'm all about the "throw 'em backs." So place your bids and let's play our game. Do your best to ignore the pink, and as always, your mileage may vary.

Best:

1. Steelers - Chiefs: Two of the best looks in football matched up on a beautiful, sunny day made this one the easy choice for the top spot. Every game should look this good.

Chiefs.jpg

2. Saints - Colts: Kudos to the Saints for going with their best look to match up against one of the top 5 home looks in the NFL. If Lucas Oil Stadium had more consistent sunlight, this one would have competed for the #1 slot. Still a great looking game. Best helmet match up of the week.

Colts%202.jpg

3. Vikings - Lions: A perfect example of why "modern" doesn't have to mean ugly. There are a couple things I don't like about the Lions uniforms, but it's still a very solid look. The Vikings are what carried this game to the #3 spot. I didn't care at all for the new Vikings look when it debuted, but over time it has become one of my favorites. Minnesota (along with Buffalo) should be on page one in the "How to Update a Uniform" handbook.

Lions%201.jpg

4. Cowboys - Giants: Again, I'm done apologizing for liking the Cowboys uniforms. The Giants are one of my favorite home looks. Throw them together and it's a great match up of traditional uniforms - and it has the added benefit of driving certain people nuts. #2 helmet match up of the week.

Cowboys%201.jpg

5. Eagles - Panthers: I'd like this game a lot more if the Eagles had gone with all white. It was a night game with the home team wearing black jerseys. Throw in a dark helmet and dark pants, and things get a little drab looking. The Eagles could have livened it up with an all white uniform. Still a very solid match up.

Eagles%2061.jpg

Worst:

1. Tampa Bay - Washington: What happens when one of the ugliest throwbacks in the NFL faces off against the ugliest modern uniform in the NFL? This game is what happens. Being a fan of traditional looks, I really tried to like Washington's throwbacks. It didn't work. In the end, I couldn't get past the fact that Washington looked like they were wearing a mis-mash of three different uniforms with an unfinished helmet. Tampa Bay's clown suits just added to the absurdity. There are some aspects of the Washington look that are OK. The colors aren't bad, and I like the outlines on the numbers. Other than that, this game was a complete disaster.

Wash%201.jpg

2. Falcons - Titans: Well, at least the Titans looked good for a couple games this season. Now it looks like they've decided that ugly-ass monochrome blue is the way to go. The Falcons uniforms were ugly when they debuted and now they're ugly and outdated. The sooner Atlanta goes to their mothballed alt/throwback full time, the better off we'll be.

Falcons%202.jpg

3. Ravens - Cardinals: Baltimore could have kept this game off the worst list by wearing all white. The Cardinals have the makings of a good look but with all the goofy stripes, piping, and weird panels, it ends up being just another outdated clown suit. What a waste of a great helmet.

Cards%201.jpg

That's it for this week. Thanks for dropping by. We'll do it all again next week.

I was also surprised to not see this matchup make the list:

102515oakvssd_mn_255.jpg?itok=VvyQw6ko

You probably sholdn't have been that surprised. I don't think I've ever seen Infrared say anything nice about the Chargers' current uniform.

The Falcons uniforms were ugly when they debuted and now they're ugly and outdated. The sooner Atlanta goes to their mothballed alt/throwback full time, the better off we'll be.

Well said.

I was also surprised to not see this matchup make the list:

102515oakvssd_mn_255.jpg?itok=VvyQw6ko

You probably shouldn't have been that surprised. I don't think I've ever seen Infrared say anything nice about the Chargers' current uniform.

I want to say the current Chargers look made the best list once last year - but that was only because I thought the colors looked good. I like the Chargers colors well enough, but the design is just awful. Any, and I mean any, of their prior uniforms would be a huge upgrade over the current over-designed mess the Chargers currently wear.

EDIT: I decided to take a look. Not only did the Chargers make the best list, but they made it in a game against Seattle.

Steelers-Chiefs and Raiders-Chargers were the top 2 for me.

Cowboys-Giants loses points for the the Cowboys mismatching and Giants in gray paints.

The Vikings number font has grown on me a little, but I still hate the Lions'.

Can't put the Saints-Colts up there as long as the Saints are wearing the toilet seat/neck roll collars.

Agree with your worst list.

What specifically don't you like about the Chargers design?

The shoulder stripes look stupid and the powder blue in the helmet logo is forced. I'm not crazy about the number font either, but I can live with it.

Does anyone really think this...

philip_rivers_throwing-7964.jpg

looks better than this?

dan-fouts_original_display_image.jpg

What's with the Titans mono-blue hate? I happen to think they pull the mono-blue off well.

Because monochromes look awful in general, and theirs with a white helmet looks like the equipment manager forgot to order the correct team-color helmets, so he had to stick their decals on plain white helmets he picked up at the sporting good store.

What's with the Titans mono-blue hate? I happen to think they pull the mono-blue off well.

I'd actually prefer the mono columbia and I know I'm in the huge minority that actually likes that look. So I'd even settle for this...

Titans-2-590x464.jpg

Chargers uniforms are the worst theyve ever been, but "overdesigned" isnt really a word I would use to describe them. Maybe its just that Im desensitized to modern football uniforms but they seem tame

Well, over designed is a term that I'd use and here's why. In my opinion, things like the weird sleeve stripe placement, the forced powder blue, the font, the reversed bolts, etc. are all things that were not necessary. It's like whoever designed the uniform tried too hard to make it look different. When compared to Tampa Bay or Jacksonville, yes, the Chargers current look is tame, but a tame look can still be over designed. To me, over designed simply means the uniform looks like it's trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. The Chargers current look is nothing but square pegs trying to fit into round holes.

Hope that clears it up.

Archived