dsaline97's 2015 Logolympiad Submissions

dsaline97

Thought I'd post my Logolympiad entries in one thread to receive some C&C. I'll start with the alternate logo from event 1. Here were the requirements:

You must create an alternate logo for an active team from the National Basketball Association. The logo should be strong enough so that it could replace the current primary logo for the team.

• Use colors that are already part of the teams current color scheme. You can check colors on the Colorwerx website or on the TeamColors website. Do NOT add any more colors.
  • Include the current primary logo in your submission as a reference. The primary logo should not take more than 150px by 150px on the template, as it is not the focus of the work here.

I thought making a cowboy boot for the Spurs seemed like a great idea and would fit in with the rest of the identity. The goal was to have a logo rendered well enough that the existing spur didn't feel tacked on. If I had more time, I'd probably exaggerate some of the features and make some of the lines thicker, especially the leg details and the black outlines in general. Let me know what you think!

Entry_35.png

spacer.png

This was my bronze vote. I loved how quirky it was, which seems in line with the Spurs' visual history, like when they used the Mexican restaurant colors in their primary identity. I think the existing parts of their current identity--the SA initials and the spur--are incorporated really well into your design.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

I think the design is fantastic. I didn't vote for it because it was so oddly shaped for a logo. The amount of white space to the top left (above the toe) was overpowering. Maybe use a diamond shaped background for balance, a whip/cowboy hat to use up white space, or a western style letter "S" above the toe.

qtOnrJr.png

I think the design is fantastic. I didn't vote for it because it was so oddly shaped for a logo. The amount of white space to the top left (above the toe) was overpowering. Maybe use a diamond shaped background for balance, a whip/cowboy hat to use up white space, or a western style letter "S" above the toe.

Agreed needs something in the background mabye just a circle. When i see this i tried to image it in the middle court. also agreeing with this comment ^ its so oddly shaped there would be alot of court in the area that the logo is not.

I guess I liked it so much because I didn't imagine it in any way replacing the primary, but rather being a true alt that could have a range of different applications (on promotional material, etc.). I know the competition was a little ambiguous as to how much of an "alternate" these alternate logos were supposed to be, so that was my interpretation.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

This is really good, and I am pretty sure I voted for it! Good work.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

Put your points and ranking

Fair enough, that'd be a good idea. I finished T-9th in the first round and wound up with 7 points. I thought I would've finished a couple spots higher, though I suppose my execution wasn't as good as I would have liked.

spacer.png

This was my bronze vote. I loved how quirky it was, which seems in line with the Spurs' visual history, like when they used the Mexican restaurant colors in their primary identity. I think the existing parts of their current identity--the SA initials and the spur--are incorporated really well into your design.

I guess I liked it so much because I didn't imagine it in any way replacing the primary, but rather being a true alt that could have a range of different applications (on promotional material, etc.). I know the competition was a little ambiguous as to how much of an "alternate" these alternate logos were supposed to be, so that was my interpretation.

I thought about filling that circle with a basketball with the SA on top of it, but this logo probably would be used on small applications, so it'd be hard to make out the details. Yeah, I knew my design couldn't really replace the primary logo, but many of the top entries couldn't either (Conrad's Portland rose comes to mind).

Agreed needs something in the background mabye just a circle. When i see this i tried to image it in the middle court. also agreeing with this comment ^ its so oddly shaped there would be alot of court in the area that the logo is not.

In my head, I pictured the design leaning to the left more, so that the leg fills the white space a lot better. The reference images I went off of had a cowboy hat on top of the boot, but I thought having any more western imagery would detract too much from the spur, so that's why I stayed away from that. I didn't see this logo being used at center court, but rather outside the three point lines.

spacer.png

The boot itself was well-rendered. But the spur kind of got lost against it. Plus the curves both of the boot itself and the inlaid design just didn't really jive to me with the rest of the Spurs' identity, which I have always associated with angular lines. I think it would have been one of my "honorable mentions" if I usually did that sort of thing.

I think it is well executed, except maybe make the spur a bit bigger. The problem is that, because of the shape and the logo's inflexibility for adaptation, it makes for a fantastic tertiary logo, but the contest was to create an alternate logo that could have the potential to eventually replace the real-life primary logo.

rATMcmK.png

I might not get to updates for a while, but I may as well put up my time warp concept from Event 2. Here's the requirements:

Once again, were going back in time! For this event, you have to create a vintage look for NHL teams that have joined the league after 1990 as if they had joined the league as part of the biggest NHL expansion of 1967.

The teams you can work with are: San Jose Sharks (1991), Ottawa Senators (1992), Tampa Bay Lightning (1992), Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (1993), Florida Panthers (1993), Nashville Predators (1998), Atlanta Thrashers (1999), Minnesota Wild (2000), and Columbus Blue Jackets (2000).

• The city and the team name must remain the same.
  • You can keep the same colors or go a completely different way.
  • You need to provide one colored uniform set (not white), consisting of a jersey and socks. Do NOT provide any equipment.
  • You also need to provide a new primary logo with the uniform.
  • Your primary logo should look like a logo designed in 1967.

I finished T-7 with a total of 19 points from the voting, which is way more than I expected. I tried to base the uniform off of a Union soldier, since that's where the name Blue Jackets comes from, but I was a little worried that wouldn't be clear. In hindsight and from seeing some other entries, it would have been good to have "Columbus Blue Jackets" wrapped around the oval in the primary, but not the jersey, just to identify the logo. Let me know your thoughts. This was actually the first hockey design I've ever done, so it was fun to experiment and learn the "rules" of the sport's design.

Entry_28.png

spacer.png

When analyzing this for the competition, I felt it was too similar to the jersey that the Buffalo Sabres had in the early 70's. I know that yours would've technically been out first, but:
hxmfk0hmll66ouz5u6gmjb7vx.gif

Secondly, the lack of detail on the logo. I feel it would've been better served with more detail to separate the wheel from the cannon.

Thirdly, I felt your jersey needed a little more "pop" on it. The very small amount of white on the Sabres jersey is very noticible, so I think the inclusion of one more color could've elevated your design.

Here's event 3, the NFL wordmark. The requirements:

Los Angeles wants an NFL team badly, and is ready to do anything to get one. Prospective owners want to show the league their identity package, and have asked you to provide a wordmark for their team. For this event, you need to create a wordmark for a football team based in Los Angeles, CA. You can choose any team name you want. The only thing they are restricting is the color palette for your wordmark.

• You must pick one of the color palettes provided above. You can use as many colors as you like within the color palette you selected, all the way up to the five colors in the palette.
  • The wordmark must include the name of the city, in this case Los Angeles.
  • You must submit the wordmark on two separate backgrounds: one white background and one colored background using a color from the color palette; do NOT submit logos or uniforms.
  • Do not write any justification for the city or colors.

The name was based on the La Brea Tar Pits, hence the suggestion of tar on the ends of the tusks. I thought about removing them, because to me, they look like the ends of bananas. I (somehow) won bronze with this logo, and I really appreciate all those who voted for this one! I probably would make some changes to the font, because right now it's unaltered Impact. Let me know your thoughts!

Entry_17.png

spacer.png

The Blue Jackets jersey didn't get my vote because, aside from the numbers, it looked more 1950s than 1960s to me. I think I was looking for a white accent color to modernize it a bit more.

I voted for the Mammoths. The point was made by some that it looked a little too minor-league, not NFL. My take was that it was just on the right side of the line. But it didn't get my gold vote in part because of the way the tusks come off the M and S, a bit of tension at the junctures.

rATMcmK.png

On the Spurs logo, it looked nice, but as others have said, it was a bit too detailed and didn't match up too well with the rest of the team's brand.

Whittier makes a good point. The number font seemed a bit too mosern, but then again, a block font would've looked too dated. White really would've helped though.

I didn't vote for the Mammoths because the font didn't seem too unique. I do like the tusks and the play on the La Brea Tar Pits, but it wasn't executed well enough. What I mean is that the tar didn't really come across as tar and more as shading or aging of the tusks.

I will say don't beat yourself up over not winning as much as you'd like. A lot of people have improved over the course of the past year - including you - but the competition as a,whole has been suffocatingly stiff that it's just a toss up between every ranking.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Archived