Nike NFL "Color Rush" uniforms?

dcameronh

It's not as if the NFL hasn't had color-vs-color matchups on Thursdays before, either. And some of those looked very good. This Thursday night, extra-Nike all-color promotion could have looked good. As presently constructed, it does not.

51669623.jpg

Navy v. Burgundy. Can't believe that ever happened.

This looked pretty good, but it was because both uniforms looked pretty good on their own.

The Bills and Jets looked terrible together and would've also looked terrible separately.

Let's not forget the NHL All-star game in LA. dark maroon vs dark royal. That game was a headache to watch.

Oh and thanks for reminding me of the Chad Hutchinson experience. :mellow: <_<

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not as if the NFL hasn't had color-vs-color matchups on Thursdays before, either. And some of those looked very good. This Thursday night, extra-Nike all-color promotion could have looked good. As presently constructed, it does not.

51669623.jpg

Navy v. Burgundy. Can't believe that ever happened.

This looked pretty good, but it was because both uniforms looked pretty good on their own.

The Bills and Jets looked terrible together and would've also looked terrible separately.

Can't be overstated.

The monochrome looks were terrible on their own. They were especially terrible together because there wasn't enough value contrast.

There's a way that matchup could have worked - the Packers in their green home jerseys versus the Chiefs in their red jerseys and white pants. There's value contrast between the jerseys, and both the pants and helmets are distinct. Two good looks on their own that would work together.

"Color on color" was not the problem.

There wasn't supposed to be any "value contrast". Hence the name of the promotion and why it was done in the first place. It was supposed be about COLOR. Not contrast.

The Jets looked better then they usually look anyway. Loved the color of the green and the details they did to the helmet. Again for ONE GAME a year on a crappy Thursday night, this wasn't nearly as heinous as some of you tried to make it out to be.

Just like any other uniform matchup, some are going to look good and some not so good. Some teams look awful every week with their regular duds (hello Washington and Cincy). The Bills would have looked better with white pants and the red jersey. But that wasn't the promotion for this Thursday game.

I have no issue with this whatsoever. Most of the uniforms will be using the same template and a team color in place of the regular jersey. The helmets will still stay the same (for the most part). For one game a year, going one color from head to toe will be just fine. If they did it for a month or a season, it wouldn't be.

And the best part of it for me is that new pant options could now be on the table for several teams to be worn with regular jerseys. That's kinda exciting.

Does anybody know if teams will be allowed to wear pieces of their color rush uniforms with their usual uniforms in the future? For example if Tennessee wore the Columbia blue socks with their usual white on navy road combo.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

With the exception of the color rush series, the league limit the amount of jerseys and pants a team can have (not sure about socks).

For example Carolina usually has three sets of pants (silver, white and black). Color rush introduced blue pants to their equation. I'm just not sure if the Panther would be allowed to wear their blue pants outside of the color rush game. Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing them go White/Blue/Black at some point this season. Or even Blue/blue/black.

Does anybody know if teams will be allowed to wear pieces of their color rush uniforms with their usual uniforms in the future? For example if Tennessee wore the Columbia blue socks with their usual white on navy road combo.

Don't think there's any reason they couldn't.

The lack of white from mid-calf down is a reason. I believe that's still a uniform rule in a regular game match up.

Silver is Caroline's best option for road pants, followed by blue, black, anything besides white, then white.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think you'll see plenty of mix-and-match once the new elements get into the rotation. The only uniform regulation the NFL will stick to is its one-helmet rule, because that allows it to pretend it's doing something about brain injuries, even if the reasoning is specious.

If the Jets start mixing and matching their kelly and drab greens, I'm sharpening my pitchfork.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Oldschoolvikings, earlier in this thread I mentioned that "color rush" may bring about the end of the mid-calf white socks in the NFL's uniforms. Not saying it would immediately happen this season, or even next season. I just have that feeling it will happen in the near future. I personally want that to happen.... as well as the NFL allowing team colored chinstraps one day *fingers crossed*

I like the white to mid-calf look... probably just what I'm used to, but the all-color socks look kinda cheap to me.

It looks cheap because it is cheap. It's what middle school and high school teams do if they want to wear colored socks.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Out of curiosity, aside from a team like the Titans just wearing their alternate, are/will these be sold in the elite version or just the replica versions? As a collector, I try to buy the authentic. I know in the nhl, they will sell authentic versions of winter classics, but only replica versions of stadium series jerseys. I've seen the 3 of the 4 available that are new, there are no elite versions for sale.

KISSwall09.jpg

Archived