dcameronh

Nike NFL "Color Rush" uniforms?

So, apparently the NFL created another public relations headache for itself with this Bills-Jets game: It's completely unwatchable for individuals with red-green color blindness.

http://deadspin.com/stupid-nike-uniforms-wreaking-havoc-on-colorblind-nfl-f-1742272136

This will blow over quickly, but it's uncanny how the NFL steps into unnecessary messes.

They'll turn this into another awareness month.

Yes it would. Whoever chose Tennessee- Jacksonville is playing some sort of joke or just has the worst taste in the world.

My CBS station comes out of Memphis, so I almost always get stuck with the Titans on TV. So having them shoved off onto Thursday night against the similarly uninteresting Jaguars is great for me. Except the uniforms. Those suck. I've always hated the all light blue look for Tennessee and nothing really needs to be said about Jacksonville's uniforms since they're always a disaster.

Deadspin posted a simulated video of what the game looked like to colorblind people and it was unbeliveably difficult to follow, especially with both team wearing white helmets.

Is being red-green color blind common? Can those people not drive because of traffic light colors?

tl,dw; there's a reason why red and green are always in the same place on every street light.

And as for common, somewhere around 6% of men.

Is being red-green color blind common? Can those people not drive because of traffic light colors?

My dad has it, and he just looks for the position of the light. Stop on top, slow in the middle, go on the bottom. I always thought it'd be a little harder for him at night in the event he couldn't see the light fixture itself to tell the position of the light, but he's never seemed to have any problem. He's actually a very good driver.

Whistleblowing because this might be the final crook of sports fans who live the simplicity of the current NFL right now.

Color Rush is a test on multiple facets. It is intended to test if fans are open to one off uniforms, if fans are open to brighter colors, and how fans respond to the aesthetic of teams essentially wearing onesies.

Everything has come back better than could have ever been anticipated. You wouldn't even believe me if I told you how many gold Jaguars jerseys have sold.

We're on the brink of a new looking NFL. Much like the last one, we can once again blame Denver. The way their fans embraced orange almost unilaterally lead to testing brighter colors as primary unification for several teams in focus groups and the response was overwhelmingly positive.

Very soon you are going to see a team that wears a bright primary uniform, a dark secondary, and delegates white to alternate.

The NFL will be much brighter. But expect more one offs. Expect more color on color to creep into Sundays, the post season, and even the Super Bowl.

Five years from now we'll all look back at 2015 color rush and comment how tame it was. Unless something causes the final three games to be less than a hit.

Has Nike not seen all the criticism?

I wonder how USC and UCLA have managed to pull off "color v color" all these years without the angst and cries from the critics.

My question is when does Jacksonville wear the new gold britches with the black jersey at home? I'd guess since they are officially part of the NFL uniform set, that those pants (and all color rush pants) could be worn again with a primary jersey. Hope they do it.

I think that new gold the Jags are wearing looks really good. Wish they could figure out how to wear the teal alternate jersey for a game but they have hit a home run with this new addition. And since Jax has gotten ripped ad nauseum over their current set (even though I think its actually pretty solid and looking better by the year), I think they deserve some praise when they do something right.

I wonder how USC and UCLA have managed to pull off "color v color" all these years without the angst and cries from the critics.

C'mon, that's a poor comparison. UCLA and USC have the best color-on-color matchup in football.

This is an incredible looking game,

482-usc-vs-ucla-football-los-angeles-cal

whereas, this

111215-jb-20-jpg.jpg

is terrible. Had they not gone all monochrome on us, this wouldn't have been that bad. But... they didn't, so it looks like garbage.

Found it!!

NFL75.jpg

From that 75th anniversary book... the "future of football".

I've been searching everywhere for something similar. There was an SI for Kids spread of (I think ) Adrian Peterson in a 'futuristic' uniform. It was a bit more robotic looking than this. Does anyone else remember this?

You have not been paying attention if you think people's problem is just it being "color v color". It's the weird monochrome designs that people are talking about.

It's not as if the NFL hasn't had color-vs-color matchups on Thursdays before, either. And some of those looked very good. This Thursday night, extra-Nike all-color promotion could have looked good. As presently constructed, it does not.

It's not as if the NFL hasn't had color-vs-color matchups on Thursdays before, either. And some of those looked very good. This Thursday night, extra-Nike all-color promotion could have looked good. As presently constructed, it does not.

51669623.jpg

Navy v. Burgundy. Can't believe that ever happened.

This looked pretty good, but it was because both uniforms looked pretty good on their own.

The Bills and Jets looked terrible together and would've also looked terrible separately.