Nike NFL "Color Rush" uniforms?

dcameronh

The most annoying thing about the Rans uniforms are how skinny the horns on the helmets have become over the last 10 years.

Faulk_feature_420_310.jpg

gurley-out.jpg

That was Spagnuolo's doing. They sacked the long-time equipment manager and the new guy(s) have not been as good.

What does the equip mgr have to do with it? Don't they get supplied the decals? Or are the horns still painted on?

That equipment manager, and his father before him were the equipment managers of the Rams since the 60's. For nearly 5 decades, there were literally 2 guys applying every single helmet horn to every helmet. And I'm sure they were in charge of ordering/procuring said horn from whatever manufacturer they were using.

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, but it seems like the new manager would have to actively change the design for that to be the case. I find it hard to believe that the new guy would go in and start redoing vector files to send to the decal company. Maybe the company messed up the decals and the new guy just didn't have the attention to detail to see that the newer horns were narrower.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I wouldn't put it past the equipment manager - for the last couple decades the Rams have had a problem with parts of the helmet overlapping the horn decals, requiring that the decals be cut around the various straps and snaps.

58956b_lg.jpeg

I presume this has only gotten worse as the various helmet manufacturers create designs with vents and grooves designed to make their helmets instantly identifiable. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the horns were thinned out to take up less of the contested real estate.

Photoshop of what I think would be a top 5 look:

r9K5yqf.png

Need to reverse the pants stripes so navy is in the middle.

Disagree. That would violate two of my rules/guidelines:

1. White and yellow/gold generally should not abut one another.

2. Braishser stripes almost always work better when the darker color is on the outside. (e.g., Dolphins looked better with A/O/A then O/A/O. Browns looked better with B/O/B than O/B/O, even though the latter was their traditional look).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

That's it. The Nike template doesn't do metallics.

The team also mentioned that the league was interested in cutting down the number of pants in the first years of the Nike contract - the Rams eliminated the gold option in favor of blue as the primary and white as an alternate.

I blame the NY Giants for this crap. They came out with the ultra-matte, faded-t-shirt looking jerseys in 2000 (originally with Nike, of course). It took a few years, but Reebok started giving it to other teams, too. And then came Nike telling them that metallics were inherently bad and made players slower.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Photoshop of what I think would be a top 5 look:

r9K5yqf.png

Need to reverse the pants stripes so navy is in the middle.

Disagree. That would violate two of my rules/guidelines:

1. White and yellow/gold generally should not abut one another.

2. Braishser stripes almost always work better when the darker color is on the outside. (e.g., Dolphins looked better with A/O/A then O/A/O. Browns looked better with B/O/B than O/B/O, even though the latter was their traditional look).

I hear you about yellow touching white, but I think it looks better when the jersey color is the outer stripe rather than the middle.

Also it'd match how navy is surrounded by yellow on the horns and numbers.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I wouldn't put it past the equipment manager - for the last couple decades the Rams have had a problem with parts of the helmet overlapping the horn decals, requiring that the decals be cut around the various straps and snaps.

58956b_lg.jpeg

I presume this has only gotten worse as the various helmet manufacturers create designs with vents and grooves designed to make their helmets instantly identifiable. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the horns were thinned out to take up less of the contested real estate.

So even if the original equipment managers were there they'd still change?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

We don't know that.

If the reason the horns were shrunk was to better fit new helmet types they'd have to adjust eventually. I'm sure they didn't just decide one day to shrink the horns. With the tech used in college designs though, There's no reason they can't have the horns look like they did before the last uniform.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Nike can't make metallic pants? That's really lame.

It would fix alot of issues around the NFL if they could use metallic. The Titans light blue pants would be better, the Cowboys would look better, the Ravens gold pants wouldn't look like trash, etc.

Nike can make metallic pants. The Cowboys, Panthers and Raiders still use them, and the Bucs used metallic pants the first two years of Nike. However, Nike can't produce their current "advanced" space-aged pants in metallic, so those pants use the old materials. Or more accurately, they're pushing this new type and look of fabric because they believe this look is the most timely. Five years from now, they might have all teams in a more super-advanced fabric which shimmers like a disco ball, but for the time being they've constructed their corporate football visuals around matte. So they could probably make metallic pants in the new material if they really tried, but they don't want to.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived