Nike NFL "Color Rush" uniforms?

dcameronh

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nike can't make metallic pants? That's really lame.

It would fix alot of issues around the NFL if they could use metallic. The Titans light blue pants would be better, the Cowboys would look better, the Ravens gold pants wouldn't look like trash, etc.

Nike can make metallic pants. The Cowboys, Panthers and Raiders still use them, and the Bucs used metallic pants the first two years of Nike. However, Nike can't produce their current "advanced" space-aged pants in metallic, so those pants use the old materials. Or more accurately, they're pushing this new type and look of fabric because they believe this look is the most timely. Five years from now, they might have all teams in a more super-advanced fabric which shimmers like a disco ball, but for the time being they've constructed their corporate football visuals around matte. So they could probably make metallic pants in the new material if they really tried, but they don't want to.

The real issue is that nike loves using proprietary design and technology for the sake of their brand. The nike-made metallic pants are simply the generic dazzle spandex/nylon that any uniform supplier can source so they are essentially slapping a swoosh onto a pair of ripon pants. That type of fabric has been around since at least the early 90's in football possibly even earlier. For whatever reason when the big 3 got into moisture wicking/textile development for uniforms, the polyester/nylon blend all comes out as a matte fabric. Like others, I tend to think that we'll see metallic/shiny fabrics when nike decides it's fashionable again and they can market the hell out of putting teams back in silver and gold pants.

Moisture wicking doesn't have to be matte.

Nike just wants it to be.

Exactly.. Moisture wicking technology comes in the form of a chemical that is applied to the fabric..

Also, in reference to the Rams' horns having to be cut to fit around snaps and various other helmet elements, another solution is to remove said elements, apply the decals, then put the elements back onto the helmet.. It's not an overly daunting process

I live in one of the nation's main sportswear hubs and have not seen any of the big labels making shiny training gear which I think would be a decent proxy for uniform trends as there tends to be quite a bit of crossover today. Do you know of any of the big players that have got back on the shiny fabric trend? The only one that I can think of is american apparel but their stuff is totally retro. Ucla's pants this year seemed a bit shinier but nothing like 10 years ago.

I live in one of the nation's main sportswear hubs and have not seen any of the big labels making shiny training gear which I think would be a decent proxy for uniform trends as there tends to be quite a bit of crossover today. Do you know of any of the big players that have got back on the shiny fabric trend? The only one that I can think of is american apparel but their stuff is totally retro. Ucla's pants this year seemed a bit shinier but nothing like 10 years ago.

Under Armour is generally shiny, or at least it was five years ago. The companies are making matte sportswear because that's what they feel is popular now. It might take a little research to make the newest fabrics shiny, but they could absolutely do so if they wanted to.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

dsc_0176.jpg

Archived