Nike NFL "Color Rush" uniforms?

dcameronh

Fans overwhelmingly like to see teams in throwback uniforms, except for the awful ones like the 1960 Denver Broncos version, 2 different versions that the Steelers have worn over the years, the one GB came out with this season

Wrong. Oh, so wrong.

You're confusing your own personal preferences with those of a majority of fans. Remove that, and your whole conspiracy theory falls apart.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what I think. The NFL is getting alot of flak over this one-helmet rule which is a total farce. Fans overwhelmingly like to see teams in throwback uniforms, except for the awful ones like the 1960 Denver Broncos version, 2 different versions that the Steelers have worn over the years, the one GB came out with this season, the NYJ throwbacks from their Titans of NY years of '60-'62 when they played at the Polo Grounds, etc etc

They've totally ruined the Redskins 80th anniversary look with the now-banned simulated leather helmets.

People want to see both teams wear a throwback uniform in the same game, not just the home team do it. In MLB when teams wear throwbacks the opponent wears one too. My all-time favorite was the Chicago White Sox 1906 throwbacks they wore in 2006.

I really believe the NFL has been getting alot of flak over this one-helmet rule so is doing this TNF con-job to differ the heat they're getting over this. Making teams wear monochrome along with color vs color on TNF is a total farce. Especially teams that have to invert their primary color combo's for it to work and not clash. The NFL is basically saying that if a player wears a different helmet over the course of the season is a safety issue, hence .. it can lead to lifelong brain and psychological damage, so any player who is traded before the trading deadline is going to have to get a new helmet, so now if that player gets a concussion and in later years in the aftermath of their career the NFL has built it up so they will get sued and lose, like they always seem to do in a court of law. It's just plain stupid. It just seems they're putting on a facade like they really care about player safety.

This Thursday night gimmick is a total farce IMO.

Wow. I'm not even sure what to say about this. I'm not trying to be mean, but not only do I not think the NFL is "getting a lot of flak" over the one-helmet rule, I'd go as far to say that at least 95% of even hard core NFL fans are completely unaware of the rule. I think if you went up to an average NFL fan and asked them their opinion of the one-helmet rule, they'd tell you they had no idea what you were talking about and probably try to engage you a discussion of who they should start on their fantasy team.

If you could create an internet search for on-line discussions of the NFL one-helmet rule, the vast majority of hits would come back as links to this site. We are weird... nobody else cares.

The NFL isn't doing this to distract from a policy that few know about, and even less care about. They're doing this to drum up some interest in their lowest rated games, and sell jerseys.

Well, the Cowboys in all-white topped with a silver dome should look bad, but at least the blues and silvers might match.

Didn't exactly work out so well in 1994, especially since it was a throwback made completely inaccurate by the helmet.

1994-Monday-Night.jpg

I loved the double star jerseys and the Jets in kelly green I have high hopes for this

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

i agree with oldschoolvikings and I know what its like to be the average fan. Before I discovered this website I didnt know what the hell striping consistency was or any of the terms we all know and love. we are a small group of people that care this much about this stuff and Im happy to be apart of it. oh and awhile im rambling its my obligation to say :censored: THE METS

I'm not convinced the rules require monochrome, as many have claimed.. I could certainly be wrong, but it would've cleared that up had they said "one single team color", but it just says "one of the team's current or historic colors", which could mean each piece will be in one of the colors (possibly to eliminate the prevalence of white in current uniforms).. I may be way off, but I'm hoping it was an oversight to phrase it that way.

I'm not convinced the rules require monochrome, as many have claimed.. I could certainly be wrong, but it would've cleared that up had they said "one single team color", but it just says "one of the team's current or historic colors", which could mean each piece will be in one of the colors (possibly to eliminate the prevalence of white in current uniforms).. I may be way off, but I'm hoping it was an oversight to phrase it that way.

It's going to be monochrome. Jersey to cleats in one of the team's colors. Some teams will use a historic color (Jets, Rams), other teams will use current color.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

If Al Davis was still alive I would love to see how he would have reacted when being told by the NFL that his beloved RAIDAH's alter their uniforms to anything other than silver numbers and nobs on the white jerseys and/or wear the 1963 logo, and he'd never ever consider wearing monochrome black or silver. All the NFL is doing is trying to dip into more people's wallets by selling more jerseys. I guess that $20m they just milked out of YAHOO! was only a continuation of their endless greed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

phutmasterflex: "I think a reason why the Cowboys are wearing white is because their opponent, the Panthers, are wearing blue. Blue vs. blue isn't going to be good even though the shades are different".

I believe your reason to be incorrect.

When Manchester City plays Chelsea there has never been a problem with the 2 shades of blue clashing, and Dallas' blue jerseys are darker than Chelsea's

chelsea_2811150b.jpg

This is common in soccer but not in the NFL. For something so relatively new, the NFL probably knows they can't risk two teams in blue regardless of the shade. If color vs. color was something the league has done for years, then maybe. But for such a new phenomenon to the NFL audience, I just don't think they want to go that route just yet.

Plus it's a safety issue. You're going to have guys tackling the wrong guys because they saw a guy in a blue uniform and silver helmet. The speed is so quick in the NFL that the league doesn't want to risk anyone getting hurt or having people play poorly because in the quick split second, they mistook the wrong guy wearing a blue jersey and silver helmet. That's why contrasting uniforms in the NFL is so important.

I believe my reason to be correct. If anything, it's mainly a safety issue for fast-pace contact sport.

It shouldn't matter whether it's soccer-football or NFL-football, either the kits/uniforms clash with one another or they don't.

If Dallas or Seattle (both in their dark blues) played the Chargers (in powder blues) they wouldn't clash.

Add the monochrome look like Seattle has with both the pants and socks in those dark blue colors and you've got some horrible looking uniforms going up against one another.

Plus it's a safety issue. You're going to have guys tackling the wrong guys because they saw a guy in a blue uniform and silver helmet. The speed is so quick in the NFL that the league doesn't want to risk anyone getting hurt or having people play poorly because in the quick split second, they mistook the wrong guy wearing a blue jersey and silver helmet. That's why contrasting uniforms in the NFL is so important.

I believe my reason to be correct. If anything, it's mainly a safety issue for fast-pace contact sport.

No.

If there was any validity to that, then there'd be an issue with the Dolphins in white helmets and jerseys playing the Jets in white helmets and sleeves.

That doesn't make sense. The Jets jerseys are majority green, which is clearly different than a majority white jersey.

Go A's!

The safety issue thing doesn't make much sense either though.. The speed of the game may seem blindingly fast to your average couch potato, but the NFL players can discern things just fine.. A navy blue/Carolina blue matchup would have plenty of contrast for the players' safety. (Not to mention, the Cowboys technically wear "Texas Blue" helmets, not silver)

No.

If there was any validity to that, then there'd be an issue with the Dolphins in white helmets and jerseys playing the Jets in white helmets and sleeves.

That doesn't make sense. The Jets jerseys are majority green, which is clearly different than a majority white jersey.

Oh, piffle.

We can have one team wearing white helmets, pants and jersey against another team wearing white helmets and pants and a jersey that is significantly white. On the field, at full speed, that's a whole lotta white and it's never remotely been a "safety issue".

You're barking up the wrong tree.

Here's what I think. The NFL is getting alot of flak over this one-helmet rule which is a total farce. Fans overwhelmingly like to see teams in throwback uniforms, except for the awful ones like the 1960 Denver Broncos version, 2 different versions that the Steelers have worn over the years, the one GB came out with this season, the NYJ throwbacks from their Titans of NY years of '60-'62 when they played at the Polo Grounds, etc etc

They've totally ruined the Redskins 80th anniversary look with the now-banned simulated leather helmets.

People want to see both teams wear a throwback uniform in the same game, not just the home team do it. In MLB when teams wear throwbacks the opponent wears one too. My all-time favorite was the Chicago White Sox 1906 throwbacks they wore in 2006.

I really believe the NFL has been getting alot of flak over this one-helmet rule so is doing this TNF con-job to differ the heat they're getting over this. Making teams wear monochrome along with color vs color on TNF is a total farce. Especially teams that have to invert their primary color combo's for it to work and not clash. The NFL is basically saying that if a player wears a different helmet over the course of the season is a safety issue, hence .. it can lead to lifelong brain and psychological damage, so any player who is traded before the trading deadline is going to have to get a new helmet, so now if that player gets a concussion and in later years in the aftermath of their career the NFL has built it up so they will get sued and lose, like they always seem to do in a court of law. It's just plain stupid. It just seems they're putting on a facade like they really care about player safety.

This Thursday night gimmick is a total farce IMO.

Wow. I'm not even sure what to say about this. I'm not trying to be mean, but not only do I not think the NFL is "getting a lot of flak" over the one-helmet rule, I'd go as far to say that at least 95% of even hard core NFL fans are completely unaware of the rule. I think if you went up to an average NFL fan and asked them their opinion of the one-helmet rule, they'd tell you they had no idea what you were talking about and probably try to engage you a discussion of who they should start on their fantasy team.

If you could create an internet search for on-line discussions of the NFL one-helmet rule, the vast majority of hits would come back as links to this site. We are weird... nobody else cares.

The NFL isn't doing this to distract from a policy that few know about, and even less care about. They're doing this to drum up some interest in their lowest rated games, and sell jerseys.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/10/30/9592574/jaguars-will-wear-gold-jerseys-on-thursday-night-football-vs-titans

Not mention, I don't think your average fan even understands the one helmet rule when told about it. Check out some of the comments in the link above:

I would add though, I believe the official release mentioned the Jets making slight alterations to their helmets for this.

Is there an exception?

I thought the packers went all yellow or something with their throwbacks

Green Bay and Washington have used different helmets with their Throwback Uni's

But I think the reason it’s ok with that is those were the actual helmet designs from whatever period they are throwing back to.

Here are the Green Bay throwbacks from this year, theres a different helmet

People think that changing the stickers/facemasks makes it a different helmet.

PaleVermilion81, on 29 Oct 2015 - 23:45, said:

As a Jaguars fan, this is the only response I have.

tumblr_mjgfege9EK1ra44sfo1_r1_400.gif

I'm really really really hoping that I'm wrong and pleasantly surprised. Hopefully they have black sleeves like the teal alts. If they are blue sleeves, I may literally vomit.

134484062337011.jpg

You were supposed to bring balance to the NFL not destroy it! I'm looking at you Jaguars Gold

Rams in yellow jerseys is a wonderful thing to see. Hope they bring that back in LA. Monochrome yellow though? Ugh.

Also, really loving the kelly green with forest green trim for the Jets. That would look great on them full time IMO.

yea i'm also going to err on the side of "not every team will be in monochrome". we know the Titans and Panthers will be in matching jerseys/pants color but the way i am reading "a single color from jersey to cleats" is that you can change/add stripe colors to support a new jersey. with the Bills red, they could just wear the white pants they have now and still be "the red team". im aware evidence so far is not too supportive of that (Buccs and Jets going to almost a solid color jersey) but it's hard to see 32 teams coming out in a similar way. i'm still hoping a team like the Packers, might add green (or yellow) undershirts, gloves, cleats, sweat bands, etc, but not match a jersey to their pants color.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

No.

Oh, piffle.

We can have one team wearing white helmets, pants and jersey against another team wearing white helmets and pants and a jersey that is significantly white. On the field, at full speed, that's a whole lotta white and it's never remotely been a "safety issue".

You're barking up the wrong tree.

I'll bark up this tree then. Bark bark bark.

I just don't believe the league wants two teams wearing blue uniforms to face each other for the reasons I have already mentioned. I didn't say this was the only reason why Cowboys are in white, but I believe it is part of the equation. That's why your hypothetical of two teams (one in all white, one with "significantly" white jersey) would never happen.

Go A's!

Archived