Nike NFL "Color Rush" uniforms?

dcameronh

Plus it's a safety issue. You're going to have guys tackling the wrong guys because they saw a guy in a blue uniform and silver helmet. The speed is so quick in the NFL that the league doesn't want to risk anyone getting hurt or having people play poorly because in the quick split second, they mistook the wrong guy wearing a blue jersey and silver helmet. That's why contrasting uniforms in the NFL is so important.

I believe my reason to be correct. If anything, it's mainly a safety issue for fast-pace contact sport.

No.

If there was any validity to that, then there'd be an issue with the Dolphins in white helmets and jerseys playing the Jets in white helmets and sleeves.

That doesn't make sense. The Jets jerseys are majority green, which is clearly different than a majority white jersey.

Oh, piffle.

We can have one team wearing white helmets, pants and jersey against another team wearing white helmets and pants and a jersey that is significantly white. On the field, at full speed, that's a whole lotta white and it's never remotely been a "safety issue".

You're barking up the wrong tree.

I'll bark up this tree then. Bark bark bark.

I just don't believe the league wants two teams wearing blue uniforms to face each other for the reasons I have already mentioned. I didn't say this was the only reason why Cowboys are in white, but I believe it is part of the equation. That's why your hypothetical of two teams (one in all white, one with "significantly" white jersey) would never happen.

I believe this is what he means;

GettyImages-455401170.0.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, pretty much.

If that's not a safety issue with players tackling the wrong team, then sky blue and navy isn't a safety issue either.

Don't get me wrong - I think visual confusion is very much on the league's mind. But viewer confusion. And I don't think anyone's ever considered the "safety issue" for a moment.

yea i'm also going to err on the side of "not every team will be in monochrome". we know the Titans and Panthers will be in matching jerseys/pants color but the way i am reading "a single color from jersey to cleats" is that you can change/add stripe colors to support a new jersey. with the Bills red, they could just wear the white pants they have now and still be "the red team". im aware evidence so far is not too supportive of that (Buccs and Jets going to almost a solid color jersey) but it's hard to see 32 teams coming out in a similar way. i'm still hoping a team like the Packers, might add green (or yellow) undershirts, gloves, cleats, sweat bands, etc, but not match a jersey to their pants color.

I really hope you're right. And it's worth pointing out that the only source we have is one team's website editor. So he could be mistaken as well.

Because if you're not right, and the Packers come out with anything other than a 1953 throwback, there'll be hell to pay.

Plus it's a safety issue. You're going to have guys tackling the wrong guys because they saw a guy in a blue uniform and silver helmet. The speed is so quick in the NFL that the league doesn't want to risk anyone getting hurt or having people play poorly because in the quick split second, they mistook the wrong guy wearing a blue jersey and silver helmet. That's why contrasting uniforms in the NFL is so important.

I believe my reason to be correct. If anything, it's mainly a safety issue for fast-pace contact sport.

No.

If there was any validity to that, then there'd be an issue with the Dolphins in white helmets and jerseys playing the Jets in white helmets and sleeves.

That doesn't make sense. The Jets jerseys are majority green, which is clearly different than a majority white jersey.

Oh, piffle.

We can have one team wearing white helmets, pants and jersey against another team wearing white helmets and pants and a jersey that is significantly white. On the field, at full speed, that's a whole lotta white and it's never remotely been a "safety issue".

You're barking up the wrong tree.

I'll bark up this tree then. Bark bark bark.

I just don't believe the league wants two teams wearing blue uniforms to face each other for the reasons I have already mentioned. I didn't say this was the only reason why Cowboys are in white, but I believe it is part of the equation. That's why your hypothetical of two teams (one in all white, one with "significantly" white jersey) would never happen.

I believe this is what he means;

GettyImages-455401170.0.jpg

The Jets jersey is not "significantly" white. The base of the jersey is green, not white.

Yeah, pretty much.

If that's not a safety issue with players tackling the wrong team, then sky blue and navy isn't a safety issue either.

Don't get me wrong - I think visual confusion is very much on the league's mind. But viewer confusion. And I don't think anyone's ever considered the "safety issue" for a moment.

It's a white jersey and a green jersey -- the contrast is really clear. That Colts-Jets matchup is not on the same level of comparison as a navy-sky blue matchup.

I think that there is a chance there might be mistakes made on the field because of a blue vs blue matchup. It could even be a QB under duress throwing to the wrong player or someone making a wrong tackle. I'm just saying that I believe that must have been brought up when they were deciding what to do with two teams wearing blue in this matchup.

Go A's!

If you think that Jets uniform isn't predominantly white, and do indeed play against entirely white uniforms without any of the incidents you fear, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

You originally said jersey that was "significantly" white, not uniform that's "predominantly" white.

I know that Jets uni is predominantly white. But I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about what you said about the jersey being "significantly" white, which is completely different. And the jersey is green, not white. That's the contrast I've been talking about.

Go A's!

What do we know about the Titans? The sneak peeks look like their regular blue jersey and pants, unless I'm missing something.

2015_ColorRush_Titans2.png

2015_ColorRush_Titans1.png

2013_Titans.jpg

Could this mean something like navy numbers? Or will they just wear this combo again, perhaps with Columbia blue socks to match?

The TV number looks white rather than light blue. Feels like more of a tweak than anything

Edit: It's the swoosh, my bad.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

What do we know about the Titans? The sneak peeks look like their regular blue jersey and pants, unless I'm missing something.2015_ColorRush_Titans2.png2015_ColorRush_Titans1.png2013_Titans.jpg

Could this mean something like navy numbers? Or will they just wear this combo again, perhaps with Columbia blue socks to match?

The TV number looks white rather than light blue. Feels like more of a tweak than anything

I don't see the tv numbers in the preview. Looks like the swoosh.

The bucs look like the same uni sans the yoke and no orange.

Does this eliminate the teal jag uni even though it wasn't worn?

I feel this is the nfl version of stadium series/Christmas day uniforms. I'm not a color/color guy, but if you're going to do it, why does it have to be so garish? For a 16 game league and a bunch of teams wearing white for more than 1/2 the year, why force color?

KISSwall09.jpg

I think all the new jerseys are recolors of their current templates. Except Dallas, who seem to be bringing back their 1994 alternates with no changes.

The Bucs have recolored their yoke to match the body, and the orange spike is now black. Other than that it looks like the same jersey.

2015_ColorRush_Bucs1.png

2014_Bucs.jpg

The Panthers also look like they're keeping their basic alt:

2015_ColorRush_Panthers2.png

2014_Panthers.jpg

They're just adding pants to match. And by match I mean stripe pattern and everything:

2015_ColorRush_Panthers1.png

I think all the matchy-matchy is going to look pretty silly with silver helmets. It's one thing to have identical colors and patterns to every element and another thing entirely to have identical colors and patterns to every element except the single most identifiable piece of the uniform.

I think all the new jerseys are recolors of their current templates. Except Dallas, who seem to be bringing back their 1994 alternates with no changes.

The Bucs have recolored their yoke to match the body, and the orange spike is now black. Other than that it looks like the same jersey.

2015_ColorRush_Bucs1.png

2014_Bucs.jpg

Wonder if they'd be foolish enough to make the numbers black or pewter. Wait - they're definitely foolish enough to do that.

The Panthers also look like they're keeping their basic alt:

2015_ColorRush_Panthers2.png

2014_Panthers.jpg

They're just adding pants to match. And by match I mean stripe pattern and everything:

2015_ColorRush_Panthers1.png

I think all the matchy-matchy is going to look pretty silly with silver helmets. It's one thing to have identical colors and patterns to every element and another thing entirely to have identical colors and patterns to every element except the single most identifiable piece of the uniform.

I disagree, and think that in some cases, a mis-matched helmet can make the rest of the set more tolerable. For one, it does preserve the team's identity at least somewhat when they're wearing a foreign uniform. Also it can add some balance, as long as there's enough of that color elsewhere in the set.

In this case, it may work because they'll have a lot of silver on the pants stripes. I'm sure they'll wear black socks, but maybe gray / silver would work too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived