Aritificial Turf vs Grass

buckeye

Well, while grass is still somewhat better, the artificial turfs of today are fast catching up with almost being like the real thing; and advances in such technology are still ongoing today. This isn't like 30 years ago, when most turfs were carpet-like in texture and feel.

UBwef0L.png

I umpire HS football in the Phoenix, AZ area. I have seen examples of both fields. A well maintained grass field is what I would prefer, though with advances in technology (as said in a previous post) field turf and next turf are gradually close. Only thing is that here in Phoenix, due to our summer heat the field turf fields have a nasty tendency to hold the heat much longer an a grass field. And with two HS fields with the actual grass used in SB 42 (Moon Valley HS) and SB 49 (Tolleson HS) both are holding up well even with our oppressive heat!

As for the rubber tire bits in the field turf fields. I have heard of that, but no substantiated cases have been discovered in Phoenix yet!

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

In this years MLB playoffs i noticed the stuff that bounced up when the ball hit the turf in Toronto, is that the same black rubber that is talked about could cauce cancer ?

Yes, though there has been no solid proof that the rubber pellets cause cancer. (I actually believe everything causes cancer, but who an I to be quoted)

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

My high school has really nice grass for our football field. Our coach hates it when people go on it for no reason, and tear it up, so it's very well kept and I much prefer playing on good grass than turf. The turf causes lots of burns and gets really hot in the summer, and freezing cold in the late season. Although most big high schools in Minnesota like the turf, cause the snow kills the grass as it's under there half the year.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I prefer natural grass, but there are certainly situations where you'd need artificial turf (domed stadium, location that doesn't offer much sunlight, etc.)

In this years MLB playoffs i noticed the stuff that bounced up when the ball hit the turf in Toronto, is that the same black rubber that is talked about could cauce cancer ?

I thought it was sand? I recall reading that SkyDome added sand infill some time back.

However, seems they are converting to natural grass by 2018. If that's the case, then that will leave only Tropicana Field as the only artificial turf stadium in baseball.

I prefer natural grass, but there are certainly situations where you'd need artificial turf (domed stadium, location that doesn't offer much sunlight, etc.)

I thought it was sand? I recall reading that SkyDome added sand infill some time back.

They switched to a more rubber-based one this year.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

To me baseball grass is ideal and football field turf is better

When asked what he preferred Grass or Astroturf

Tug McGraw said I never smoked Astroturf.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived