Aritificial Turf vs Grass

buckeye

Turf. Easier to keep up and no hidden holes where I can tear my ACL. (Happened to my dad and almost to me a few times) I could give a damn about the cancer. Still gonna eat processed meat and play on turf.

You "almost" tore your ACL a few times? Do tell.

It's where I sit.

More often than not, ACL tears are the result of a knee that's already got some amount of damage to it. The playing surface where the ACL actually tears doesn't matter at that point...all it takes is a tweak or a wrong turn. The ligament is weakened.

Now, with the other knee ligaments (MCL, PCL), that's where the playing surface does matter. But also, the shoes being worn plays a part. Naturally, grass and dirt have the ability to give way when a player makes a hard turn/cut. The old AstroTurf had no give whatsoever, and today's FieldTurf technology is getting better about allowing some give.

I don't know enough about ACLs to comment on that specific case. But the overall incidence of injuries, including ACL tears, continues to be significantly higher on turf than grass.

A systemic review in July 2015 published in the American Journal of Sports Medicine saw that there seemed to be an increase for football (over all "genetations" of turf) but not for soccer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25164575

Plus, lower leg injuries are often shoe related as much as surface related.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26036677

In this years MLB playoffs i noticed the stuff that bounced up when the ball hit the turf in Toronto, is that the same black rubber that is talked about could cauce cancer ?

Yes, though there has been no solid proof that the rubber pellets cause cancer. (I actually believe everything causes cancer, but who an I to be quoted)

Okay then, thanks for the info, i thought it was water spraying up.

If you want to talk fewer injuries on natural grass, I encourage you google some of the heartwarming things NFL players have to say about playing on the Soldier Field surface. It's the bombed out Wendy's parking lot of NFL fields.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

In the case of high usage multisport fields turf is definitely the way to go. In my home state the high school fall sports season is pure hell on natural grass field. The combination of football, soccer, field hockey (Varsity, JV, even freshman teams at some schools) and marching bands turn grass fields into dirt bowls by the third week of school. I remember my school's field sucked to play on by the time October came around.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Archived