Help me fix my beloved Clippers...

uuh70

CCSLC Community,

I have been a die hard LA Clippers fan since I was 5 years old in 1999. I have undergone numerous losing seasons before we turned the page in 2011 when they acquired CP3. The one thing I had during all those lean years was we had some aesthetically pleasing uniforms. The cursive script and baseball jersey number placement was unique among the standard block font and centered number placement. We all noted that their sleeve uniform was the only one in the league that looked good.

New ownership, with the many great things they have done have dropped the ball on the rebrand. Zucker wanted to rerbrand ASAP and needed the Miami Heat design team to make it happen. The infusion of black mixed with the hideous looking logo and script leaves us looking like a park league rec squad who needed a cheap alternative.

Inspired by the bring back the buzz campagin, I am here asking you all for help in reaching out to the Clippers and fixing this issue ASAP. It's sad to know they might win a championship in these ugly pieces of...

What do you think the fan base should do to get through to Ballmer that these new logos are unacceptable. The great Jerry Seinfeld once said that as fans we root for laundry.... and well these need to be thrown away

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think that there really was a lot of love for the previous Clippers set - I think a lot of that came out once they switched. I recall over the years that the Clippers were consistently mentioned in any topic regarding who needs a redesign.

I think they could have taken the baseball-style concept and made it work, but the way they executed it was horrible. The script was seriously flawed, the "C" was filled in (for most of the time) making it look like a big patch rather than a script, the number looked awkward with the outline, and in the later years, the collar was bad and the modern trim (which really just looked like it was ordered from a stock template) clashed with the "classic" script.

Let's not even talk about the logo.

Was it better than what they have now? Sure. Was it a classic? Not by any definition. They needed a change... just not the one they got.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Fortunately, a wealthy nutjob willing to spend a lot of money. Unlike the previous nutjob.

Except the current wealthy nutjob willing to spend a lot of money ok'd one of the cheapest re-brands we've seen out of a team in the Big Four in some time.

Fortunately, a wealthy nutjob willing to spend a lot of money. Unlike the previous nutjob.

Except the current wealthy nutjob willing to spend a lot of money ok'd one of the cheapest re-brands we've seen out of a team in the Big Four in some time.

Perhaps. But my point still stands. At least Ballmer has demonstrated he's willing to spend money to bring some legitimacy to the Clippers, instead of Sterling who ran the team cheaply and never showed any real interest in making them competitive.

They shouldve kept what they had from last year. Like I said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. While the uniforms aren't that bad. It would've been one thing if they kept their unis from last year but add thus year's home as an alternate would've been one thing.

I'm convinced the problem is Balmer. The Microsoft brand under him and Gates, for the most part, had an unrefined, business bland, old man "this is what the kid's will think is cool" look. Great, rich, owner but he lacks good design sense and refuses to let others craft it for him.

The new look is absolutely terrible, we're in full agreement there. Still, I'm not sure how anybody can praise what they previously wore either. This team has never had a good logo and their uniforms have been mediocre at best. It's a shame because their namesake allows for some creative and attractive opportunities. I've seen some fantastic concepts on these boards that blow anything the team has worn clear out of the water. A full rebrand is definitely in order.

If the 5 year logo policy is still imposed, they're stuck with the Price is Right logo until 2020-2021 at earliest.

But they can release a kick-ass alternate jersey with a brand new "alternate" logo on it, put it on some merch and sell some new merch too. They should be able to do that in a year or two. Would that be a good solution to the problem they have with their awful logos??

Perhaps. But my point still stands.

Yes and no. Ballmer is willing to spend to make the Clippers competitive. No question. This isn't a thread about their on-court product. It's about their brand. Their aesthetic identity. And Ballmer screwed up on that. Big time.

Archived