Help me fix my beloved Clippers...

uuh70

How about a nautical theme, with nautical colors. Deep Sea Blue, brown or Navy Trim, sunset yellow. Put a real Clipper in the logo and on the alternates. Red, white and Blue is so overused, Just ask the Atlanta Hawks, and the Anaheim (remember those) Angels. Maybe a ship's wheel or nautical compass in the logo.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fortunately, a wealthy nutjob willing to spend a lot of money. Unlike the previous nutjob.

Except the current wealthy nutjob willing to spend a lot of money ok'd one of the cheapest re-brands we've seen out of a team in the Big Four in some time.

Perhaps. But my point still stands.

Yes and no. Ballmer is willing to spend to make the Clippers competitive. No question. This isn't a thread about their on-court product. It's about their brand. Their aesthetic identity. And Ballmer screwed up on that. Big time.

In fairness, a lot of the blame goes to Gillian Zucker, the President of Business Operations, for completely bungling the rebranding process:

http://www.clipsnation.com/2015/9/12/9299611/panic-over-patience-a-logo-story

I'm aware of that.

Still, Ballmer owns the team. He could have vetoed it.

I think Ballmer was more concerned with moving away from the Sterling-era design beyond anything else. If nothing else, at least the new Clippers identity is something. It can be tweaked, revised and improved, and I think it will be. The NBA may not allow for primary logo changes for at least five years (or was it just a $500,000 fee?), but they seem to be alright with uniform alterations and changes to secondary logos.

I think Ballmer was more concerned with moving away from the Sterling-era design beyond anything else. If nothing else, at least the new Clippers identity is something. It can be tweaked, revised and improved, and I think it will be. The NBA may not allow for primary logo changes for at least five years (or was it just a $500,000 fee?), but they seem to be alright with uniform alterations and changes to secondary logos.

I'd rather they have stuck with the Sterling-era design for a season or two more to properly develop a superior alternative. Instead they rushed things and put out a re-brand that's aesthetically garbage and cheap.

As for it being tweaked? I disagree. It misses the mark by so much no amount of tweaking can salvage it. The best bet for the Clippers is to spend the next five seasons working on something truly awesome so they can jettison the current look as soon as possible.

I'd rather they have stuck with the Sterling-era design for a season or two more to properly develop a superior alternative. Instead they rushed things and put out a re-brand that's aesthetically garbage and cheap.

As for it being tweaked? I disagree. It misses the mark by so much no amount of tweaking can salvage it. The best bet for the Clippers is to spend the next five seasons working on something truly awesome so they can jettison the current look as soon as possible.

There was a concept just a few posts back that showed how the logos could be drastically improved. Keeping the same general look but playing with some of the colors and their placement. Things could be moved around, wordmarks could be tweaked, etc.

Archived