Reviving the old NFL

ZionEagle

So I decided to do a little project for fun reviving some old NFL logos. This probably has been done before, but I wanted to take a crack at it.

The first one I redid was the old Lions logo.

HkRE84e.png

It probably could use some work but I'm satisfied with the motion.

The next is the Houston Oilers.

vWFk6zA.png

I didn't think it needed too much of a facelift. It really was a great logo in my opinion. So I just made some minor tweaks to it.

More teams coming soon. C&C appreciated :)

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

I would play around with the Oilers one a little more. Maybe incorporate a letter, a roundel, a wordmark, something. Seems pretty bare. Lions is great. Looking forward to the Pat Patriot update.

I have to disagree on this one. I think the simplicity of it works well. Compare that to the Cowboys' Star or the Saints' Fleur de Lis. Simple can work well.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Wow. Never expected to get so much positive feedback :P

Anyways, I'll get on to replying to all of you.

Nice work so far. Lions logo looks good

Thanks. I appreciate it

Interesting, not sure if I like the Lions or not... its an upgrade, but it needs something.

Oilers logo reminds me of walking through sears as a child in the 70's and seeing 1 Oilers Football set, among 100 Cowboys sets. See I was a Uni geek even at 10!

Uni geeks 4 life :D Yeah, I might take another whack at the Lions later. We'll see.

Very good so far. Looking forward to your take on the Chargers' horse shield logo.

Funny you should mention that, I was just working on that one :P

I would play around with the Oilers one a little more. Maybe incorporate a letter, a roundel, a wordmark, something. Seems pretty bare. Lions is great. Looking forward to the Pat Patriot update.

Hmmm...I might consider it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Love the deminsion on the oilers logo!

Thanks. That's what I was shooting for.

I have to disagree on this one. I think the simplicity of it works well. Compare that to the Cowboys' Star or the Saints' Fleur de Lis. Simple can work well.

Agreed.

BIGGER.BOLDER.BETTER THAN EVER.

This should be the slogan of this thread.

The Lions looks too detailed,but hey,I'll let you off of the hook.

Lol. Yeah, I'm a very detailed oriented person, so sometimes I struggle with going overboard on my logos.

I like this idea and I like your work. Nice job.

Thank you very much.

Next update coming soon: Chargers and Bears

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

Awesome stuff! Oilers logo looks a bit too modern though. Maybe it's the bevel, but it doesn't particularly fit the oilers. Not sure how I'd fix it. It looks fine now, but there's just something about it that I personally find off. Keep up the good work!

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not totally sure on the Oilers one. Like I said, it was too good to begin with.

Anyway here's an update.

2Nq5Bx6.png

I'm not the best at freehanding shields, so pardon the quality. I added a dark blue to the shield to give it contrast.

jKAeTLu.png

I tried to give it a more ferocious look, although I might have swayed too far from the original logo.

Your tips and thoughts are appreciated :)

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

I like the ideas here, but there are just a few things I think you should change:

The Bears logo would be much better with a thinner line in the middle of the face.

Something about the nose and mouth on the Chargers' horse looks a bit off to me. Also, the drop shadows on the word "Chargers" need to be more consistent.

The Chargers one looks as though the horse is smiling. Needs a bit of toughening up in my opinion.

I like the Bears one. The white teeth instantly make it look more menacing.

Nice work

Thanks :) I thought it looked like a grimace....maybe it's not angled enough? Thanks for the tip.

The Bears logo would be much better with a thinner line in the middle of the face.

Kind of like this?

JvsAU69.png

Something about the nose and mouth on the Chargers' horse looks a bit off to me. Also, the drop shadows on the word "Chargers" need to be more consistent.

Maybe it's the same issue KentuckyX has. Yeah, I was struggling a bit with the drop shadow. I'll fix it when I have some time on my hands.

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

Great work so far. My favorite is the Oilers. The Chargers horse looks too much like a cartoon, I think it needs reworked entirely. My suggestions for the Bears, maybe round the ears out more, and make the jawline (jowls?) less shaggy.

Excellent start thus far. I'd like to see how the vintage stiff arming Bengal would turn out.

Archived