Let The Hot Stove Heat Up: 2015-2016 MLB Offseason

2 hours ago, NJTank said:

Cant Cespedes play right or Conforto play right and move Granderson to Center?

Granderson is not signed beyond this year and age wise likely wont be coming back so that part can work out. As of now the Mets have a loaded out field a solid bat off the bench in the infield and tons of flexibility. A great pitching staff a decent bullpen and the ability to add pieces at the break. What more can they need. Cespedes wants to be here gave up millions to be here and is a hell of a hitter and a great glove five tool guy.

As a center fielder defensively Cespedes is about average. As a corner outfielder he's right in that second tier of guys after Hewyard, Alex Gordon and Inciarte. Most people when they look at Yeonis I think see a more modern version Manny Ramirez, but Cespedes is a far better defensive player than Manny ever was.

Conforto I thought actually looked very good out left field in the limited action I saw from him. I would consider a move over to right for him, but I don't think he has anywhere near the range to play center.

Granderson I don't think has ever really fit in out in right field. His biggest defensive asset is his range and short of first base and catcher I don't know of any other position that would showcase that less. Granderson reminds me a lot of Dale Murphy. I don't think you could tell who was who just going off a scouting report and I think his transition from center to right has mirrored Murphy's pretty well.

You also have Juan Lagares on the bench who defensively is better than all of them as well as Brandon Nimmo in the minors who will probably be up by the end of the year.

I think the Mets will start off just like they ended last year with Conforto in left, Cespedes in center and Granderson in right, but as the year progresses I would not be surprised to see Terry Collins use more and more defensive variations. The only outfielder with a position set in stone should be with Lagares out in center. Both Cespedes and Granderson could play all three outfield positions and I think Conforto could easily make the transition over to right if he had to.

I think next year we'll have a better sense of where guys are going to play going forward, because there's no way the Mets are coming into 2017 with Cespedes, Conforto, Granderson and Lagares all still on the roster. I guarantee you at least one of them will be gone by Opening Day next year, most likely Granderson.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing as we're only a few days out from Spring Training and this is probably the quietest time of the year in terms of baseball news stories, I felt now would probably be the best time to share some of the work I do outside of this board.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/the-pyramid-rating-system-jaws-on-a-career-scale/

This was an article I wrote back in August. The theory was also presented at the SABR 45 Convention in Chicago this past June.

http://sabr.org/convention/sabr45-posters

I am currently working on a follow up article on the results.

I understand this is far more detailed than any post would ever be and I would prefer any questions about this be directed to the PM's.

Archived