Let The Hot Stove Heat Up: 2015-2016 MLB Offseason

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keuchel was a pretty obvious choice for AL Cy Young.

With the NL my pick would have been Greinke, but as I mentioned earlier whoever didn't win the award would have good argument for best season ever to not win the Cy Young.

Greinke put himself on the HOF watch list and Jake Arrieta had the greatest season ever by a Cubs pitcher. I don't think there's been a better combined pitching numbers from two players in the same season in Major League history. 41-9 wirh a 1.71 ERA. 451.2 innings pitched, 65 games started, 5 complete games, 3 shutouts, 436 k's, 88 walks, 24 hr's allowed, a .855 WHIP, a 4.95 strikeout to walk ratio.

Just imagine if those guys were in the same staff. That's 65 starts of pure dominance. That's 40% of the regular season. If you play .500 ball when these pitchers don't start you're a 90+ win team. If you're even decent without those guys starting you could top 100 wins.

I put them 1-2 in MVP voting on that reasoning. I don't think there is any other season in MLB history I would do that for. Bryce Harper had a great season as well. Even though I had him at three I would take his season over half the players who won the MVP. This is not an Andre Dawson '87 vote. Same year Steve Bedrosian won the Cy Young. A reliever with a 2.83 ERA. What the hell were the voters thinking that year?

The point is while I've disagreed wirh the pick I don't find any of them outrageous. These are tough calls.

The only other obvious one I saw outside of Keuchel for AL Cy Young was Kris Bryant for NL ROY. This guy could be the second coming of Ron Santo. If he can develop just a hair bit of more patience at the plate, he could become the best hitter in baseball. At 24 going into next yeat he has plenty of time to do it.

Regardless if he's able to or not, he already looks like a player who will be an perenial All-Star for years to come.

I was thinking about the Orioles' off-season over the weekend. The O's have several holes and they don't have the resources to fill them all with top free agents or trade targets. However, I came up with 4 things I think they can do to fill all/most of their holes and not spend a ridiculous amount on them. They are listed in order of priority (e.g. 1 is highest priority, etc.).

Step 1: Sign/trade for an outfielder, preferably one that can hit

This could include guys like Jay Bruce, Carlos Gonzalez, Ryan Braun, or even Ben Zobrist if the opportunity presents itself. LF in particular is a massive hole going in to the season, and the O's also need offense. This would kill two birds with one stone. Even Zobrist, who is known more for defense, could hit at or near the top of our lineup.

Step 2: Sign a cheap, top-3 starter

The starters everyone wants to talk about on the market (e.g. Price, Grienke, Cueto, etc.) are all waaaaay out of our price range. But, with the departure of Wei-Yin Chen looming, we still need a starter. To me, there is no pitcher who better fits this bill than Yovani Gallardo. In a market flush with aces, Gallardo might be able to come on the cheap, and he would pair nicely with Chris Tillman at the top of the rotation. other targets could include guys like J.A. Happ or Mike Leake.

Step 3: Re-sign Gerardo Parra

RF was another major hole for the O's last season before the acquisition of Parra. Even though his defense wasn't spectacular, his offensive production at the top of the lineup made up for it. In my opinion, he is the most important player for the O's to resign this offseason, save maybe Darren O'Day (no pun intended)

Step 4: Re-sign Steve Pearce

Insurance for Chris Walker at 1B, and provides offense and defensive flexibility.

spacer.png

I am not totally convinced that Sano is going to always be bad defensively. And I hope that's what the team is thinking with this move; that Sano can be a legit 3B. Now I am reading that they are considering the outfield for Sano. I hope not; assuming Buxton pans out, a Rosario-Buxton-Hicks OF is really good, defensively (and offensively, it looks like).

Regarding Mauer, I think this shows that the Twins are, with three years left on that terrible contract, acknowledging that he just cannot be a central part of the team anymore. So I like this move for that alone.

This is like 2 weeks late, but the Twins traded Hicks, a trade that, to me, shows Terry Ryan hasn't actually learned anything. Dealing Hicks isn't the worst thing in the world, but for some random backup catcher? Yes, they need a solid backup catcher. But was this really the best they could do? I think Hicks has a lot of potential and could have developed into a solid piece of the outfield. Maybe not an All-Star, but a Denard Span or Jacque Jones type of guy, one who plays a role. I thought this season's success would have shown Ryan not to keep trading away young talent, but I guess not.

I am not totally convinced that Sano is going to always be bad defensively. And I hope that's what the team is thinking with this move; that Sano can be a legit 3B. Now I am reading that they are considering the outfield for Sano. I hope not; assuming Buxton pans out, a Rosario-Buxton-Hicks OF is really good, defensively (and offensively, it looks like).

Regarding Mauer, I think this shows that the Twins are, with three years left on that terrible contract, acknowledging that he just cannot be a central part of the team anymore. So I like this move for that alone.

This is like 2 weeks late, but the Twins traded Hicks, a trade that, to me, shows Terry Ryan hasn't actually learned anything. Dealing Hicks isn't the worst thing in the world, but for some random backup catcher? Yes, they need a solid backup catcher. But was this really the best they could do? I think Hicks has a lot of potential and could have developed into a solid piece of the outfield. Maybe not an All-Star, but a Denard Span or Jacque Jones type of guy, one who plays a role. I thought this season's success would have shown Ryan not to keep trading away young talent, but I guess not.

I think the catcher (who's name I cannot recall) may be a nice piece. Hicks has been frustrating. Every time it seems like he's getting it, he hits another slump. Ultimately, I don't know that it means Ryan "hasn't learned anything" (and he did a good job on those 2000s teams...) but I do wonder whether he could have done better; either given up less for the catcher or gotten a bit more for Hicks.

I don't know this, but I would not be surprised if NY is not the place for Hicks. He's streaky and he could end up being someone Yankee fans / media don't like. I don't know if he could flourish with that going on.

But their great defensive outfield took a hit and they have a solid backup catcher who will probably start half-time since the starting catcher is terrible.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

Β 

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I think the catcher (who's name I cannot recall) may be a nice piece. Hicks has been frustrating. Every time it seems like he's getting it, he hits another slump. Ultimately, I don't know that it means Ryan "hasn't learned anything" (and he did a good job on those 2000s teams...) but I do wonder whether he could have done better; either given up less for the catcher or gotten a bit more for Hicks.

I don't know this, but I would not be surprised if NY is not the place for Hicks. He's streaky and he could end up being someone Yankee fans / media don't like. I don't know if he could flourish with that going on.

But their great defensive outfield took a hit and they have a solid backup catcher who will probably start half-time since the starting catcher is terrible.

Dealing for the catcher, John Ryan Murphy, may also have been a move made for the pitching staff. Kurt Suzuki is widely considered one of the worst pitch-framers in the league, an attribute some in baseball value pretty highly. Plus, he's considered a mid- to high-potential catcher who's stuck behind McCann with prospect Gary Sanchez on his heels. He's looking for an opportunity to shine in a position of need for the Twins.

Hicks played great the last few months of the season. But the Twins have a glut of outfield talent, including some with power (Adam Brett Walker, Max Kepler), not to mention the fact that Sano might end up playing some outfield, too. it would've been nice to get more for Hicks, certainly, but I wouldn't write off Murphy.

Jays rumoured to be a favourite to sign David Price.

So naturally it won't happen now. With Donaldson, Tulo, Martin, in their primes... Bautista, Encarnacion still dangerous... I can't see why he'd chase money.

Have you ever turned down a raise, whether it's another company wanting your services or your current employer giving you a bump in pay?

Jays rumoured to be a favourite to sign David Price.

So naturally it won't happen now. With Donaldson, Tulo, Martin, in their primes... Bautista, Encarnacion still dangerous... I can't see why he'd chase money.

Have you ever turned down a raise, whether it's another company wanting your services or your current employer giving you a bump in pay?

I do belive we have seen players turn down bigger offers in favor of a shot at a championship. Or is my memory shot ?

It's not a matter of whether players have ever taken less money, it's about the idea of taking more money being inconceivable, which of course it isn't.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

If you're a pitcher, you're a fool to turn down the highest offer. It's guaranteed money, and in case you haven't heard, there's an epidemic of elbow and shoulder injuries altering the careers of pitchers. Get what you can while you're still able to throw the ball.

Do you really think were happy with just one year of playoffs? This is Toronto, dude.

Toronto suggests that people are happy with zero years of playoffs.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

Do you really think were happy with just one year of playoffs? This is Toronto, dude.

Toronto suggests that people are happy with zero years of playoffs.

You see, this is why i stopped watching hockey. I hate seeing losing unless you're a team that deserves the losses. When you're in limbo..... ugh.

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

Archived