Let The Hot Stove Heat Up: 2015-2016 MLB Offseason

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Price to Boston is that much of a shock.

For all the talk about Price liking it in Toronto and potentially staying there, I don't think the Blue Jays ever really had a shot at him. Their offer probably wasn't within $50 million of what Boston gave him on top of the increased taxes. It was seen as a rent a player deal from day one and it was. Best you can is that the Jays at least got an ALCS title run out of it. Most don't even get a Wild Card from those types of deals.

I could be vastly wrong on this, yet I swore I heard on one of the sportsdesk shows that the Jays hadn't (yet) even tabled an offer.

I guess the Jays might've felt that they neither wanted to sign the 31yr old to a stupid long term deal nor insult his camp with a lowballed short term one either. Better left unsaid yes?

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

From what I saw of Schwarber, I really think they should trade him. For one, I don't know if his value is going to get any higher. We'll see how he adjusts when the league adjusts to him in year two. But most importantly, the guy's a DH. They have Rizzo, so he's not getting moved to first. Maybe he can hit well enough for them to tolerate him belly-flopping in LF, but as we saw in the playoffs, the baseball has an uncanny way of finding the guy who shouldn't be on the field at the biggest moments.

I guess their problem is that the DH position has changed. Outside of David Ortiz finishing out his chemically enhanced career, most teams have either rotating DHs or else someone they aren't paying that much. Even if Schwarber shows he can be a monster hitter over several years, I don't think any AL team would give up a huge haul just because nobody is investing at the DH position current.

See: Santana, Danny.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

How do the Red Sox and Yankees manage to pull all of this money out of their asses

Baseball teams all make a ton of money and are owned by super rich people or corporations, the players share of revenue is actually the lowest in the big four right now

The first part of that is simply not true. I assume they all make money, but the disparity is HUGE between certain teams. There are some teams that simply cannot, no matter how much they want to, compete for top free agents (unless the owner is a billionaire and pays out of his own pocket.)

NY, BOS, and several other teams own their own TV networks, so not only do they make money from huge big-market radio deals, but they also get a portion of every cable subscriber's bill, and TONS of ad revenue since they're so widely distributed. Also add in how much more in-stadium advertising and corporate partnerships are worth in say Boston vs Tampa or Pittsburgh, and it's easy to see why you don't see most smaller-market teasm competing for the big names.

Of course, KC has shown us that you don't need to do that in order to build a winner, but that's super hard to do.

FWIW, Philadelphia's $1.6 Billion TV deal kicks in this year (along with the added revenue they get as part owners of the RSN) and their stupid silent partnership of owners (many of whom are dying anyway) is now being run by the richest of all of them (a multi billionaire) who is said to be willing to spend anything it takes. If Andy MacPhail and the new GM can get them close within a couple of seasons, I fully expect the Phillies to turn in to the Red Sox.

I can't see a day where say Cincinnati is in that position.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think Price to Boston is that much of a shock.

For all the talk about Price liking it in Toronto and potentially staying there, I don't think the Blue Jays ever really had a shot at him. Their offer probably wasn't within $50 million of what Boston gave him on top of the increased taxes. It was seen as a rent a player deal from day one and it was. Best you can is that the Jays at least got an ALCS title run out of it. Most don't even get a Wild Card from those types of deals.

I could be vastly wrong on this, yet I swore I heard on one of the sportsdesk shows that the Jays hadn't (yet) even tabled an offer.

I guess the Jays might've felt that they neither wanted to sign the 31yr old to a stupid long term deal nor insult his camp with a lowballed short term one either. Better left unsaid yes?

Even if Toronto had won the World Series I still think they would have let Price walk. If you're not going to come within $5 million/year of what the top offer was/is, I would say don't even bother picking up the phone. So yeah, its possible that the day lockers got cleaned out was also the last day anyone in the Blue Jays organization even talked to David Price.

Uhh... okay. I would've not liked 7yrs for a 31yr old who couldn't hold it all together in the playoffs mere weeks ago.

I know that, but still - I think it's nice to know that your team is at least on the running for the top free agent on the market. Shapiro didn't even want him, not even for his regular season success.

spacer.png

Lackey to Cubs. 2 years, $32-34M.

Which means that the market for Cueto is essentially down to the Cardinals, diamondbacks, and whoever doesn't sign Grienke of the giants and Dodgers (most likely SF)

spacer.png

Archived