NFL 2020: AFC West

colinturner95

I'm moving on from the NFC North and going to their AFC counterparts, beginning with Baltimore:

WW7uOOx.png

I never really understood why the Ravens used gold. Maybe someone can eduacte me, but I don't like it (call it unpopular). So gold is gone. Red takes its place. The purple is also a tad bit darker.

-Helmet is what the Jaguars should've done. Black helmet that appears purple when light hits it. That might not work seeing as the helmet is matte. Recolored logo graces the sides. Purple facemask.

-Baltimore goes the route of their in-state college, State Flag..er.. Universty of Maryland, and begins to use the state flag as a center point in the design.

-Numbers lose the drop shadow (thank god).

-Pants are now purple, which is a first IIRC, white and black remain. They also carry the flag pattern.

-Purple socks and shoes

Throwbacks:

CZYxGMj.png

Given that even in 2019/2020, the Ravens are only 23 years old. (Please check the math). So their "throwback" is to 2000 season, their first Super Bowl winning year. I didn't go older because of the snafu with the original logo.

C and C welcome.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excited about this Ravens concept:

First of all, tip of the old cap for doing something I've never seen in a Ravens concept: swapping gold for red. It really adds something to the design that I've never seen before and it really works.

Terrific idea of using the flag but altering the checkerboard part of the flag to either purple or white depending on the color of the jersey/pants. Same goes for the speckled black/purple helmet.

The only quip I have about the design is the numbers. Maybe its because I've never liked that particular font but the double outline with the red doesn't quite work for me. Maybe a different font or try some kind change to the colors or outlining?

All in all a really interesting design.

This is a good effort. I like a lot of it. My biggest quibble is how the checkered part of the flag is black and purple on white and has white on other backgrounds. The issue is that the pattern is very subtle on the white background but very prominent on the dark backgrounds. Either go subtle or bold all the time (but the black on purple, purple on black doesn't really bother me).

The helmet looks really good, but I do think what you are trying to do wouldn't really work on a matte finish. I would go with a normal finish to make it more realistic.

award%20sig.png

I feel like I'm new here again with the new layout. Anyways, here are the Bengals: 

YPUH3oR.png

After yet another crushing playoff loss, I definitely felt that Bengals need a change. I'm honestly surprised Marvin Lewis still has a job. But that's for another thread. 

-Helmet hasn't changed. 

-Jerseys harken back to earlier time in Bengals history, but still keep the uniqueness of the tiger pattern. 

-I added a serif to the #1 numeral. 

-I also truncated the pant stripe to separate from the look this was derived from 

-Orange socks and shoes

Throwback: 

KkH7YI5.pngThrew it back to 1968, first Bengal season. Despite the fact they look like the Browns, I am ok with this uniform

C&C welcome. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Your Ravens concept is off to a good start. I'm not a fan of how the purple and red work together though. I love the idea of the Maryland flag ion the sleeves. Maybe try sublimating them?  Overall, a good concept though. 

spacer.png

Hope you're having a good Championship Weekend. Here's a team that hasn't been there in a long time: 

zfOIK6f.png

I feel like I'm the only person who likes most of the new look the Cleveland Browns unveiled. Much of this is inspired by said look. 

-Helmet colors are about the only things that change. I'm using the new colors to distance from the old look, which felt really washed out to me. 

-Jerseys have the longer stripes. Unlike the real life uniforms, these truncate at a seam.

-Number font is back to a Varsity Block, wordmarks shrink on all jerseys. Home jersey numbers are white outlined in orange again. 

-Pants don't have the "BROWNS" in the stripe anymore, but I really wanted to try to fit it in, but alas I couldn't. Many of you are probaby pleased I didnt find a way. 

-I went away from orange socks. I don't like them. It's really that simple. 

-Brown socks and brown shoes. 

Throwbacks: 

7PAFe81.png

For a 19 year old like me, I still have a tought time wrapping my head around the fact that Cleveland was once the best in the NFL. These uniforms hail from 1964, the last NFL Championship the club won. 

C & C welcome on both the Bengals and the Browns. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I've been really busy, and also hoping for a bit more feedback, but at this point, I can't wait any longer, so here's Pittsburgh: 

NDPKu3t.png

I had initially intended to give the Steelers a full-on Nike makeover, but In the end, I completely went back on that idea. 

-Helmet changes in no way whatsoever.

-Jerseys change very minimaly. Collars have color now, but that's it. 

-Pants don't change at all. 

-Socks have stripes, which is neat. 

-Shoes are yellow. 

Fauxback: 

rcnkkzX.png

The Steelers also suffer from a period of boring uniforms. Not to mention I couldn't throwback to the Steelers dynasty of the '70s because they'd be wearing what they wear now. I went a little bit more conservative route and fauxed back to the 60's. Granted I know many players don't wear the compression gear, so part of the design is lost, but it's just the way she goes. 

-yellow helmet with the black stripe, grey facemask. 

-the black jersey had stripes on it, the white jersey had the cap sleeve and then came the stripes, but in the world of jerseys today, that simply would not work the same. Hence the undershirt with stripes. 

-pants are white with a triple stripe. 

-socks are black with yellow stripes, black shoes. 

C&C welcome, updates will come, followed by the NFC South. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I really like the Steelers concepts.

I LOVE the fact that the block number font is restored. It looks so much better than the italicized number font they use now.

Yeah, the numbers are a little big on the concepts, but the main idea comes across.

19 hours ago, bkknight95 said:

I've been really busy, and also hoping for a bit more feedback, but at this point, I can't wait any longer, so here's Pittsburgh: 

I had initially intended to give the Steelers a full-on Nike makeover, but In the end, I completely went back on that idea. 

-Helmet changes in no way whatsoever.

-Jerseys change very minimaly. Collars have color now, but that's it. 

-Pants don't change at all. 

-Socks have stripes, which is neat. 

-Shoes are yellow. 

Fauxback: 

The Steelers also suffer from a period of boring uniforms. Not to mention I couldn't throwback to the Steelers dynasty of the '70s because they'd be wearing what they wear now. I went a little bit more conservative route and fauxed back to the 60's. Granted I know many players don't wear the compression gear, so part of the design is lost, but it's just the way she goes. 

-yellow helmet with the black stripe, grey facemask. 

-the black jersey had stripes on it, the white jersey had the cap sleeve and then came the stripes, but in the world of jerseys today, that simply would not work the same. Hence the undershirt with stripes. 

-pants are white with a triple stripe. 

-socks are black with yellow stripes, black shoes. 

Bad.  Looks like a Division I-AA knockoff of Iowa.  The gold collar is repulsive, the nike logo below the collar is just tacky and reeks of collegiate-style uniform (the swoosh should be on the sleeves). Striped socks to match the striped sleeves?  Awful.  The only change I sort of like is the change to a black nameplate on the road jersey.  They did that in '97 for the uni-update from the 70's-early 90's style and it doesn't look too bad.  Gold nameplate for home, no question.  White, again, looks tacky and collegiate-grade.

Numbers are pretty big.

You said you can't throwback to the 70's dynasty team (also calling them boring) because it's what they would be wearing now, but that is so far from the truth it makes me cringe.  1997 they moved from block numbering to an italicized futura font (the same as the number decal on their helmets).  Also they added a patch to the right (would be their left if wearing the jersey) part of the upper chest.  It's almost completely different save for the color scheme.

What baffles me is that you kept the Packers literally the same with just a shade of lighter green on the throwback.  Blows my mind why you would think the Steelers would be so liberal to completely overhaul their uniform.

The faux-back isn't bad, especially the home rendition.  However, the gold outline on the numbers for the road jersey looks silly.  The black helmet would probably mesh better with the road jersey as well.  Overall I'd rather see the team in the alternate set they wore from 2007-11 that utilized the gold helmet.

Now bear in mind, though I'm being critical here, I really loved all the other teams updates and faux-backs.  I have yet to see a good Steelers concept so I may just be salty.  You made the Vikings, Browns, Lions, Jets, Bengals, and Eagles look so much cooler than what they already have it makes me a little jealous!  Throwing back to the Patriots helmet from their inaugural season was an awesome touch considering how well-known their 70's/80's throwback is.  

Other than the Steelers I think your concepts are pretty awesome and prophetic to how teams are going to look come 2020.  The Ravens concept was a little wacky, but so was the Seahawks current set when it first came out.

1 hour ago, ShaziersMissingEyebrows said:

Bad.  Looks like a Division I-AA knockoff of Iowa.  The gold collar is repulsive, the nike logo below the collar is just tacky and reeks of collegiate-style uniform (the swoosh should be on the sleeves). Striped socks to match the striped sleeves?  Awful.  The only change I sort of like is the change to a black nameplate on the road jersey.  They did that in '97 for the uni-update from the 70's-early 90's style and it doesn't look too bad.  Gold nameplate for home, no question.  White, again, looks tacky and collegiate-grade.

Numbers are pretty big.

You said you can't throwback to the 70's dynasty team (also calling them boring) because it's what they would be wearing now, but that is so far from the truth it makes me cringe.  1997 they moved from block numbering to an italicized futura font (the same as the number decal on their helmets).  Also they added a patch to the right (would be their left if wearing the jersey) part of the upper chest.  It's almost completely different save for the color scheme.

What baffles me is that you kept the Packers literally the same with just a shade of lighter green on the throwback.  Blows my mind why you would think the Steelers would be so liberal to completely overhaul their uniform.

Well remember that Iowa is in fact a deliberate copy of the Steelers. Back in 1979, the then head coach of the Hawkeyes received permission from the Steelers to copy their uniforms verbatim. So the Steelers reverting to block numerals would be like that exchange in Almost Famous about Lou Reed and David Bowie:

"You like Lou Reed?"
"The old stuff. Right now he's trying to be Bowie. He should just be himself."
"But Bowie's doing Lou, so if Lou's doing Bowie, Lou is still doing Lou."
"If you like Lou."

I love the striped socks on the Steelers. Anytime you can replicate the sleeve pattern on the socks is glorious in my mind. Currently only the Bills,Chiefs, and Bears pull this off but teams like the Packers, Steelers, Browns, and Vikings could do it easily. One minor change might be to keep the socks on the road uniform primarily black because regardless of the black or white jersey, the stripes remain exactly the same. 

34 minutes ago, llfhockey said:

achually the Bills socks are optical illusions. they only have one pair and the stripes look a certain way so at home the look like blue socks and away they look white

Its not an optical allusion. Their socks match the jersey stripes every game. There is an illusion in that with the blue tops on the away socks, both pairs look very similar but they are distinct:

USATSI_8912032.jpg

USATSI_8815444.jpg

7 hours ago, ShaziersMissingEyebrows said:

Numbers are pretty big.

The faux-back isn't bad, especially the home rendition.  However, the gold outline on the numbers for the road jersey looks silly.  The black helmet would probably mesh better with the road jersey as well.  Overall I'd rather see the team in the alternate set they wore from 2007-11 that utilized the gold helmet.

Now bear in mind, though I'm being critical here, I really loved all the other teams updates and faux-backs.  I have yet to see a good Steelers concept so I may just be salty.  You made the Vikings, Browns, Lions, Jets, Bengals, and Eagles look so much cooler than what they already have it makes me a little jealous!  Throwing back to the Patriots helmet from their inaugural season was an awesome touch considering how well-known their 70's/80's throwback is.  

Other than the Steelers I think your concepts are pretty awesome and prophetic to how teams are going to look come 2020.  The Ravens concept was a little wacky, but so was the Seahawks current set when it first came out.

I don't want to change the Steelers. That is my point. They have existed since 1933. They don't need to have a gradient helmet, a stripe interrupted by a wordmark or anything tacky like that. I mentioned in the description that I had plans to go full overhaul on the Steelers but it ended up looking terrible. So hence they don't look all that different. The Nike swoosh is below the collar because A.) the Steelers logo on the chest and B.) the NFL 100 logo. If this were the real NFL, the swoosh wouldn't be on the chest. But if it was where it is in real life, the stripes would be cut off as they are now. I went the route of white for the NOB because I thought the uniform was already yellow heavy so the white would balance it out. 

I get what you're saying about the Packers. I also explained that I was tired of seeing them in Navy Blue. It's honestly just a personal decision. When I hear "Green Bay Packers", I don't go to think of the Navy Blue and Yellow uniforms. I am immediately drawn to Green and Gold. I also chose the uniforms I did for them because in a year of anniversary for the NFL, I reasoned throwing back to the first uniform to win a Super Bowl wouldn't be a bad thing. I had initially thought about throwing back to the year the Steeler's first won a Super Bowl, 1974, but their uniforms would have been too similar. At least with the Packers the stripes do change. The greens don't actually change. 

I drew upon the uniforms from 1962 for the fauxbacks, and the white uniforms did have a gold outline, so I did preserve that. Overall, I was leading toward those uniforms (the throwbacks from 2007-2011) but I did want something a little bit different. The I do like the yellow helmet with it, since the black helmet wasn't worn until toward the end of the '62 season anyway. 

I understand your criticality. I'm not trying to predict what the NFL will look like in 2020, but I'm just trying to design what I want to see. I personally don't want to see the Steelers change all that much. I think they look pretty damn good currently, minus their current choice of font. I didn't change much because I don't want them to change. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

So, with the Pro Bowl being today, I am almost to the halfway point of the series. I actually don't have too many updates from the AFC North. 

Ravens: 

not quite an update, but I was doubting that a matte helmet could fade, but then I found: 

new-syracuse-two-color-helmets.jpg

If this can do this, I imagine the helmet I designed could function. 

Bengals, Browns: 

nothing changes. 

Steelers. 

steelers2020.thumb.png.28937a348bec4bd8a

I removed the Steelers logo from the chest so I could put the Nike swoosh back where it was. Got rid of the colored collars. I left the Home namplate white, I think it looks better. 

NFC South up next.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

If there is a rule about triple posting, I'm about to break it.

It's time for the NFC South, beginning with Atlanta:

aCaY2Rz.png

Given their current state of uniform, they need a change. 

-helmet doesnt change a whole lot. Silver does give way to gold throughout the uniform. 

-Uniforms have a stripe that is similarly shaped to the head of the falcon logo. 

-Kept the current font. I'm a sucker for custom fonts. 

-Pants have the same stripe. Black pants return for the first time since '08. 

-Red socks, red shoes.

Throwbacks:

iqCUZCn.png

The Falcons were founded in 1966, I went with uniforms from 1968. Still get the red helmet, in all that glory, but also jersey stripes. Just wanted the uniforms to have some life. 

C&C welcome. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Archived