1997/1998 Denver Broncos Blue Pants

Sport

Simple question - did the Broncos in their first or second year of the modern uniforms ever wear the blue pants? I think I remember hearing the story that they wore them once, but Elway hated them.

If so does anyone have a picture of this?

PvO6ZWJ.png

They may have worn it once or twice in the preseason. These photos are from the preseason game against New England IIRC.

fgUwpGB.jpg

rmN6mY1.jpg

cKoNZWR.jpg

dHjH8KN.jpg

From what I have heard as well, Elway didn't like them so they switched to the white pants for the regular season and didn't bring out the blues until he retired.

Go A's!

Yeah, the only time I remember seeing them was during the unveil, and in that preseason game against the Pats.

Now, were the white pants for the blue jersey originally part of the unveiled set, or was this a situation like the Jaguars' numbers, where they were a last-minute modification for opening week?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

From what I recall the white pants were not part of the original home uniform design but they were a part of the official set before the preseason. I'm guessing they wore the blue pants one time either to appease nike or somebody in the front office or possibly coax elway into acceptance.

The white pants couldn't have been a last-minute thing because they're different than the white pants that go with the white jersey. I vaguely recall three uniforms from the unveiling (sports center showed it and college-age BBTV laughed at them. )

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Those uniforms were groundbreaking when they came out. They felt like they were from the future.

It's almost shocking -- and a credit to Nike, really -- they've aged as well as they have.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Those uniforms were groundbreaking when they came out. They felt like they were from the future.

It's almost shocking -- and a credit to Nike, really -- they've aged as well as they have.

True. I was a kid at the time so I loved them because they were sharp and I had no attachment to the orange crush. My dad hated them.

They're in season 19 (albeit with a primary jersey color change thrown in) and I think they still manage to look modern and more fresh than most of the non-traditional uniforms that followed it. It's definitely had a life cycle though. New and cool and scary followed by every other high school team in the country ripping off the template and they got kind of stale. Then the high school teams moved onto even more ridiculous looking garbage and because the Broncos stuck it through that period now their uniforms are starting to take on an interesting timeless quality.

They didn't chase a trend, they started one, but because they stuck it out through the period after that trend died now they feel like a uniform the Broncos can wear forever. I can't say the same of the Bills, Vikings, Cardinals, Bengals, Falcons, Buccaneers, Jaguars, Seahawks. Those all just feel like stops along their visual history and they'll eventually change.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The only reason they've "aged well" is that as unconventional as they were, they're also relatively simple, and the designs that followed them have been so bad.

Are they good uniforms? No. But they're worlds better than the Bengals, Falcons, Cardinals, Jags, Seahawks, Buccs....

The only reason they've "aged well" is that as unconventional as they were, they're also relatively simple, and the designs that followed them have been so bad.

Are they good uniforms? No. But they're worlds better than the Bengals, Falcons, Cardinals, Jags, Seahawks, Buccs....

This is exactly what I've always thought. That Bronco uniform works because they found a single innovation (that continuous side stripe) and made that the focus. Realizing that was what the entire design was really about, there was no need to layer on any other nonsense. If anything keeps it from looking dated, it's that. Too bad the numerous imitators never figured that out.

That said, I believe the navy jersey over white pants is a better looking version than the current orange jersey over white. It looks more like how the design was meant to work. I understand the desire on the part of Bronco fans to reclaim the orange... it's more unique and a big part of the history. That's why the real move would be to update the classic orange jersey / bright blue helmet uniform, if you can trust Nike not to screw it up.

For the record, Elway putting the kibosh on the all-navy PJ's was pretty smart.

Was the white jersey shown at the unveiling? I know they wore the blue jerseys throughout the entire 1997 preseason, and I remember the CBS announcers saying in week one "We'll *finally* get to see the Broncos' new road uniforms in Seattle next week." I thought I remembered hearing the white jerseys were either unfinished or intentionally kept secret until that the week 2 game in the Kingdome.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm not sure if it was ever worn (and it didn't match, for one thing) but NFL Quarterback Club for the N64 had the Broncos road uniforms as white on blue. You couldn't change uniforms or anything on that game, so that's what you we're stuck with. It ALWAYS looked stupid. Every single time. I wonder why they had it that way in the game.

The home set was blue on white, so it was correct. I would always try to coax my older brother into letting me be the home team. It didn't work.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

I'm not sure if it was ever worn (and it didn't match, for one thing) but NFL Quarterback Club for the N64 had the Broncos road uniforms as white on blue. You couldn't change uniforms or anything on that game, so that's what you we're stuck with. It ALWAYS looked stupid. Every single time. I wonder why they had it that way in the game.

The home set was blue on white, so it was correct. I would always try to coax my older brother into letting me be the home team. It didn't work.

I never played N64's NFL Quarterback Club long enough to have a game with the Broncos. That game was a total hunk of garbage so no surprise they botched the Broncos uniforms. I think I played one half of one game between the Bengals and Packers and got so frustrated that I never played it again.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I never played N64's NFL Quarterback Club long enough to have a game with the Broncos. That game was a total hunk of garbage so no surprise they botched the Broncos uniforms. I think I played one half of one game between the Bengals and Packers and got so frustrated that I never played it again.
Players running in slow-mo.... tapping the blue button to "Turbo run". The best way to catch a pass was to full on dive for it. You'll catch it every time....

Yeah, it was pretty bad.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

The unveiling:

NGLQoSo.png?1

I have never seen the Broncos wear white on blue in any capacity. It wouldn't work with their current design (they would need to create a white jersey with orange stripes/panels to get the continuity with the pants stripe).

Not only did Elway not like the navy pants, he didn't like the navy jerseys, either.

"I did not like them, just because they weren't orange." -Elway (America's Game - 1997 Broncos)

Elway looked pretty silly in those. And Manning sort of does now. Those uniforms are for young guys and Elway was my dad's age when those uniforms came out. It looked like an old guy dressing young trying to be cool.

When Manning broke the TD record it was a shame they were wearing all navy because he looks the goofiest in that set.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived