nash61

Adidas offers to help high schools eliminate Native American mascots

Adidas is simply using the guise of being the good guy to get their product in the high school level since a lot of teams just use Nike or Under Armor and their team builder sites. If these HS kids start to like tire treads and tin foil, they they would be accepted more in college. Just my .02.

if it works, I couldn't care less what their motives are.

I wish that instead of just trying to eliminate Native American themes altogether, more effort would be put towards finding positive Native American themes to use. There's a lot of wonderful and interesting visuals, colors, styles, etc. that come along with Native American themes, and it'd be a shame to throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak. Too often the question when something's wrong is "how do we not do this," when it should be "how do we do this right."

It's interesting that adidas announces this initiative the same week as Nike continues their N7 project, which touches on a lot of points made above.

adidas is trying to throw money around to make a problem disappear. Nike is promoting some representative athletes to ensure the topic at hand stays relevant.

The Washington NFL team called out Adidas:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2015/11/05/rgiii-sponsor-adidas-announces-support-for-high-schools-that-want-to-drop-native-american-mascots/

They almost have a point, but then they start rattling off teams that don't really have offensive names or imagery except for Cleveland. The quote from Adidas was "potentially harmful Native American imagery or symbolism. I don't think any of those teams fit under that category apart from Chief Wahoo.

I don't think Adidas is looking to off those programs that are respectful in their usage of Native American imagery/names, just the messed up ones.

Adidas AG (German pronunciation: [ˈadiˌdas]) is a German multinational corporation that designs and manufactures sports shoes, clothing and accessories. The company is based in Herzogenaurach, Bavaria, Germany.

How about they butted out of US sports !

I wish that instead of just trying to eliminate Native American themes altogether, more effort would be put towards finding positive Native American themes to use. There's a lot of wonderful and interesting visuals, colors, styles, etc. that come along with Native American themes, and it'd be a shame to throw the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak. Too often the question when something's wrong is "how do we not do this," when it should be "how do we do this right."

I agree with this. The Braves and Blackhawks I'm completely fine with; not so much the Redskins and Indians. Though, that proposed new Blackhawks logo is pretty sick...

There's a fine line between cultural appropriation and celebrating a culture. In my opinion the Redskins steps into the racist and cultural appropriation zone, but something like the North Dakota Fighting Sioux I think is totally fine. From what I understand, the tribe has a very good relationship with the university and is fighting to keep that name. I personally don't really like all of this because to me it feels like they're trying to pretend that the Native Americans just don't exist. I've taken a few native american classes, and went to some pow-wow, and from what I heard native americans are very worried about people forgetting about them and not being heard, which this seems like an example of. It's just trying to pretend a problem doesn't exist instead of solving it.

Adidas board metting : So we ruined the NBA and NHL, what can we do next ? Mascots ? I like your thinking, Sehr gut !

The Washington NFL team called out Adidas:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/local/wp/2015/11/05/rgiii-sponsor-adidas-announces-support-for-high-schools-that-want-to-drop-native-american-mascots/

They almost have a point, but then they start rattling off teams that don't really have offensive names or imagery except for Cleveland. The quote from Adidas was "potentially harmful Native American imagery or symbolism. I don't think any of those teams fit under that category apart from Chief Wahoo.

I don't think Adidas is looking to off those programs that are respectful in their usage of Native American imagery/names, just the messed up ones.

Maybe they sort of have something approaching a point, but it's still a really :censored:ty and stupid point to make. Trying to shift the blame away from their own responsibility when it comes to this issue to Adidas (for WHATEVER reason they're doing this, altruistic or not) just shows how insanely out of touch that entire organization is.

The hypocrisy of changing names at the high school level of play and continuing to profit off of professional like-named teams is absurd”

First off, you dip s**ts, YOU are one of those organizations that's at the root of the initial problem, so you get ZERO say in this matter. Your opinion is wholly irrelevant. They wanna call out Adidas for their hypocracy? What about your OWN hypocracy?

Secondly, how does Adidas even really "profit" off of the Redskins name when Nike holds their apparel conract? Sure, they have a contract with RG3, but they would've signed that contract no matter where he ended up. It's not his fault, or Adidas' fault, that he got drafted by a team with a racist ass name. I'd assume that contract was probably already in motion long before he was drafted by those idiots.

:censored: the people who run the Redskins. They're a bunch of useless morons.

There's a fine line between cultural appropriation and celebrating a culture. In my opinion the Redskins steps into the racist and cultural appropriation zone, but something like the North Dakota Fighting Sioux I think is totally fine. From what I understand, the tribe has a very good relationship with the university and is fighting to keep that name.

Well, kinda. There are two recognized Sioux tribes in North Dakota, one wants to license the name to the university and the other does not.

And that's exactly what it is - licensing. The NCAA has the correct approach, requiring schools to license the intellectual property of the tribes. That gives the tribes control over their representation and prevents the teams from stepping over the line you identify.

There's a fine line between cultural appropriation and celebrating a culture. In my opinion the Redskins steps into the racist and cultural appropriation zone, but something like the North Dakota Fighting Sioux I think is totally fine. From what I understand, the tribe has a very good relationship with the university and is fighting to keep that name.

Well, kinda. There are two recognized Sioux tribes in North Dakota, one wants to license the name to the university and the other does not.

And that's exactly what it is - licensing. The NCAA has the correct approach, requiring schools to license the intellectual property of the tribes. That gives the tribes control over their representation and prevents the teams from stepping over the line you identify.

I agree. The NCAA approach is great. Don't remove all, even the ones that are legit and tied to a tribe. I've mentioned this before but my grandmother, from the Apache nation, was upset when a local CC stopped using the Apache name. She actually took it as an insult that they stopped using it. I'm not sure if the Apache nation was ever contacted or if they would've approved or disapproved. But, it's a true "other" opinion. Good to take all things into consideration.

I agree with this. The Braves and Blackhawks I'm completely fine with; not so much the Redskins and Indians. Though, that proposed new Blackhawks logo is pretty sick...

What new logo?

I agree that some helpful and useful guidelines could/should be established that would help to guide teams toward appropriate/acceptable native American nicknames and imagery, as well as some literature outlining what is not acceptable.. There are plenty of teams who were forced to drop nicknames/imagery as a result of all being lumped into the same category, but would prefer to continue with NA nickname respectfully and with honor if given acceptable options.. I think there are more ways to solve this problem than simply banning it altogether.

I wonder how different the tone of this thread would be if it was Nike.

It's a not-so-clever misdirection to mention teams like the Blackhawks, Chiefs and Braves in an attempt to throw everyone under the bus. If anything they reinforce the idea that tasteful native american imagery in sports is highly marketable. I'm not sure if this will be Adidas' approach but it'll be interesting to see what kinds of new ideas they can come up with anyway (I realize that their track record is not very encouraging).

Indeed.

Indeed.
If it used the same rules I'd say it'd be similar. But I think the reason most seem to be against it is because it seems to come from a point of desperation disquised as altruism.