Should NHL go back to white jerseys at home like old days?

Unocal

Tonight in the Avs/Coyotes game, Phoenix- in a rarity nowadays- wore their white uniforms at home.

From 1970-71 to 2002-03, it was colored jerseys on the road and white jerseys at home. Since then, it's been the opposite.

I really love it when teams go against the grain and wear white on home ice (Red Wings did this recently against Ottawa at the Joe.)

I think the Kings white unis would look much more awesome at the Staples Center, for example.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. 90% of the time, a teams coloured uniforms are vastly superior to their white counterparts, and one of the main attractions of an alternate uniform is the ability to use a different colour from the main set. Wearing white at home would confuse things and render the use of alternate uniforms a chore.

The good old days were coloured jersey at home and white on the road. That only changed in the 70's. A team's colours are as much of their identity as their logo, so they should be wearing them at home. And with the majority of alternate jerseys having been made are coloured, it makes no sense to switch back to white at home.

Yes, they should wear white jerseys at home. One of the reasons for the switch is because of the popularity of the third jerseys.

And that's all the more reason not to switch back.

I don't mind if teams do a couple of white home games to mix it up once in a while, but ultimately I prefer dark uniforms at home.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Yes, they should wear white jerseys at home. One of the reasons for the switch is because of the popularity of the third jerseys.

And that's all the more reason not to switch back.

I don't mind if teams do a couple of white home games to mix it up once in a while, but ultimately I prefer dark uniforms at home.

Same here. I think dark uniforms at home are the better option, but the whites are a nice treat every so often.

Yes they should and here's why. If you are a season ticket holder to say, the Detroit Red Wings and at every home game they wear their red sweater, that means their opponent must always wear their white sweater. In short, you have 41 home games where you see one team in red and one team in white EVERY SINGLE TIME!

At least if the home team wears its white sweater then you have visiting teams with various colours so it does not look so repetitive.

And PLEASE stop making the "they have to wear colours at home because third jerseys are popular" argument. Thirds are worn at most, 15 games a year.

I think that teams should be allowed to pick what jersey to wear at home, and let the road team know a head of time, so that you could get home whites, or home darks. So that way some teams could wear their best jerseys at home, ie: Rangers Blue at home, Habs red at home, Or Red Wings white at home. You could also get other teams to have some games at home where they can wear their whites that look great, and the darks because NHL... Like the Wild, Bruins, Hawks, Blues or Dallas... That way the League would have great colors and more great matchups.

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Yes they should and here's why. If you are a season ticket holder to say, the Detroit Red Wings and at every home game they wear their red sweater, that means their opponent must always wear their white sweater. In short, you have 41 home games where you see one team in red and one team in white EVERY SINGLE TIME!

Still waiting for the reason why teams should wear white at home. ;)

Seriously, this appeal to short attention spans really baffles me every time it is raised.

To answer the question, no. It is a good thing to go to the arena and see the home team wearing the home team's colors.

White at home was better for the fans because you got to see different color matchups each game. It was always your home whites vs your opponents colored jersey. Now with darks at home, every game is the same color template: your home darks vs the other teams white jersey.

However as long as the NHL is making money off third jerseys, its never coming back as the road teams arent going to want to pack 2 sets of helmets with them to accomodate games when the home team decides they want to wear their third jerseys and they have to wear white.

It's only ever going to happen like it did last night, where the Avs had a one game road trip, and could get away with only having to pack 1 set of equipment.

Archived