DC United Rebranding

MatFatCat

It was recently announced that DC United is planning to change its logo, and in light of this I've been trying to come up with my own rebranding idea just for kicks. The 3 stars on top come from DC's flag (I could alternatively use 4 stars for the # of championships). The version on the left has a darker shade of red added to create a shadow/3d effect, while the version on the right is more flatly colored. I'm not entirely satisfied with certain parts of my design such as the shield on the tail feathers, and I feel that the space could be used better, so if you have any suggestions let me know. Any feedback is much appreciated!

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-06%20at%2010.59.

I disagree, I think it looks a lot like a soccer crest. The only thing that seems a bit off is the neck and the head of the eagle seems to be behind the W and the wings because of the white. Perhaps increase the black up higher on the neckline so just the head is white could improve it.

I think something you could do, would be to take the shield shape and make that the shape of the crest, so it would encompass the eagle and stars then make the DCU bigger and fit into the bottom of the shield. I think the crest is on the road to being something better

Thanks for the feedback guys, here's the second draft. I decided to use 4 stars instead of 3 to match the current logo, and made changes to the neckline as Nugget suggested to make the head more integrated. I also expanded the bottom into a larger shield shape sort of like what Wgeddes suggested. Anything I should change?

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-07%20at%202.06.4

I like the concept and you're off to a good start! The area that needs the most work are the wings... they are too short right now, which is leading to a T-Rex "look how tiny my arms are" feel. Stretch those puppies out a little.

Looking at it harder, maybe you can sneak the Washington Monument in that DCU interlock in the negative space?

I like the concept and you're off to a good start! The area that needs the most work are the wings... they are too short right now, which is leading to a T-Rex "look how tiny my arms are" feel. Stretch those puppies out a little.

Looking at it harder, maybe you can sneak the Washington Monument in that DCU interlock in the negative space?

I am going to echo these statements from Matt here, the inclusion of the Monument could be fantastic if it's done in a way that's not forced.

I think the monument would make this way too clustered. I love the design of the crest, but I do agree the arms need to be longer. Try to make them long enough that they look better but also try to keep a nice shape for the crest.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

I think this is a solid crest, and I like the 4 stars better than the 3. I personally am thrown off a little by the tongue, and maybe that's just me. I would say it might look better without the Gene Simmons tongue. But a great start nonetheless

bWdXRDv.jpg

ZgaIoh4.jpg

I believe in Auburn and love it!                                                 @RealTCutt                                                                            Colossians 3:23

I've been playing around with the wings for a while, but when I try to make them longer it kinda ruins the narrow shield shape. I personally don't think they're too short, since most other soccer crests I've seen with eagles have similar wing lengths (such as Eintracht Frankfurt, FC Anzhi Makhachkala, Afc Wimbledon, FC Aarau, etc.) Also I tried inserting Washington Monument but found that it made things look a bit too busy. I also tried removing the tongue, but it looked like something was missing.

First, the majority of those crests you listed are specifically referencing the heraldic eagle of Germanic/Scandinavian heritage, which makes sense given the location of those clubs. For DC United, it makes much less sense, because I immediately made the mental connection to the heraldic eagle that you were referencing.

However, if you're convinced you want to keep the shorter wings, then I'd recommend either making the negative/white spaces between the feathers smaller or eliminating the unnecessary W shape and then bumping the letters/shield up and making the eagle less tall (which lengthens the wings by default).

Just my two cents.

One small thing I'd love to see you try is a fairly narrow white border(but not actually on the border, slightly in from it) that goes from the edge of the wings to the bottom of the black thing below the DCU. Just feel like it would make the whole thing pop nicely.

Personally I think I would widen the whole thing slightly and/or bring the wings down and to the side a bit.

Great look though. Miles better than their current already.

Archived