Need help with NCAA football friendly tournament logos

the_grateful_ted

Hello again guys, I'm back requesting some assistance with some logos i'm making for a little NCAA tournament thing. It's been a running tradition for a few years now with me and a couple of friends, and for this year I decided to step it up and whip up some logos for the fictional teams we created. So far I have two, one for the Serra University Padres, and another for the Maui State University Seals.

junipero_zpskpok6wvb.png

So far this is what I have for Serra. Fore reference, I am basing this design off a statue outside the Ventura City Capitol (this fictional university is in Ventura, CAL). The statue is of Junipero Serra, the founder of Ventura. He was a priest, and that where the PADRE name comes from. As a whole, I'm just not very satisfied with the logo as a whole.I've worked alot on this, but I've reached a point where I just can't figure out what to do. So some tips or advice would be very appreciated.

ball_on_nose_zpsm5n3takr.png

Aaaand here are the Maui State Seals. Just a simple seal balancing a beach ball on his nose. The M stands for Maui obviously, but I'm having trouble seeing what to do with the back of the seal. It just seems very open and blank, and im not sure how to fix that. Thanks to everyone for checking this out, have a great day and I'm looking forward to hearing your C&C.

How about an outline of the island of Maui either above or behind the seal? The pose of the seal might even be adjusted to match the shape...

maui_outline_10_white.jpg

Alternatively, a side view of the island, behind the seal?

fishing-boat.jpg

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

Both logos are alright, but I just can't picture them as a sports teams' mark. Make them more fierce to resemble athletics.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

Archived