The Deutschenliga (5/18) - A Fictional League

PaperThin

For a while now, I've been working up the nerve to start a rather large project about soccer. Not just creating one league, but several. My idea is to create several soccer leagues in major European countries (Italy, Germany, England, France, and Spain, to be exact.) My mission was to create 18 to 20 team leagues in those 5 countries. The top 4 teams from each league would then play in the Champions League, as well as a few other teams I will make scattered around Europe. There will be the group, then the playoffs would commence. This is obviously inspired by Windell's Professional Dodgeball Coalition. This is a way for me to try to improve my graphic design skill and share it with you. Anyways, here's the first league, the Deutschenliga, from Germany.

(Correct me if I'm wrong with any spelling, I don't speak german.)

The Deutschenliga

aykgWIY.png

The league was found in 1966, as a merger of several regional leagues across Germany. Teams hopped on the bandwagon as a way to earn money, since many of the teams were small and unwealthy. At first, the league was a small 12 teams competing in the top league, but as years went on, the league added 6 more teams as well as higher competition. The line between the top class teams and the mid-table and bottom half teams grew. Only a handful of teams actually competed for the Cup, while the rest just played to survive relegation. It wasn't until the 90s that those winning teams started to shine in International play as well, and with that, the Deutschenliga has become one of the most watched leagues in Europe.

u3J7jjd.png

99 Erfurt

GJt2Jx4.png

Despite being an old and historic team in Germany, since they were founded in 1899, Erfurt has only recently seen the top leagues. The team started being funded by Allianz Bank in 1990, where they managed to pick up a world class manager and players. At the time, they were in the fourth tier. In five seasons, they quickly bounced up to the Deutschenliga. However, with only passion for money, the players lacked in performance, and the team played in and out of the league. It wasn't until 2008, where star forward Mario Karislav, born and raised in Erfurt, surprised teams with his powerful left leg and quickness. The team earned a second place spot in the second tier, and moved up last season. The team depicts the wheel of Mainz that is featured in their coat of arms, and the colors come from the city coat of arms as well. The team has always worn a red kit at home, while the away kit has always been a bizarre and off color scheme not related to the team.

TnMsK4U.png

u3J7jjd.png

I like this start. This seems to be an interesting series, I'll follow it.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

maybe more explanation about the team name, logo, and colors, if you are creating these leagues you are going to create more elaborate back stories in order to make this seem more than a re-branded bundesliga, or premier league, etc. I get it 99 Erfurt, erfurt is the town and 99 is the year founded probably 1899, but just more explanation will help make this concept convincing. Good look and start with 99 EF, then I also suggest for the kits putting the team name on the back as well since that is a commonality among german clubs.

Good start, just more explanation and more detail in the back story will help this concept

maybe more explanation about the team name, logo, and colors, if you are creating these leagues you are going to create more elaborate back stories in order to make this seem more than a re-branded bundesliga, or premier league, etc. I get it 99 Erfurt, erfurt is the town and 99 is the year founded probably 1899, but just more explanation will help make this concept convincing. Good look and start with 99 EF, then I also suggest for the kits putting the team name on the back as well since that is a commonality among german clubs.

Good start, just more explanation and more detail in the back story will help this concept

Completely forgot about those, edited in OP. As for the names on the back, I chose not to because it makes the back too cluttered with some designs.

u3J7jjd.png

Completely forgot about those, edited in OP. As for the names on the back, I chose not to because it makes the back too cluttered with some designs.

I completely understand about the team name on the back.

Thanks for the explanation, for 99EF maybe make the hoop across the middle white instead of black to look like the flag, although it does look good in black and works well with the shorts

I completely understand about the team name on the back.

Thanks for the explanation, for 99EF maybe make the hoop across the middle white instead of black to look like the flag, although it does look good in black and works well with the shorts

I don't know about a white hoop. While it does look accurate to the flag, I agree that black looks much better.

u3J7jjd.png

Fürth FC

6cL0FrH.png

Furth was founded in 1885, making them one of the oldest clubs in the league, as well as one of the 12 original teams in the Deutschenliga. Entering the league, they were massive compared to most teams. Compiled of mostly of world class German players, Furth won 6 league titles from 1963 to 1980. After scandals that led to the firing of legendary manager Lucius Perrelli in 1983, who won them all five titles, the team simmered down to an average mid table team. From the mid 80s to the 90s, both Furth fans and players were known for being some of the most aggressive in the league. In important matches, players often taunted opposing fans and caused fights. With that, they became one of the most hated teams in Germany. To pile on the hate, two bankruptcies in 1999 and 2005 would help them plummet to an all time low. They have recovered, but still are hated by most fans of the league. The team adorns a clover, from the city's coat of arms, and the initals FFC. The teams has worn the classic green home kit for decades, and is a true classic in the league.

ulsIMJ6.png

NOTE- There isn't any league logos on the sleeves, mainly because that looks too cluttered, so yeah.

u3J7jjd.png

I like that you are using the coat of arms as inspiration for the logos, and I think you have done a good job making the logos look German. If you notice German team logos tend to be simple logos with names, initials, and or numbers and they tend to be round. So good job so far

For furth I think on the away kit you could make the name numbers ad and Nike logo all green because I think the gradient is low enough. Try and see if that works

Might as well post another team since I won't be able to until Monday.

Augsburg FC

IhAy03T.png

Augsburg was found in 1905 and has always been an average team. Augsburg has not once reached any place above 5th in the Deutschenliga since they first joined in 1977. The team has always been a quiet team in the league, but it is the starting place. Having one of the best youth academies in Europe, the team hosted players like forward Christen Sjevic and Nicklas Berg, only to sell them to bigger teams within a few seasons. For a few seasons, the team is closer to the top of the table, while other seasons they fight to survive relegation. The team uses the odd look of teal and black, and despite the interesting color scheme, the team wears rather plain kits.

BBrpBLQ.png

u3J7jjd.png

I'm back and it seems pretty lively here, so here's the next team.

Vfl Stuttgart

c4PPlhQ.png

Stuttgart was founded in 1946, but was actually first founded in 1898 as Eintracht Stuttgart, until it folded due to the World Wars. Stuttgart was one of original 12 teams and was always an underdog to the other teams. Typically full of young players that shined in the league, but lacked the quality of the all stars on the bigger teams. The team saw two seasons of success in 1977 and 1978, where in both seasons they went undefeated. The team then went under the radar and fell into the mid table. In 2005, they emerged with a bright new squad. Players like goalkeeper Robert Grün and forward duo Gervinho and Jakub Glowacki led them to success and a league title in the 2005/06 season. Since then, the team lost their momentum and dragged down to the bottom half of the table, where their players have now aged and lost the peak of their career. The team uses a yellow diamond with a horse from the coat of arms, with two white banners. The team wears a classic black jersey with barely visible diamonds and a simple white away kit.

jO4BJhQ.png

Also, may I please get more C+C? I want to see some input and it's what is striving me to keep posting.

u3J7jjd.png

I know I keep saying this, but can I please get more C+C on this? I haven't gotten many reactions.

FC Düsseldorf

kQLxvK8.png

Düsseldorf was one of the original 12 teams, but always lived in the shadows of the bigger teams. They never managed to pull their weight and shine, let alone finish in the top half of the table. Lacking money, a fan base, and overall the quality of bigger teams, they haven't finished above 7th in the league since the 1980/81 season. Several times in the past seasons, coach after coach promised top half of the table and even European qualification, but none of them have been able to succeed. The team uses a roundel with an anchor in the middle, symbolizing Düsseldorf on the Rhine River. The team sports the blue hoops on the home kit, while still keeping with their main colors in a light blue away kit.

qUsJt8x.png

u3J7jjd.png

Archived