generalshepherd141

Grand Rapids pro sports?

If somehow Grand Rapids, Michigan received an NFL, MLB, NBA, or NHL team, would they stay afloat?

Personally I think the NBA or NHL could be viable, probably NBA. The Western Michigan-Detroit rivalry would help. However, Grand Rapids would be the second-smallest NBA city, smallest MSA, and 4th-smallest media market. There would be obstacles to overcome, and it would take lots of work, but if a potential NBA team could use Van Andel for a few years until hypothetically a new arena gets built I think they would develop a fan base and survive.

If you want an NFL team in Grand Rapids, feel free to take the Chargers off San Diego's hands.

So you decided to replace a growing Sun Belt city (and state capital) with a shrinking to stagnant Rust Belt one, huh?

Your Austin TX in NHL thread:

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/103204-could-austin-tx-support-an-nhl-team/?fromsearch=1

At least IF the new USFL actually raises all their needed money, Grand Rapids is an option.

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/10/19/grand-rapids-in-running-for-pro-football-team/74253034/

I think Van Andel Arena should just be turned into a parking lot.

Grand Rapids is a good minor league market and farm system location for Detroit, but they wouldn't be able to sustain any of the major pro sports.

Grand Rapids is the definition of a perfect minor league market. Great sports town, but not big league worthy.

Why stop there? I think we need a NFL team in Anchorage, Alaska. Not only do we need an NFL team there, but I think we need to hold the Super Bowl there, so we can have that Ye Olde Tyme Football experience. I propose to call them the Alaska Yet-i.

Remember the Rampage?

Yeah, that was the closest Grand Rapids will ever get.