St. Louis University's New Billiken Logo

DaytonBlue

Unpopular opinion, but I actually like it. Considering there's not really a textbook definition of WHAT a Billiken actually is (SLU made it up), they can have free reign to re-imagine it.

It's not like their mascot is a moose and they stuck a big elephant trunk on it.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

this logo is an improvement in the sense that it's bolder, cleaner lines simplify the logo and make it much easier to reproduce and to do it in a more consistent fashion. it's a logo that just about anyone can draw, which is good.

it's a bit lifeless though. i think it would have been best to round off those sharp points and go for a "friendlier" look - it kind of seems a bit too close to evil, but really it's just following the status-quo of sports logos.

as a few have pointed out the real heartbreaker here is the gray shadowing. it's using this "flat-shading" technique without really understanding what makes that work, or how to use it properly. a master of that half face flat shading is Tom Whalen, and as you can see in his work, he doesn't use it to be lazy. his shadows actually curve somewhat and provide a sense of form and depth. he would never have done that straight line up through the hair.

gijoe_arah_reg.jpg?format=750w

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• 3 weeks later...

I wish the Saint Louis Billikens were in the current Big East Conference along with a Northeastern school. Especially as DePaul and Marquette were their rivals while they were in Conference USA. They'd also make Creighton less isolated from the rest of the Big East.

I dislike this. Doesn't intimidate me at all, isn't too visually appealing to me. Tbh I wouldn't use this logo for a high school

Are there other logos out there that do intimidate you? Like legitimately scare you so much that you don't want your team to face them?

I like where they began with the logo but a couple issues for me. First, the chin is way too pointed and needs to be rounded. Second, there are no chubby cheeks which is also a defining characteristic of a Billiken. If the face was not as smooshed, it would probably be fine. Here's my take tweaking the logo.

billiken_logo.jpg

He looks like he's one sailor cap away from chasing the Ghostbusters.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I dislike this. Doesn't intimidate me at all, isn't too visually appealing to me. Tbh I wouldn't use this logo for a high school

Are there other logos out there that do intimidate you? Like legitimately scare you so much that you don't want your team to face them?

large.png

uggh, its so bad! please dont make me look at it anymore! Lord help my eyes if the Colts ever have to play against this terrible blob of shapes

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

SLU really needed an updated logo. The old Billiken looked like a relative of the Michelin man!

Sport Management Graduate (BGSU '13)

Specializing in Social Media and Journalism

Columbus, Ohio

B3mgxYh.gifo05tWrL.gif6JSMQJl.jpgQHWPELV.jpg

Columbus Crew The Oakland Raiders Bowling Green Falcons Ohio Dominican Panthers

Communications Intern Spring '14 Internet Intern Summer '13 Athletic Communications Intern '11-'13 Sports Information Intern Summer '12

Follow me on Twitter! @alex_krempasky

• 9 months later...
12 hours ago, illini1 said:

SLU is going to scrap the new Billiken mascot and redesign it again due negative response. Apparently they're not redesigning the logo though. 

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/billiken-beat/billiken-backlash-slu-will-re-design-mascot-again/article_22a14d7f-9710-5d48-b816-ce359abb6aac.html

"Award-winning" logo? What awards could that monstrosity have won?

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Archived