League du Nord redux [Finished!]

-kj

Yeah of course. I just mean that because you're being very creative and original with your designs, some don't quite hit the mark for me. Examples might be the "arm-stripe-to-side-piping" of Bloomington, or the paisley shirt of Uptown. purely personal preference. That being said, there are some really classy looks too (like Fargo or Iron Range).

I'll confess that most of these are based on manufacturer templates; for example, the Bloomington kits are based off of a Macron teamwear kit. Obviously I've thrown in some team-specific flourishes, like the afore-mentioned paisley for Uptown.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mockba, though I'm not much of a soccer fan, I have been very much enjoying this series. Some of the kits are really out there but I find them to be intriguing and inspirational. Of some of the recent kits, I especially liked Granite City. One that I wasn't sure about was the yellow brick road kits of Grand Rapids. I think the vertical stripe threw me off, perhaps it may work better as a sash.

Can't believe you're still able to come up with new designs at this point. Keep up the good work.

Can't believe you're still able to come up with new designs at this point. Keep up the good work.

Trust me, I'm still surprised I can come up with new designs. I'm definitely running low on creative juice, but I'm muddling through.

It seems that my server is having some issues; I think they're related to the DNS, but I'm not entirely sure at this point. Anyway, if you can't see any of the images in the thread at the moment, that's why. I'm holding off on posting new stuff until I can get that resolved.

POTD 2013-08-22

Turned out that the network to my server was down. It's back now, so here we go. I had another change of mind, so the first one today is out of order.

Hopkins FC

Hopkins, Minnesota

Hopkins.png

Hopkins has held an annual Raspberry Festival since 1934; the team latched on to that legacy for its badge, which depicts a raspberry with a soccer ball pattern.

The Berries' kits are made by Nike. The home kit is dark raspberry (which closely resembles plum) with green sleeves, while the change kit is minty green with white shorts. The club is sponsored by retailer SuperValu, which is based in nearby Eden Prairie and runs a distribution center in Hopkins.

Marshall FC

Marshall, Minnesota

Marshall.png

Marshall's crest depicts a lion, playing on the fact that Marshall is the county seat of Lyon County.

The Lions wear all-blue kits at home, while their change kits are white with yellow shorts and shoulders. The kits are supplied by German company Erima and are sponsored by Marshall-based Schwan's.

POTD 2013-08-22

Four more to go after this. I was hoping to release the last two on Thursday, but I've gotten a little behind on designing, so that may not happen.

Minnetonka City FC

Minnetonka, Minnesota

Minnetonka-City.png

In the early days of Minnetonka, four distinct city areas developed: Glen Lake, Groveland, Minnetonka Mills, and Oak Knoll. The badge for Minnetonka City plays tribute to that history with a four-sectioned shield in a similar style to the coat of arms of the Bohemian Crown, giving a nod to some of the early settlers of the village. In the center of the shield is a saw blade, acknowledging the lumber mills and furniture factories in the city's history.

The Bohemians' kits are made by Adidas. At home, the club wears red shirts with silver detailing, including pinstripes; the kit is completed with blue shorts and red socks. The change kits are green with yellow trim. MCFC is sponsored by Optum, a subsidiary of Minnetonka-based UnitedHealth Group.

Northfield FC

Northfield, Minnesota

Northfield.png

Part of Northfield folklore is the foiling of a bank robbery by Jesse James' gang; the city hosts an annual festival to commemorate the event and the bravery of the townsfolk. That connection led NFC to style their badge after current lawmen, specifically Minnesota county sheriffs and state patrolmen.

The connection to sheriffs carries over to the Lawmen's kits. Supplied by Kappa, the home kit includes a khaki shirt and brown shorts and socks, imitating the look of a county sheriff. The change kit is navy with powder blue socks. The club is sponsored by Post Foods, which recently purchased Malt-O-Meal; there has been a Malt-O-Meal factory in Northfield since 1927.

POTD 2013-08-22

Is there any significance to the powder blue socks? Seems a little extraneous, especially with yellow accents throughout the rest of hte change kit.

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Is there any significance to the powder blue socks? Seems a little extraneous, especially with yellow accents throughout the rest of hte change kit.

Mostly it was based on the idea of police officers often wearing powder blue; I also thought that light socks would be a good idea since the home socks are dark. I thought about making the whole kit powder, but it's too tonally similar to the khaki.

You might well be right about it; I'll have to take another look at it and consider changing it.

POTD 2013-08-22

Mostly it was based on the idea of police officers often wearing powder blue; I also thought that light socks would be a good idea since the home socks are dark. I thought about making the whole kit powder, but it's too tonally similar to the khaki.

You might well be right about it; I'll have to take another look at it and consider changing it.

Ah. Fair enough. Maybe just change the accents to powder blue...?

"Type something, will ya? We're paying for this stuff." - Peter Venkman
Complete: Stateside Soccer Federation | Complete: World Football Club Alliance | Stalled: Roller Hockey International Redux | Stalled: MLB & Soccer Crossover

Almost there now.

Richfield FC

Richfield, Minnesota

Richfield.png

In the early 20th Century, the "market gardening" industry developed in Richfield. Paying tribute to this history, RFC's crest depicts a tulip in a roundel.

The Fielders' kits are supplied by Umbro. The home kit is all green; the shirt features a tonal striping pattern. The change kit includes a white shirt with a similar striping pattern; red shorts and socks complete the look. The club is sponsored by Richfield-based Best Buy.

South St. Paul FC

South St. Paul, Minnesota

South-St-Paul.png

At one point in time, South St. Paul was the home to the largest stockyards in the country. While the cattle industry in South St. Paul started receding in the 70s--the stockyards fully closed in 2008--the history of SSP lives on in the club crest, which is made to look like a branding iron mark.

The Beef are outfitted by Puma. The home kit is gold and maroon, while the change is charcoal and silver. SSPFC is sponsored by convenience store chain SuperAmerica.

POTD 2013-08-22

I made it after all. Below are the final two teams. Next week I'm planning to add some ancillary materials.

Stillwater FC

Stillwater, Minnesota

Stillwater.png

Stillwater, known as the "Birthplace of Minnesota", was a logging town for many years. The badge for Stillwater FC pays tribute to that with a stylized pine tree along the banks of the St. Croix River.

The White Pines live up to their nickname, wearing all-white kits at home; the shirts include a sublimated river pattern. The change kit is all green with brown trim; the front of the change shirt features the pattern from the crest. SFC's kits are supplied by Admiral and sponsored by Andersen Windows, which is headquartered in nearby Bayport.

Winona FC

Winona, Minnesota

Winona.png

Winona is a large center of the Kashubian Polish diaspora. The descendants of those early settlers formed Winona FC, using a stylized version of the Kashubian coat of arms; the crown of the griffin on the crest is in the shape of a W.

The Griffins' kits are made by Le Coq Sportif. At home, the team wears all yellow, including a two-tone yellow on the chest. The change kits pay homage to the Polish heritage, with white-and-red half shirts with red shorts and white socks. The club is sponsored by Winona-based manufacturer Fastenal.

POTD 2013-08-22

Simply amazing! Everything about this project right up my alley! A million thumbs up :)

If you ever decide to make a 4th division, I would love to see either Lindstrom or Mora as that would be fantastic for my very biased Swedish eyes!

I might be a bit late for this, but congrats on finishing this series! It's been a great follow all throughout! :)

And pretty cool how you got that shoutout on the mothership!

Ditto. It did make me notice that all the teams end with FC, though

image.png 

"Okay, Mr. OKC, you obviously have never been to Louisville."

Archived