infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL week 10

infrared41

Week ten could have been a really good week in uniform match ups. Instead, we ended up with a few good match ups, the longest "thanks for ruining..." list yet, and a game that managed to take the top spot in two different categories - which I believe is a first for my silly little lists. So let's give the wheel a spin and play our game. As always, your mileage may vary.

Best:

1. Lions - Packers: Take away the first "color rush" disaster and a few teams choosing bad looks over good ones, and this game might have had a tougher time taking the top spot. Still a great looking match up that would have made the best list regardless. I'm a bigger fan of the Lions road look than I am of their home uniforms. The Packers primary uniforms always look great.

Packers.jpg

2. Vikings - Raiders: I really like the VIkings white over purple set, but I think there are times when an all white look would work better for them and this game is a good example of that. Black and silver is a dominant color scheme and the Viking purple pants stand out a little too much. I think all white would have been a better color balance. Still a really good looking game.

Vikings.jpg

3. Patriots - Giants: Not a bad looking game at all, but it didn't have much competition this week. All the "ruined" match ups put this game in the #3 slot.

Giants.jpg

Thanks for ruining a great match up...

1. Bills - Giants: Merry Christmas. Is this the first time both teams ruined a good looking match up? This game should have been in contention for the #1 spot on the best list. Instead, we got whatever this was supposed to be. The good news? This just might be the worst color rush game we'll be subjected to. The bad news? It might not be.

Jets.jpg

2. Bears - Rams: The Rams have some really good looking combos and monochrome blue isn't any of them.

Rams%20.jpg

2. Panthers - Titans: The Rams Titans have some really good looking combos and monochrome blue isn't any of them.

Panthers.jpg

3. New Orleans - Washington: We knew that the minute the Saints lost wearing the gold pants, they'd go running back to the black pants. Then they got their asses kicked wearing the black pants. So now what?

Saints.jpg

Worst:

1. Bills - Jets: Ugliest NFL match up I've ever seen. A monochrome nightmare. I don't know what else to say about it. Except this, it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be and it was still the ugliest uniform match up I've ever seen.

Jets.jpg

2. Cardinals - Seahawks: Dated, ugly modern uniform with a bunch of stupid elements meets Nike-fied ugly modern uniform with a bunch of stupid elements. And Bills - Jets was so ugly that this game still came in second place.

Cards.jpg

That's it for this week. Thanks for dropping by. Here's hoping we have a little more to work with next week.

The Seahawks look has really really grown on me. Partly that's due to the success of the team causing a me to affiliate that era with good teams, but I think Nike's first revolutionary uniform has been its best.

The colors are unique and contrast really well, while their previous set just blended together and was just dull. They don't do any of the tapered striping that drives me nuts with other teams (broncos pants stripe, titans/panthers/old bills helmet stripe, vikings shoulder stripe). The pant, shoulder, and collar stripes are a good blend of modern and symmetry. All i could ask for maybe is a little more white, either in the numbers or the pants.

The Seahawks look has really really grown on me. Partly that's due to the success of the team causing a me to affiliate that era with good teams, but I think Nike's first revolutionary uniform has been its best.

The colors are unique and contrast really well, while their previous set just blended together and was just dull. They don't do any of the tapered striping that drives me nuts with other teams (broncos pants stripe, titans/panthers/old bills helmet stripe, vikings shoulder stripe). The pant, shoulder, and collar stripes are a good blend of modern and symmetry. All i could ask for maybe is a little more white, either in the numbers or the pants.

Count me as a Seahawk uniform hater. It's just all too much, like they had a bunch of too-clever ideas and didn't know when to quit. If they went to white numbers (minus the tiny pattern) and wore their gray pants full time (with green pattern motif inside the navy stripe), this outfit goes from awful to OK.

Cardinals uniform is dated and modern?

Are these classic looking? Vintage? Not ag all. How about the 90s and 2000s panels craze? It's totally overdue... These are dated and modern.

I agree... saying both dated and modern sounds like an oxymoron, but in this case, I know exactly what Infrared means.

What I wrote in another thread:

I say it every time they're worn but the Giants look beautiful in white pants. Should be their full time look.

Also always happy to see the Cowboys in their superior blue jerseys and uniform that actually matches.

I would like to add to that that the Chiefs looked amazing in all white with red socks.

The Seahawks would look decent if they wore gray pants most of the time at home. But they wanna be the mono team.

I still hate the chest stripes though. Looks awful on both them and the Browns.

I get the "dated and modern" comment as well. The Cardinals, much like the Falcons, are kind of in "uniform limbo". They don't look classic or timeless, so they take to a modern look. However, that modern look is trapped forever in the mid-2000's and thus don't look like they belong today. They were trendy looks whose only home was the gap between 2004-2010ish, and that time is well passed.

In short, Arizona and Atlanta are desperately due for a change.

Three thoughts from this week:

- I still think NE needs to ditch some turn-of-the-century elements and I dislike the G-Men out of their grey pants in that set, but that overall look screams "Super Bowl" and feels important.

- The Bills red unis would be a home run with blue or especially white pants.

- Nike has made an absolute mess of the New York Jets. I would love to see both New York (Jersey) teams reboot to the 80's

In CCSLC parlance, yes.

i was being a jackass slightly, but honestly i think it's time we stop calling the Reebok NFL era designs "modern". just because a team has a swooping pants stripe no longer means those things are still trending and deserve the "modern" moniker. the trends have moved past that and the real defining modern uniforms of the last few years include satin helmet finishes and new re-workings of timeless elements (think Vikings and Dolphins stripes).

that said, i do think the Broncos and Cardinals uniforms are stuck in this short time period where you can see when it was designed, but you can say that for most things. just because it looks old-ish doesn't mean it no longer is good. i actually really like both of those uniforms and think they'll do just fine to stick with them indefinitely. look how long the Ravens and Titans have had their designs (about the same as Denver); they're not great but why change? the reason Oregon changes so often is to stay ahead of trend curves - their brand is about constant change/improvement and finding a new way; they reflect that in their identity, but these NFL teams arn't really built on that. look how un-authentic that looks on the Browns

In CCSLC parlance, yes.

i was being a jackass slightly, but honestly i think it's time we stop calling the Reebok NFL era designs "modern". just because a team has a swooping pants stripe no longer means those things are still trending and deserve the "modern" moniker. the trends have moved past that and the real defining modern uniforms of the last few years include satin helmet finishes and new re-workings of timeless elements (think Vikings and Dolphins stripes).

that said, i do think the Broncos and Cardinals uniforms are stuck in this short time period where you can see when it was designed, but you can say that for most things. just because it looks old-ish doesn't mean it no longer is good. i actually really like both of those uniforms and think they'll do just fine to stick with them indefinitely. look how long the Ravens and Titans have had their designs (about the same as Denver); they're not great but why change? the reason Oregon changes so often is to stay ahead of trend curves - their brand is about constant change/improvement and finding a new way; they reflect that in their identity, but these NFL teams arn't really built on that. look how un-authentic that looks on the Browns

I didn't take it that way, but OK.

Fine by me. I'll just call them what they are - ugly.

There's a reason they're called timeless elements.

When wearing the right combos, both the Ravens and Titans have great looks - in my opinion. That's why they don't need to change - in my opinion.

Archived