Inaccurate colors/uniforms in video games that should know better

43 minutes ago, Matito said:

Don't forget Madden NFL 2002, making up jerseys (and a white helmet) for the expansion Houston Texans.

8166468_orig.png

Ah yes, I actually did forget about that! They even put a disclaimer in the manual saying the real uniforms hadn't been revealed yet:
lGiwXz5.jpg
(Kinda bad timing with that date, though...)

The kicker is, that graphic you linked is wrong: the Texans' away jersey in that game was actually head-to-toe white, including the socks:
AWS5EBc.png

Though I did always like that white helmet, I think ESPN NFL 2K5 had a set with it too; shame they decided to shelve it in real life...

• Like 8

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, jmac11281 said:

Wasn't it that they didn't allow Tecmo Bowl to use their names?

The three had opted out of all NFLPA licensing agreements, so kinda-sorta yea.

6uXNWAo.png

The Madden 2002 Texans reminds me of when NHL 12 first came out and they didn't have the uniforms for the Winnipeg Jets yet, so you had 2 options before the update: Throwback uniforms or Generic Silver and Black NHL uniforms. 

• Like 1

XM4KeeA.png

On 3/23/2017 at 3:04 AM, Cujo said:

Not a uniform, but this "inaccuracy" always bugged tf outta me on Tecmo.

fictional-athlete-hall-of-fame-200804110 l186.gif Tecmo-Super-Bowl-0.png

Cunningham, Kelly and Kosar for all you millennials. Get off my lawn.

Cunningham in tecmo was the equivalent to Vick in Madden 2004

human cheat code

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2015 at 8:00 PM, Discrimihater said:

As long as I'm thinking about it, IIRC in a number of the early Madden games, the Bills wore blue pants with their white jerseys despite having dumped them in the mid 80s.

....aaaand I'd forgotten about the inaccuracies I'd seen in Gameday 2004 until I decided to reenact Super Bowl XXV for the hell of it.  Unlike in Madden or 2K, teams in Gameday basically only had their then-current uniforms and one throwback set...and if the team in question had changed uniforms since going to a Super Bowl, there's usually a good chance said uniform won't be available to the current team.  Anyways, now giving you Discrim's Incomplete List of Gameday 04 Inaccuracies That You'll Promptly Forget About :P

90s Bills: the road whites are paired with blue pants instead of the actual white pair

85 Patriots: the home white pants' striping is blue-red-blue, when it should be red-blue-red

96 Patriots: block numbers instead of their italic digits, and wrong socks (white with red-blue-red striping, should be blue with a thin red stripe)

Eagles throwbacks (Randall Cunningham era): the eagles are missing from the sleeves

Redskins throwbacks: based on the 70th anniversary uniform, complete with a white version that has never existed

Falcons throwback: based on the red-silver era, but the falcons are missing from the sleeves

and from a few other games...not sure if it was this way in earlier Blitz games, as I don't play as or against the Chiefs often, but the arrowhead on the left side of the Chiefs' helmets pointed the wrong way in Blitz 2003, and probably Blitz Pro too.

Another oldie from Madden: the late 80s Saints home unis had white numbers w/black and gold outline IRL, but had gold numbers with a black and white outline in several Maddens.

• Like 2

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 4 months later...

Found this when I played as the lions in the new Madden NFL mobile

IMG_1648.thumb.PNG.a86f704bd6e62f6dc4706a4e53fead9c.PNG

IMG_1649.thumb.PNG.33cf7346665e538e08612b196864f53b.PNGHead to toe blue, and honestly, I like it. Looks a little panthers color rush-y, but maybe the lions should take it into condsideration (also: they still are using the black-outlined lions logo)

• Like 3

I'm more concerned with the swimming pool end zone.

• Like 9

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• 3 weeks later...

I was playing Madden NFL 2000 for the PS1 last night when I discovered an inaccuracy, and so I decided to take some screenshots of it and a couple of others.
-The Tennessee Titans, 1999 being their first ever season under that name, were just given a generic block font for their then-brand new uniforms:
8DLvHas.png

-The Philadelphia Eagles' home jersey's front & back numbers have their colours reversed!
zsxZ1K0.png
Unlike the Titans example there's no real excuse for this, the Eagles have worn that uniform since 1996!

-And lastly, a lot of historic teams just have the same generic, too-bold number font; case in point, compare Marcus Allen "RB No. 32" from the 1990 Raiders...
527wN8C.png
...with Zack Crockett of the then-modern Raiders:
4fOyRhd.png

(One example I can't get a screenshot of is the too-old-to-run-on-modern-systems PC version, where every team shared the same generic block font, even teams that use custom fonts IRL like the Broncos!)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 3/17/2017 at 11:01 PM, mcj882000 said:

Before the Atlanta Thrashers hit the ice in 1999-2000 they only revealed their home jersey, leaving EA Sports to have to make up a fake one for NHL 2000:
tv1hQxI.png

I bring this up again because I think I've stumbled upon something interesting about this uniform. Consider this: for the 1999-00 season there were five different NHL games on the market: EA's NHL 2000, Sony/989's NHL Faceoff 2000, Fox Interactive's NHL Championship 2000, Konami's NHL Blades of Steel 2000, and Sega's NHL 2K. EA & Sony's offerings came out before the season started (with Faceoff hitting stores on an incredibly early August 31), Fox's released right as the season was beginning, and Konami & Sega's games came out in early-2000 when the season was already half-over.

I bring this up because as I've discovered, the other two games that released on or ahead of time, Faceoff and Championship, have more-or-less the exact same away jersey for the Thrashers as NHL 2000 did, with minor differences like number fonts and sock designs. 
Faceoff: 
6vCmumk.png
Championship: 
mX44njI.png
(Not the best photos so I apologise, these old games' replay systems are a bit janky. :P

So what to make of this? Either: 
-3 competing game studios didn't know what the jersey was going to look like, and they all made the exact same wrong guess, essentially; or my new theory: 
-This was actually planned to be the Thrashers' away jersey, and it was shelved before the season started but after the games were finalised.

• Like 2

No screenshot, but MLB The Show 19 continues to use the wrong caps for the 1998 Devil Rays. The entire time that Tampa Bay wore the gradient uniform, they always wore the cap with the TB and the fish.

spacer.png

But for years, the game has used the fish-only caps that were unveiled at the uniform announcement a few years before the team began play, but were never actually worn on-field in the 90s or 2000.

spacer.png

For what it's worth, the Rays organization themselves seem to have trouble with this, as the team wore the fish-only caps during their first Devil Rays throwback game in 2009.

spacer.png

And since then, they've used that cap as the basis for their fauxback home Sunday cap (which is gorgeous enough to forgive).

spacer.png

• Like 2
3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 4:43 PM, Matito said:

No screenshot, but MLB The Show 19 continues to use the wrong caps for the 1998 Devil Rays.

Even assuming they aren't style-guide restricted, this makes a tiny bit of sense for two reasons:

1. The modern Rays use this cap when throwing back to 1998.
  2. The legitimate cap is also selectable in-game.
  • Like 2