Inaccurate colors/uniforms in video games that should know better

On 2/18/2017 at 7:34 AM, ChicagoOakland said:

The error that has bugged me for YEARS is NBA 2K's botching of the 90's Golden State Warriors uniforms. The number font is hilariously wrong and they refuse to fix it. It's not even close to what they wore. Amazingly, this is a screengrab from 2K17.

Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 7.29.06 AM.pngMarciulionis_LayUp2.jpg?itok=r8lVBOKV

Man, what are you playing 2k17 on? That looks like its from a Gamecube or something...

• Like 5

AwvgSX4.png

1 hour ago, ImmortalChef said:

Man, what are you playing 2k17 on? That looks like its from a Gamecube or something...

Actually, I screengrabbed it from a YouTube video haha. I do have 2k17 myself, but since I don't know how to screengrab from a TV I did the next best thing.

• Like 1

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

On 2/18/2017 at 9:05 AM, C's said:

Of the past five 2Ks the only ones I've played are 2K13 and 2K16, and 2K13 definitely did not have these errors. Not on the 360 version at least.

My guess is that it was screwed up when the PS4/Xbone released, because they had to redo a bunch of textures for the new consoles.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2017 at 4:23 AM, Bucfan56 said:

Actually, I don't find that one to be strange. If memory serves, when the set was first announced, they were planning on wearing the navy caps and socks with the home set, and the red caps and socks with the road set. Somewhere along the line though, that was swapped, and I think it took place relatively late in the process, too. 

Very interesting. Didn't know. Thanks!

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

For those of you who play MLB The Show you'll be happy to know that in the last few weeks they've gone a heavy duty binge of correcting uniform inaccuracies in that game. Most of the changes have come directly from fan feedback as well so you know the changes will be worthwhile and significant. Keep an eye out for the game March 28th. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

For those of you who play MLB The Show you'll be happy to know that in the last few weeks they've gone a heavy duty binge of correcting uniform inaccuracies in that game. Most of the changes have come directly from fan feedback as well so you know the changes will be worthwhile and significant. Keep an eye out for the game March 28th. 

I'm just glad that they did heavy work on the uniform select screen; I think there is a new video coming out this week about uniform stuff.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

9 hours ago, BShaw20 said:

MLB The Show preview shows Ken Jr with the JROB. Did he even have one, ever? I highly doubt that.

If I'm not mistaken they said this was a decision made for advertising of the game and it will not actually be in the game itself. Still odd to think it was needed in the ads but if I'm not wrong in remembering this then don't worry it will be accurate in the game  

• 4 weeks later...

From the days when game devs weren't given new uniforms before the games came out, here's 3 examples of "Inaccurate Colours/Uniforms In Video Games That Didn't Know Better":

-Probably the most well known one; Before the Atlanta Thrashers hit the ice in 1999-2000 they only revealed their home jersey, leaving EA Sports to have to make up a fake one for NHL 2000:
tv1hQxI.png

-The one that inspired this post: I picked up NHL Faceoff '97 for PS1 at a flea market today and came across this. It seems Sony wasn't made aware of the then-newly relocated Phoenix Coyotes' new uniforms, leaving them to have to make up their own:
NrSwJO1.png
They more-or-less used the same template the Coyotes would wind up using, just with the Phoenix Suns' colours...? Oh, except for the green numbers on the home jersey.

-And probably the ultimate case, that time EA left out an entire team... sort of. The Colorado Avalanche came into existence before the 1995-96 NHL season, but for one reason or another - maybe because the team unveiled their identity late (the fact that the team had to unveil and then shelve the Rocky Mountain Extreme name could support that) or that the game's season mode was stuck using the full (unused!) 1994-95 schedule - EA Sports released NHL 96 still featuring the Quebec Nordiques instead of the Avalanche:
Z1C5hev.png
Leading to "uniform matchups that never happened" such as this one.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

-Probably the most well known one; Before the Atlanta Thrashers hit the ice in 1999-2000 they only revealed their home jersey, leaving EA Sports to have to make up a fake one for NHL 2000:
tv1hQxI.png

It looks better than the actual away uniform.

XM4KeeA.png

I don't know if there is some limitation to the way they place the numbers in unique setups like this, or if there just aren't enough Suns fans to complain and give them reason to change it, but 2K has made the Suns' front numbers way too small every year (I believe) since the new jerseys came out.

And aside from the number just being way too small compared to the rest of the design, the full front design is just too small and looks very dull compared to the real thing.

sRYsImG.png

1uoTt2e.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Wasn't it that they didn't allow Tecmo Bowl to use their names?

Correct.

Sorta like Barry Bonds and LaVar Arrington in the next generation of videogames.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2017 at 1:01 AM, mcj882000 said:

From the days when game devs weren't given new uniforms before the games came out, here's 3 examples of "Inaccurate Colours/Uniforms In Video Games That Didn't Know Better":

Don't forget Madden NFL 2002, making up jerseys (and a white helmet) for the expansion Houston Texans.

8166468_orig.png

• Like 4
3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg