Inaccurate colors/uniforms in video games that should know better

16 hours ago, bwburke94 said:

Even assuming they aren't style-guide restricted, this makes a tiny bit of sense for two reasons:

1. The modern Rays use this cap when throwing back to 1998.
  2. The legitimate cap is also selectable in-game.

Correct, this is on purpose.

Since the game has both the 1998 and 1999 uniforms, the "correct" 1998 uniforms are there as 1999. So instead of having the same uniform twice (as the 98 and 99 uniforms are identical) it gives players two options, the correct one and the never used original concept (which is based off of the unveiling pic that is shown in the prior post). The 98 selection also uses purple undershirts and socks to be different from the 99 (and more accurate) black undershirts and socks.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/17/2017 at 11:01 PM, mcj882000 said:

The Colorado Avalanche came into existence before the 1995-96 NHL season, but...  because the team unveiled their identity late... EA Sports released NHL 96 still featuring the Quebec Nordiques instead of the Avalanche

I quote this because I've found another case of this happening: the PlayStation 2 version of NBA 2K9 still features the Seattle SuperSonics, 2 months after their messy & controversial move to Oklahoma City. 
OX70o5o.png
XKFfu64.png
(Just take that in... :P)
Of course, having said that... 
eDXgJVF.png
As far as I can tell this is the only place where the PS2 version acknowledges the move: as a URL on a fake decorative web browser in the game's Association mode. I wonder why they even bothered at that point, to be honest.

The 360 & PS3 versions, however, do accurately feature the Thunder, since those builds of the game were finalised almost a month after the PS2 port was - July 14 for the PS2 version, compared to August 8 for the 360/PS3 one; also the ability to patch logos, unis, etc. onto those consoles after release compared to the PS2's online capabilities, such as they were. :P

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

NBA 2k9 PS2/Original XboX still had the Seattle Sonics while 2k9 on PS3/Xbox 360 had the Oklahoma City Thunder. NBA Live 09 had the Thunder as generic Oklahoma City in those awful late 2000's summer league uniforms. After an update, they finally added the Thunder logo, colors, and the Ford Center

I can't remember if it was MLB 2000 on Playstation or Ken Griffey Slugfest (from the 1999 season) but they had the default away uniforms for the Kansas City Royals had Blue tops with gray caps from the 1995 season. Kansas City discontinued those after 95 but they were still in the style guide till at least 99 I believe.

While still one of my favorite baseball games, Ken Griffey Jr presents MLB didn't have the Cincinnati Reds in their White cap from 1993-1998 instead they have a red one. Also the outfield wall in Riverfront is blue in the game when it should have been green.

I remember reading that Madden 98 for SNES/Sega was just a copy and paste and had new logos for Tampa and Denver but both teams wear Creamsicle and Orange Crush respectively.

1 hour ago, ThunderCeltic said:

I remember reading that Madden 98 for SNES/Sega was just a copy and paste and had new logos for Tampa and Denver but both teams wear Creamsicle and Orange Crush respectively.

This is partially correct. They did update the palettes and logos for the Buccaneers and the Broncos, however, the game also uses the same palettes and logos for the classic teams. So the '79 Buccaneers for example wear red jerseys instead of the creamsicles. (At least for the Genesis version.)

• Like 1

Also on MLB 19 The Show there are several errors on Throwback Uniforms:

1977 Blue Jays Away Uniform almost looks white when it should be Powder Blue.

1984 Tigers 1984 Away Batting Helmets should have an Orange English "D" instead of a white one.

1980 Royals Home/Away Uniforms are missing names on the back of their uniforms.

1993 Mariners Away Uniform has a Teal Bill Cap which should be solid Navy.

1993 Marlins Teal Vests Uniforms have Black batting helmets when they should be Teal.

1978 Phillies are missing names on the back of their uniforms.

1984 Cubs Home Uniform has red lettering/numbers when they should be blue.

1993 Brewers almost look Navy when they should be Royal Blue

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ThunderCeltic said:

Also on MLB 19 The Show there are several errors on Throwback Uniforms:

1977 Blue Jays Away Uniform almost looks white when it should be Powder Blue.

1984 Tigers 1984 Away Batting Helmets should have an Orange English "D" instead of a white one.

1980 Royals Home/Away Uniforms are missing names on the back of their uniforms.

1993 Mariners Away Uniform has a Teal Bill Cap which should be solid Navy.

1993 Marlins Teal Vests Uniforms have Black batting helmets when they should be Teal.

1978 Phillies are missing names on the back of their uniforms.

1984 Cubs Home Uniform has red lettering/numbers when they should be blue.

1993 Brewers almost look Navy when they should be Royal Blue

MLB the Show has reached a point where its aesthetic issues are just unacceptable laziness. Not a uniform issue (I've already talked about those pretty extensively), but I was playing as the Astros in franchise. In a game against the Yankees, the announcers talked about how this was a potential World Series preview. That means they're using audio clips from 2013 at the most recent.

• Like 3

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

1 hour ago, Lafarge said:

MLB the Show has reached a point where its aesthetic issues are just unacceptable laziness. Not a uniform issue (I've already talked about those pretty extensively), but I was playing as the Astros in franchise. In a game against the Yankees, the announcers talked about how this was a potential World Series preview. That means they're using audio clips from 2013 at the most recent.

If it ain’t Diamond Dynasty, MLB The Show doesn’t care. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Lafarge said:

It’s even worse. The Show has been using audio clips from MLB 2006, before they rebranded into The Show. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

XM4KeeA.png

Also on MLB the Show 19:

1992 Blue Jays away batting helmet has a white panel when it should be solid blue!! If they said 1989 or 1990 away they would be accurate as the Blue Jays away uniforms in 89-90 had a white panel on the batting helmet! More laziness from SCEA!

Also previous versions of MLB The Show had names on the back of the uniforms for the Throwback Royals/Phillies but in 20 the names are removed WTF!

Previous versions of MLB The Show had the proper batting helmets for the 1984 AWAY Detroit Tigers with an Orange English "D". In MLB 19 the Show the 84 Tigers AWAY batting helmet has a white English "D" WTF. Dave Coulier (Joey from Full House, a Detroit native and life long Tigers fan was pissed).

Also MLB 20 needs to add more Throwback "Alternates" since the 79 Pirates are missing the Black Top/Yellow Trousers/Yellow Pill Box cap so Pirates fans can do a full mix n match in Dynasty mode with the 79 Pirates uniforms.

Also MLB 20 needs to add the 1993-2002 Florida Marlins Teal Spring Training/Batting Practice Top. It hasn't been in since MLB The Show 10.

SCEA needs to add the proper 1982 Brewers Home and Away uniforms and get rid of those ugly 1970 sets. Plus SCEA needs to eliminate the fake 1989 Cleveland Indians set with the 1980 Home/Away/Alternate as they butchered the 1989 "Major League" set by removing Chief Wahoo from the uniforms and caps and replaced it with the 1979-1985 cap. #SCREWSCEA

On 9/7/2019 at 1:37 AM, ieatstaples said:

NHL 2k8, the script on the NYR away jersey is wrong:

aiUXHdI.png

76074373kc018_new_york_rang154239-415x41

Hmm....looking at that now, I'm curious as to how that video-game render would translate to an updated Rangers sweater. The red RANGERS looks strikingly good against that background. Wonder how it'd look with red numbers...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

42 minutes ago, ieatstaples said:
On 9/14/2019 at 1:28 PM, clonewars2008 said:

That Sens one is also inaccurate. 

Hot damn, you're right. The logo is supposed to have the Ottawa Senators script instead of the laurels. 

The numbers aren't within the sleeve stripes either. Such a simple jersey and yet they couldn't get two of the more unique elements right!

• 4 weeks later...

Just downloaded MLB 19 because it was free on PS+ and noticed they got the Mets 1985 uniforms wrong. The same applies for the 85 away uniform. 

spacer.png

This could’ve passed for their 1991 uniforms since those where button downs but they kept the blue collar. Now it’s just a mixup of a set that didn’t exist. 

XM4KeeA.png