Inaccurate colors/uniforms in video games that should know better

ESPN Baseball Tonight was released in 1994 for the SNES/Sega/Sega CD. The game is obviously based on the 1994 season but has Houston/Texas/Milwaukee in their 1993 Cap logo insignia during the team selection. The Sega CD (which was more polished) has Houston/Texas/Milwaukee in their proper 1994 Cap logo insignia during team selection.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2015 at 12:15 AM, pepis21 said:

In NBA Live 2000 black parts of Raptors away had pinstripes:

nbalive2000_carter_dunk.png

Home version had them too:

Tmac.jpg

Since NBA Showtime (on home) and NBA 2K (on away) also got pinstripes I wonder if this is how those uniforms supposed to look before they went with cleaner look. It wouldn't be their first time to did that, because as we know original Raptors jeresys had a lil bit different wordmark (compare to the final version) which appears on early Champion european replica.

8876087741537915394.jpg

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

For some reason, over the last few years of NBA 2K, the devs got it in their heads that the Portland Trail Blazers wore a red away jersey from 1979 all the way up until 1991:
xaHIRv6.png
In past titles this wasn't such a big deal, since the black jersey they actually wore from 1986-1991 was still in the game to be freely selected... 
CffaheE.png
But since 2K23's MyNBA lets you start as early as 1983, and players' jersey selections are limited to whatever is listed as being worn in a given year, errors like this in their database become a bit of an issue. Speaking of... 

IRL the New Jersey Nets changed from their iconic ABA jerseys in 1981 to a simpler, more traditional uniform, but changed back in 1983 after fan backlash, keeping a slightly-modified version of the ABA look all the way until 1990. In 2K, not only did they get the years wrong, listing the changes as happening in 1982 and 1984 respectively, but due to the way the ABA jerseys are listed in-game, said to be worn uninterrupted from 1977-1990, the change back doesn't happen at all: 
HfpZcXN.png
L04aEgN.png
They'll instead just keep the "blue script" jerseys all the way up to 1990. 
image?url=MSVnmBUo_fHjbLYMjAEUQ9fpQks21c

Oh, and the other big omission I noticed: despite some vague assurances in the lead-up to the game's launch, I'm up to the 1989 playoffs in my file and so far none of the All-Star Games have used period-accurate uniforms, instead putting everyone in the 2022 jerseys. 
A Screenshot

• Like 2

On 10/11/2022 at 11:40 AM, mcj882000 said:

For some reason, over the last few years of NBA 2K, the devs got it in their heads that the Portland Trail Blazers wore a red away jersey from 1979 all the way up until 1991:
xaHIRv6.png
In past titles this wasn't such a big deal, since the black jersey they actually wore from 1986-1991 was still in the game to be freely selected... 
CffaheE.png
But since 2K23's MyNBA lets you start as early as 1983, and players' jersey selections are limited to whatever is listed as being worn in a given year, errors like this in their database become a bit of an issue. Speaking of... 

IRL the New Jersey Nets changed from their iconic ABA jerseys in 1981 to a simpler, more traditional uniform, but changed back in 1983 after fan backlash, keeping a slightly-modified version of the ABA look all the way until 1990. In 2K, not only did they get the years wrong, listing the changes as happening in 1982 and 1984 respectively, but due to the way the ABA jerseys are listed in-game, said to be worn uninterrupted from 1977-1990, the change back doesn't happen at all: 
HfpZcXN.png
L04aEgN.png

Oh, and the other big omission I noticed: despite some vague assurances in the lead-up to the game's launch, I'm up to the 1989 playoffs in my file and so far none of the All-Star Games have used period-accurate uniforms, instead putting everyone in the 2022 jerseys. 
A Screenshot

There's way more issues the further into the years you go. I just got to 2008 in the game and the Timberwolves switched to their updated wolf head and jerseys but the court does not match but I can sort of deal with that however what's really bad is the 1995 Rockets playing on their 1994 court.

I'll give 2K credit though because MyNBA Eras is an incredible mode and I didn't think they would be able to nail it all in one shot because we're talking about 4 decades of NBA history to cover and that's an incredible amount and it's impressive they even got as much as they did. 

• Like 3

bSLCtu2.png

On 10/13/2022 at 7:01 AM, Old School Fool said:

what's really bad is the 1995 Rockets playing on their 1994 court.

I just got to 1995 and it's actually dumber even than this: Before you get to 1995 the Rockets play on a generic version of their real-life court of that era, sans "The Summit" arena name, which has been in the game since the 94-95 Rockets were added to 2K12:
P0y7KXT.png
Once you get to 95-96 and the Rockets change uniforms to the Space-Age Pajamas, the court does indeed change... but to the authentic court of the old red/gold/white era, actual arena name and all:
y4EnWzf.png
I actually love when this happens, when game devs put in extra effort to get things wrong. It's incredible.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

3 hours ago, mcj882000 said:

I just got to 1995 and it's actually dumber even than this: Before you get to 1995 the Rockets play on a generic version of their real-life court of that era, sans "The Summit" arena name, which has been in the game since the 94-95 Rockets were added to 2K12:
P0y7KXT.png
Once you get to 95-96 and the Rockets change uniforms to the Space-Age Pajamas, the court does indeed change... but to the authentic court of the old red/gold/white era, actual arena name and all:
y4EnWzf.png
I actually love when this happens, when game devs put in extra effort to get things wrong. It's incredible.

The Richfield Coliseum has the same issue for the Cavaliers too. Also the Sonics permanently play at the Kingdome until 1995 and I heard someone point out the issue with that being that Jordan played in Seattle in 1991 and that game was moved to the Kingdome, so it stands to reason 2K just went off of that.

• Like 1

bSLCtu2.png

On 10/11/2022 at 2:40 PM, mcj882000 said:

xaHIRv6.png
CffaheE.png

HfpZcXN.png
L04aEgN.png

A Screenshot

The magic start wearing their current black uniforms w the nike branding in 2008 in the game instead of the blue jerseys until 2020.

3 minutes ago, IceInMyVeins said:

The magic start wearing their current black uniforms w the nike branding in 2008 in the game instead of the blue jerseys until 2020.

2K only goes off of what's in their (outdated) system. Since the 2018 Nike jerseys looked the same as the 2008 jerseys, 2K never added the 2008 ones into the game. Then in 2020 the road jersey became black, so 2K changes that, but never re-adds the 2008 blue jerseys back into the game.

1 minute ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

2K only goes off of what's in their (outdated) system. Since the 2018 Nike jerseys looked the same as the 2008 jerseys, 2K never added the 2008 ones into the game. Then in 2020 the road jersey became black, so 2K changes that, but never re-adds the 2008 blue jerseys back into the game.

that kinda makes sense but its still frustrating because its missing about 12 years worth of uniform history.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you're playing FIFA 23 and have the World Cup DLC you'll be amazed at just how lazy EA has become. Brazil wear Argentina kits in the World Cup Mode. EA has not only become lazy with Madden (not adding many white throwback away jerseys) but they've got worse with FIFA. If it's not FUT (or MUT in Madden) they don't care.

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, ThunderCeltic said:

If you're playing FIFA 23 and have the World Cup DLC you'll be amazed at just how lazy EA has become. Brazil wear Argentina kits in the World Cup Mode. EA has not only become lazy with Madden (not adding many white throwback away jerseys) but they've got worse with FIFA. If it's not FUT (or MUT in Madden) they don't care.

You can tell they mailed it in since they won't have the FIFA name next year. It should be interesting to see what leagues all buy in. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 11/15/2022 at 10:21 AM, ThunderCeltic said:

If you're playing FIFA 23 and have the World Cup DLC you'll be amazed at just how lazy EA has become. Brazil wear Argentina kits in the World Cup Mode.

🤦🏾‍♂️

I'm not exactly in a rush to buy a new console, largely because of how poor of a job EA seems to do with Madden nowadays.  It's like they don't care if the games they release are any good, or even function properly, as long as the microtransactions keep basically printing money for them.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

On 11/17/2022 at 12:07 AM, Discrim said:

🤦🏾‍♂️

I'm not exactly in a rush to buy a new console, largely because of how poor of a job EA seems to do with Madden nowadays.  It's like they don't care if the games they release are any good, or even function properly, as long as the microtransactions keep basically printing money for them.

SDS is now that way with the show. Similar to Madden they won't add missing throwback away or throwback alternates or fix gameplay issues. If it's not MUT/FUT (EA) or DD (The Show) then they don't care.

• Hate 1

On 10/11/2022 at 2:40 PM, mcj882000 said:

HfpZcXN.png
L04aEgN.png

I understand this one - it saves a jersey slot despite having the wrong years (though you're right it should be '81 and '83). 

I started a 90s Era with the Suns, and in 91-92 they have a semi-realistic Veterans' Coliseum floor (center court logo is spot on, which is cool), but the court doesn't change for the Suns' iconic change in 92-93. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 1 month later...

Just bought NHL 23 on sale, and in the team select screen, Edmonton’s RR 2.0 choice has royal blue helmets and gloves with the navy jersey and breezers. 

The Ducks have all sorts of tiny issues (varying crest heights of current alternate and RR, plus 90s jerseys have crests and shoulder patches that are way too big). 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.