Inaccurate colors/uniforms in video games that should know better

The two that first came into mind:

Bears orange pants in Madden 13:

Bears%20orange%20pants_zpsbv8a3laz.jpg

I dont necessarily blame EA on that one, the NFL had the orange pants in the style guide, so they were just following that.

EA set them as the primary for some reason though.

They currently have them as the primary on Madden Mobile too

image_zpscuivy0wi.jpg

• Like 1

Can't get any screen shots, but NHL 2K5 leaves the "current" (2004) Font on any throwback uniforms. I.e. The Sharks currents at the time were the blue and silver shoulder fill ins, but when you did the original throw backs, you got the font on sweater. It was the same with the Kings. (Gretzky era throwbacks with current font, looked a lot like today's uniforms)

Every NHL uniform was also pretty historically accurate, you could even be the Oakland Seals, who moved to CLE, merged with MIN, and moved to DAL. But you can't play as the Whalers. They don't even exist in the game. You can't play as the St. Louis Eagles, but you can buy the logo to put on a custom fantasy team, but not the Whalers. You can play as the huge hockey communities of France and Kazakstan, but not the Whalers. (Catching on?)

I remember when EA ported NHL '94 to the PS2 via NHL 06, the Whalers had to be rebranded as the "Hartford Canes":

fE4EnlD.jpg

Apparently it was due to a trademark dispute, or so the story goes; it wasn't until NHL 11 that proper Whalers stuff started showing up in games again, save a single appearance of the navy away jersey in NHL 2001.

Speaking of EA's NHL games, they had the wrong numbers on the Flames' white jersey for pretty much the whole PS2 era:

MKAZSMa.jpg

Can't get any screen shots, but NHL 2K5 leaves the "current" (2004) Font on any throwback uniforms. I.e. The Sharks currents at the time were the blue and silver shoulder fill ins, but when you did the original throw backs, you got the font on sweater. It was the same with the Kings. (Gretzky era throwbacks with current font, looked a lot like today's uniforms)

Every NHL uniform was also pretty historically accurate, you could even be the Oakland Seals, who moved to CLE, merged with MIN, and moved to DAL. But you can't play as the Whalers. They don't even exist in the game. You can't play as the St. Louis Eagles, but you can buy the logo to put on a custom fantasy team, but not the Whalers. You can play as the huge hockey communities of France and Kazakstan, but not the Whalers. (Catching on?)

The font thing was changed, but I remember older NHL 2K games having the same jersey selections with a few tweaks.

I think it was 2K9 that had the biggest jersey library.

• Like 1

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

I think it was 2K9 that had the biggest jersey library.

If it didn't I'd be very surprised. Heck, all of those old 2K games had huge jersey selections, it was great. I remember being so disappointed when 2K10 took almost all of them out for some inexplicable reason (they added a single set, the Whalers 93-97 jerseys, and kept about a dozen other sets, so there's that I guess).

Yeah in Madden 13, I pretty much had to be the Bears so I could use the navy pants instead of the orange.

In the NBA 2k's for the original Xbox and for 360, they completely screwed up the Raptors original unis. Instead of the jagged pinstripes and the dribbling raptor in front, it was basically the Magic pinstripes with the Raptors lettering from the 2000's.

Black (and silver) are the secondary colors

If I recall correctly, don't they have a helmet that's red-white-and-blue? Is that just a secondary thing? I thought blue was their accent color for football.

Any red-white-and-blue they use is patriotic only. The blue is not part of the normal scheme.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

99/00 Raptors in 2k16 have RAPTORS on the away instead of TORONTO (they changed the away jersey to say RAPTORS in 2004)

They hyped up that Raptors team with VC and TMac for 2k16. In the roster/team selection screen they even use actual pictures with Vince and TORONTO on his chest.

The red Raptors jerseys in old 2k games were kinda pink-ish.

95 Raptors jerseys in this year's 2k is missing the claw nameplate thing

NBA Showtime had pinstriped 2000 Raptors jerseys

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2

A bunch of other mistakes I found in NBA 2K16:
The 2002-03 Mavericks have the modern, light blue away jersey; they didn't wear that until 2010.
jmU8m22.jpg

-The 1988-89 Pistons have "DETROIT" on their roads; near as I can tell they didn't do that at all until 2001, and the set the modern Pistons have from that era has "PISTONS" on both, meaning they put extra effort in to get it wrong:
MRsCuSX.jpg

-Errors like this one really tick me off; on the right, you see the 1986-87 Lakers "Showtime" era road uniform, which is actually correct. On the left, you see the version the modern Lakers have to use. I really don't understand how they got that number font wrong, it's already in the game!
x3Nxm00.jpg

Last one, probably the weirdest error too: the 1985-86 Chicago Bulls away jersey, featuring white numbers with a black outline, something the team hasn't used since 1973:
RsBpVRE.jpg

Here's the kicker: it's only like that on the team-select screen. When you take them into an actual game...
I1h4Diu.jpg
...The jersey looks as it should.

• Like 6

Dallas Stars number font is slightly incorrect in NHL '16

So is the cut o the jersey. They use rounded yokes in the game, and not the sharper "western" style they do in real life. Both inaccuracies bug me, because I'm a nerd.

Dallas Stars number font is slightly incorrect in NHL '16

So is the cut o the jersey. They use rounded yokes in the game, and not the sharper "western" style they do in real life. Both inaccuracies bug me, because I'm a nerd.

It's okay, this is a safe place for people like us.

• Like 5