Logolympiad feedback: Predators Fauxback

suplauren

Hi Everyone,

A few other people have been asking for feedback on their Logolympiad entries. I only wanted feedback on this one:

XmuZWwU.png

I worked a long time on this, and I'm still proud of it, but it didn't do too well when it came to voting. I was curious about what other people thought of it. As a reminder, it was supposed to be a fauxback of what a newer NHL expansion team would have looked like if they had joined the league in 1967.

I have very little uniform experience, but I want to know more! Please give me as much specific feedback as possible.

Edit:

Oh, this was also my first draft. I decided to rework it because I wanted something a bit more exciting. Plus, the St. Louis Blues joined the NHL in 67, and they had a predominantly blue jersey with yellow accents.

oFspsXa.png

The yellow is definitely better than the navy. The logo doesn't work well with an outline, and the navy logo disappears on the navy sweater. The arm stripes don't look like they are from the 1960s. I would take what you have on the main part of the sweater and repeat it on the sleeves.

(In addition, the NHL didn't put names on the back of the jersey until later, so to make a 1967 concept, you should remove the name.)

award%20sig.png

For me, it just looked a bit too modern to really fit in the challenge. The tapering arm stripes are not something you see very often in 1967 expansion-era uniforms, nor are the tapering shoulder yokes. I do like the yellow version better than the blue, but even then the logo could have used a white outline on the yellow jersey to really set it off.

There's also something about where the sabre tooth meets the lower jaw in the logo. I know this isn't helpful, but it just seems ... off. I'm not sure what to do to fix it, though.

I like this set, but will there be a white? Or is the blue the away?

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

When I was voting on this event, I eliminated this one because I felt it was still too modern, specifically with the sleeve striping.

I also had trouble picturing a team in 1967 using a sabertooth tiger as a logo for a team called the Predators. So I think that a wordmark might've worked better

The sabre-tooth (smilodon) remains that inspired the current logo weren't found until 1971, during excavation for a Nashville bank tower. It does also seem unlikely that they would even have chosen Predators as a team name back in 1967, but that wasn't part of the assignment. I'm not sure what animal they would have chosen as a Predator instead, but I think it would most likely have been a cougar. Wolves still had a bad reputation, back then.

The striping in the yellow is not what would have been used in 1967, and the white numbers don't contrast well enough on the yellow.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

I think most of this feedback really speaks to my tastes in design. I think this probably looks more like a team that came out of the late 70s... because I like the late 70s! My main references when making the logo were these other logos:

Page-logo-vertical_250.jpgqh7l8fk5f69co851bryybng0r.gif

Which, looking back, were both actually from the 70s.

For the jersey, I used this really great infographic. My main inspiration was the Flyers. I liked the nontraditional yoke and sleeve striping. I chose to do a pointed yoke and the pointed sleeve striping, because it would be similar to a sabertooth's fangs. But thinking about it now, it is definitely too much. Especially with a bright yellow jersey.

I didn't know about the NOB issue. When I was researching fonts, I googled for the backs of jerseys from 1967, and I saw some that had names. I guess those were from later years but came up on google anyway.

I'll try an update that is more accurate to 1967 design, and maybe one that is a better version for the 70s!

Archived