Whittier's Logolympiad 2015 Submssions (Event 3 added)

Whittier S

Version A works better but it still needs work. IMO the stroke around the state of Florida is not working. Try the light blue color only or maybe the green color only and nix the stroke on the white jersey. Just my thoughts for what they're worth.

I had to play around some with the colorway, but wow! Great advice!

event2_Whittier%20S%20Full%20A_zpsfjpori

rATMcmK.png

I guess I'd always been afraid of making Florida solid blue because it looks kind of like a lake to me, and I couldn't figure out other colorways to make the logo work on both a home and an away. Guess I should have experimented more, but such is the tight time span of Logolympiad.

Do y'all think there should be any gold in the uniforms beyond the logo?

rATMcmK.png

Moving on to Event 3.

I'm not really looking for feedback on this one. It was my second-highest vote-getter and I put a lot of work into it. I'll tell you this--anyone who thinks that a wordmark is simply typing words should hear what went into this. I didn't just type the word "GLADIATORS". First off, I spent a good long time looking for the right font, downloading and trying them out before I found one I was perfectly happy with. Then I crafted that A out of an inverted V and a circle, to look more like the titles in old-time gladiator movies. This left me with four blocks of characters to work with. Then I kerned them heavily--the letters in the original typeface jump around the baseline, so I had to push them up and down to sit evenly. Then I discovered that two of the letters were oversized for what I was doing, so I dropped those down by two points.

So, here's the original:
event3_Whittier%20S_zpsxcze5x0b.png

I played around with a few names before I realized that "Gladiators" could simultaneously honor the old LA Coliseum and the Golden Age of Hollywood. And it looks like three other competitors thought the same thing! The main principle that guided my process was that, unique to football, a wordmark has to look good in an endzone.

I made one error though. When I saw Palette 3, I thought there was only one direction to go for a Roman-themed concept. The problem, of course, is that the palette is awfully close to that of the Niners at the other end of the state. So here's a version using some of the colors from Palette 1:

Wordmark%20Gladiators%202_zpsxlbik943.pn

Anyway, I'm not looking so much for C&C for this one, but if you have any, I'll take it.

rATMcmK.png

I thought you did a great job with this. The only things I could suggest woukd be to make the leaf motif on either side of Los Angeles, slightly smaller. You could also think about closing the space between Los Angeles and Gladiators. But overall, it was very successful at looking like something an NFL franchise would use. Nice job!

spacer.png

I didn't consider that, when put against the ivory, that the deep blue would look black. So, in essence, this concept wouldn't exist in real life because of the conflict with the 49ers identity. That said, which color scheme do people prefer?

rATMcmK.png

Archived