2016 MLS Jerseys

labc93

I think I prefer the white sleeves in this case. The claret shirt with blue sleeves is pretty overdone in world football already.

Moving the adidas stripes to the side of the shirt really aids this style of shirt though (which may be why we're seeing it so often with this year's new crop of MLS kits--NYRB, Orlando, Seattle)

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really do think the stripes on the sides of the shirt are one of the best things adidas has done lately. It allows for much more natural designs. Previously, the shoulder stripes forced awkward cutoffs and limited which styles were possible. Now, it's almost like a blank canvas. Adidas used to do some strange side-paneling, too...so the side stripes have brought some normalcy to that issue.

RSL's Twitter account mentioned that they would be wearing the cobalt shorts today in their home opener against Seattle, which would look like what is pictured here:

image.jpeg.4fcbe7af07977e4027bddb0ec98a6

However, that was apparently incorrect, as they are wearing head-to-toe claret once again. Very disappointing.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I can't recall ever seeing LA Galaxy wear their away navy shorts with the usual white jersey, as they did on Saturday at Colorado. Of course Colorado wears white shorts, but MLS usually doesn't seem to mind when both teams wear the same color shorts. 

Screen Shot 2016-03-14 at 10.48.17 AM.png

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Maybe it was just my TV but the blue of the Earthquakes and the green of the Timbers was tough at times to tell apart yesterday. Thankfully the Timbers at least had white shorts. I wonder if it's a Timbers thing though since last year they tried to wear dark green vs the Sounders in black. Sounders had to change uniforms at halftime.  In the future I'd hope the Timbers would just wear their red alts.

usa-today-9183409.0.jpg

32 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Maybe it was just my TV but the blue of the Earthquakes and the green of the Timbers was tough at times to tell apart yesterday. Thankfully the Timbers at least had white shorts. I wonder if it's a Timbers thing though since last year they tried to wear dark green vs the Sounders in black. Sounders had to change uniforms at halftime.  In the future I'd hope the Timbers would just wear their red alts.

usa-today-9183409.0.jpg

Considering their "red" alts have black sleeves and a black base, the contrast likely wouldn't have been any better. They would have had to have gone with red shorts and socks, which obviously would've provided some contrast, but not really any more than the white shorts of the primary kit.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The Portland alts do have a red back, which would have helped some probably. But the real answer would be requiring Portland to carry a light kit and/or letting them use a third kit (of course last year all three of theirs were quite dark). Seems odd to me that the LA shorts posed a problem this weekend but Portland's shirts didn't. Maybe that's why I'm no ref.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Sometimes things like that come down to the individual referees.  I play Sunday league and some refs get mad we all don't wear the same color socks but not that we all don't wear the same shirt, so long as the base color is the same or similar. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

32 minutes ago, Digby said:

The Portland alts do have a red back, which would have helped some probably. But the real answer would be requiring Portland to carry a light kit and/or letting them use a third kit (of course last year all three of theirs were quite dark). Seems odd to me that the LA shorts posed a problem this weekend but Portland's shirts didn't. Maybe that's why I'm no ref.

I think all teams should be required to have at least a light and dark kit. The Sounders, in fact, have 3: light (white), medium (rave green), and dark (pacific blue). In Portland's case I could even accept a 90% green kit and a 90% red kit as those colors are so different (except for those that are color blind). That's why I thought their red/white kit was great.

Watching DC United vs Colorado Rapids on ESPN2. I really think MLS should have made the jersey template change to all the jerseys in the league. Watching games when one team is wearing the new template vs a team wearing the old template just feels a little odd. With as big as a deal MLS & Adidas made of the new uniforms, you'd think they would have made that the universal look of the league.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

5 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Watching DC United vs Colorado Rapids on ESPN2. I really think MLS should have made the jersey template change to all the jerseys in the league. Watching games when one team is wearing the new template vs a team wearing the old template just feels a little odd. With as big as a deal MLS & Adidas made of the new uniforms, you'd think they would have made that the universal look of the league.

For me, it isnt too jarring. No different than watching an adidas and Nike team play each other in different leagues, or an adidas Puma.

EDIT

Also, I like this new star system. Eventually, the silver stars will disappear in favour of gold stars only once the league matures and the stars will be more significant. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

49 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

For me, it isnt too jarring. No different than watching an adidas and Nike team play each other in different leagues, or an adidas Puma.

It's a little different with MLS seeing how the entire league is under the same uniform manufacturer. 

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Seems a majority of people I've talked to here love the blue kits, but to me the team simply didn't look like the Sounders, wearing the blue instead of the green, at home on Saturday. It was also made worse by the fact that dark blue/light blue are Vancouver's colors.

SEAvVAN-3-19-16_MikeRussellFoto-3.0.0.jp

3 hours ago, hawk36 said:

Seems a majority of people I've talked to here love the blue kits, but to me the team simply didn't look like the Sounders, wearing the blue instead of the green, at home on Saturday. It was also made worse by the fact that dark blue/light blue are Vancouver's colors.

To be fair, the Sounders have experimented with blue in "their" past. The mothership shows them switching to predominantly blue & white in the 1980s, just a year after the Whitecaps switched to blue & white from a Canadian red & white. Check out these 1983 Sounders kits in particular:

zsr791dq3r8fm9n3dh2xsv8c1.gifwetzydzcl6nyyf9kpyz0c2iey.gifu4wpcglof1z13mmofh96y4phz.gif

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

1 hour ago, seattlesonicsofsacramento said:

To be fair, the Sounders have experimented with blue in "their" past. The mothership shows them switching to predominantly blue & white in the 1980s, just a year after the Whitecaps switched to blue & white from a Canadian red & white. Check out these 1983 Sounders kits in particular:

zsr791dq3r8fm9n3dh2xsv8c1.gifwetzydzcl6nyyf9kpyz0c2iey.gifu4wpcglof1z13mmofh96y4phz.gif

Yes, I get that. But, since the inception of the MLS Sounders, they have owned Rave Green. It's their unique thing, especially at home. I like the new blue for a 3rd or even an occasional away kit but I think Rave Green has to be their home look. 

20 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Yes, I get that. But, since the inception of the MLS Sounders, they have owned Rave Green. It's their unique thing, especially at home. I like the new blue for a 3rd or even an occasional away kit but I think Rave Green has to be their home look. 

Agree. They got different history in MLS (and better colour pattern ;) )

whereicomefrom.png

Archived