Good logos ruined by bad teams

FirearmofMutiny

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toronto_blue_jays_alternate_logo.gif

Honestly, pretty much all Jays logos that aren't the original can be thrown in here. Even the current logo has, so far, been representative of one season where most people outside of Canada even remembered they existed.

The long forgotten Charlotte Bobcats had some pretty cool logos...

kqt7ckdfs8bzgryshc0ea95wo.gif

charlotte-bobcats-logo-nba-1024x768.jpg

How would you guys attribute this identity failing to catch on? Hornets nostalgia or poor on-court performance?

I think it's both... People in Charlotte wanted the Hornets name back, and the Bobcats never finished above .500 except one season where they were the 8th seed in a very weak East, and got swept.

Not to mention I just don't like the name "Bobcats" and it was allegedly named after the then-owner.

Logo isn't terrible, but the uniforms worn with it were...the only uni I liked from that set was the 2004 home where they wore a grey cap. Once they went to full-time black caps, I hated their look. Ever heard of the Toronto Black Jays? No? Well, there you have it. I was so glad when they went back to blue. I wish they'd bring back their old road powder blues as an alternate, even though many would loudly complain.

Honestly, pretty much all Jays logos that aren't the original can be thrown in here. Even the current logo has, so far, been representative of one season where most people outside of Canada even remembered they existed.

The long forgotten Charlotte Bobcats had some pretty cool logos...

kqt7ckdfs8bzgryshc0ea95wo.gif

charlotte-bobcats-logo-nba-1024x768.jpg

How would you guys attribute this identity failing to catch on? Hornets nostalgia or poor on-court performance?

I think it's both... People in Charlotte wanted the Hornets name back, and the Bobcats never finished above .500 except one season where they were the 8th seed in a very weak East, and got swept.

Not to mention I just don't like the name "Bobcats" and it was allegedly named after the then-owner.

Also the owner tried to start his own regional sports network that did not have good coverage in the Carolinas. Then when that failed he made a deal with Timer Warner to put games on a cable news channel, which wasn't available if you didn't have Time Warner. Time Warner agreed to end that deal when they got namings rights for Bobcats Arena.

In addition, I think playing the first season in the old Charlotte Coliseum was a bad move and Bob Johnson agreed after the fact. Going to games at the old hive probably made people long for the old team and not get so interested in the new one.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

xvgv0rqjqk285m2g3m8ucio7f.gif
This is my fave Canucks logo of all-time, despite the fact that for a majority of their years using it (in their many jersey iterations) they were crappy (but in some years, did make the playoffs and got to the 1982 Stanley Cup Final, despite their record; they were tops in 1994, and that in and of itself is another story).

UBwef0L.png

I bet you 20 epoints they win a playoff series in that logo!

150px-Columbus_Blue_Jackets_Logo_2000_-_

The more I look at that CBJ's (should I say CJB's) logo it looks better and better...

Eww. I hate this logo. It says nothing about the team, it's accompanying secondary logo was no help, and it says CJB (I have a friend who still calls them the Jackets Blue because of this logo and he's a Jackets fan as well.) They were right to change to a more focused identity.

Their current logo is a great logo being ruined by bad teams. Their old logo was a bad logo befitting a bad team.

PvO6ZWJ.png

and the Vancouver Canucks could just as easily be called the "Orca Whales". So what?

At least with the new logo you know what it is. The old one was what, a ribbon? A ribbon with a hockey stick with a christmas tree topper on it? Why is that happening? What was that thing trying to be?

Besides that the foolishly killed off Kepi Hat secondary logo working in tandem with the primary logo spelled out the whole civil war theme. The new shoulder patch does too, but in a less visually pleasing way IMO. The CJB logo had Stinger doing the heavy lifting and he only further confounded what the hell the team was named after. Even with the misstep to the new cannon shoulder patch it's still a more complete identity.

The second crack at the identity really cleaned up the first crack's swing and miss.

PvO6ZWJ.png

ottawa-senators-first-logo.gif

Not sure about that one myself, that logo (albeit with a slightly different laurel leaf design in the circle) was used until 2007, making the playoffs 10 straight years to that point following the first four years after expansion. I still associate the 2D logo with making the playoffs for the first time, and winning the eastern conference in the final win that logo saw.

lemieux1.jpg

Also, may not have been the case 30 years ago, but it's been a while now since they donned these again

benoit-pouliot-taylor-hall-nhl-dallas-st

Archived